Permission for music

Sarah Fosdick
Hi, I am a piano student, and I have a piano test coming up. I know the song "Comptine d'un autre été - L'aprés-midi by Yann Tiersen. I printed the sheet music off your website, and was wondering if I have permission to use the music for my coming up piano test?
Thank you!

Re: Permission for music

Manuela
Which website would that be? AFAIK this here is a mailing list, there is no website with music sheets.

Greetings
Manuela

Hi, I am a piano student, and I have a piano test coming up. I know the song "Comptine d'un autre été - L'aprés-midi by Yann Tiersen. I printed the sheet music off your website, and was wondering if I have permission to use the music for my coming up piano test?
Thank you!

Re: Permission for music

Remy CLAVERIE

May be she was talking about the IMSLP website ?

The best,

Rémy

> Message du 24/05/17 11:10

> De : "Manuela Gößnitzer" <[hidden email]>
> A : "Sarah Fosdick" <[hidden email]>
> Copie à : "lilypond-user Mailinglist" <[hidden email]>
> Objet : Re: Permission for music

Which website would that be? AFAIK this here is a mailing list, there is no website with music sheets.

Greetings

Manuela

Hi, I am a piano student, and I have a piano test coming up. I know the song "Comptine d'un autre été - L'aprés-midi by Yann Tiersen. I printed the sheet music off your website, and was wondering if I have permission to use the music for my coming up piano test?
Thank you!

Re: Permission for music

N. Andrew Walsh
Hi List,

doing a quick google search for the title and "sheet music" returns this link on the first page:

which was engraved with Lilypond (as noted in the sheet music). I'm guessing this is the sheet music to which the OP is referring.

Sarah, if that is the case, I'm afraid neither Lilypond, nor likely anybody on this list, is in a position to grant permission to perform the score in question, as it's not from us (that website just used Lilypond to do the engraving). Furthermore, I'm pretty sure that piece (as the movie is barely a decade old, I think) is still under copyright, so it's entirely possible the website itself doesn't have permission to distribute it, either.

That said, as a piano test is not technically a public performance, it's entirely possible that this falls under "fair use for educational purposes", and that no permission is required. But copyright law is very complicated, and different by country (and even by specific circumstance).

You'll have to use your own best judgment here. Maybe ask your teacher?

Lastly, I hope you like the score! This list is for people who use the software that prints beautiful-looking sheet music, and we're all very proud of the results it produces. If you ever want to start writing your *own* music, the people here are incredibly helpful and friendly, and will gladly (and generously) donate their time to help you. Feel free to drop by and ask questions any time.

Good luck on your piano test!

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 11:09 AM, Manuela Gößnitzer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Which website would that be? AFAIK this here is a mailing list, there is no website with music sheets.

Greetings
Manuela

Hi, I am a piano student, and I have a piano test coming up. I know the song "Comptine d'un autre été - L'aprés-midi by Yann Tiersen. I printed the sheet music off your website, and was wondering if I have permission to use the music for my coming up piano test?
Thank you!

Re: Permission for music

Manuela
IMSLP hosts only free scores, the composer must have been deceased for more than 70 years. Last time I checked YT was still alive ;-) actually he is much younger than I am.

I have done engraving of Amelie theme myself for private purposes, I think the sheet I produced is nicer than Kevin's.

Greetings
Manuela

[...]

mskala
On Wed, 24 May 2017, Manuela Gößnitzer wrote:
> Which website would that be? AFAIK this here is a mailing list, there is no
> website with music sheets.

This is one reason that putting advertising for the LilyPond Web site in
every PDF document by default may not be such a great idea.  It makes
LilyPond appear to have a meaningful connection with the content.

--
Matthew Skala
[hidden email]                 People before principles.

Re: Permission for music

Paul Scott-4
On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 02:35:57PM +0200, Manuela Gößnitzer wrote:
> IMSLP hosts only free scores, the composer must have been deceased for more
> than 70 years.

It's not that simple at all.  IMSLP has music that is copyrighted and relies
on the downloader to not break copyright laws.

For example, I can download the score for the R. Vaughan Williams tuba
concerto.  He died 59 years ago and the concerto was written 63 years ago.
I can legally use that score for performance in Mexico and China but not in
Britain.

Paul

Re: Permission for music

Simon Albrecht-2
Am 24.05.2017 um 15:41 schrieb [hidden email]:
> On Wed, 24 May 2017, Manuela Gößnitzer wrote:
>> Which website would that be? AFAIK this here is a mailing list, there is no
>> website with music sheets.
> This is one reason that putting advertising for the LilyPond Web site in
> every PDF document by default may not be such a great idea.  It makes
> LilyPond appear to have a meaningful connection with the content.

Only if you overlook that the tagline specifically says the music was
_engraved_ with LilyPond, which does not tell anything about any
connection between LilyPond and the _content_.

Best, Simon

Re: Permission for music

mskala
On Wed, 24 May 2017, Simon Albrecht wrote:
> > This is one reason that putting advertising for the LilyPond Web site in
> > every PDF document by default may not be such a great idea.  It makes
> > LilyPond appear to have a meaningful connection with the content.
>
> Only if you overlook that the tagline specifically says the music was
> _engraved_ with LilyPond, which does not tell anything about any connection
> between LilyPond and the _content_.

But people do overlook that, as this thread demonstrates.

--
Matthew Skala
[hidden email]                 People before principles.
http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/

Re: Permission for music

Karlin High
On 5/24/2017 5:19 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> On Wed, 24 May 2017, Simon Albrecht wrote:
>> Only if you overlook that the tagline specifically says the music was
>> _engraved_ with LilyPond, which does not tell anything about any connection
>> between LilyPond and the _content_.
>>
>> But people do overlook that, as this thread demonstrates.

I can understand the oversight. There are lots of less-common terms that
can appear in copyright notices down near the tagline, like
"administered," "assigned," and so on. Before reading the LilyPond
essay, the term "engraved" had no meaning to me in the context of music.
Maybe it's another obscure copyright term? If I print a LilyPond
tagline, I use "Made with..." instead of "Engraved..." because my
audiences likely haven't heard of "engraving" music either.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

Re: Permission for music

David Wright
On Wed 24 May 2017 at 22:30:46 (+0000), Karlin High wrote:

> > On Wed, 24 May 2017, Simon Albrecht wrote:
> >> Only if you overlook that the tagline specifically says the music was
> >> _engraved_ with LilyPond, which does not tell anything about any connection
> >> between LilyPond and the _content_.
> >>
> >> But people do overlook that, as this thread demonstrates.
>
> I can understand the oversight. There are lots of less-common terms that
> can appear in copyright notices down near the tagline, like
> "administered," "assigned," and so on. Before reading the LilyPond
> essay, the term "engraved" had no meaning to me in the context of music.
> Maybe it's another obscure copyright term? If I print a LilyPond
> tagline, I use "Made with..." instead of "Engraved..." because my
> audiences likely haven't heard of "engraving" music either.
> --
> Karlin High
> Missouri, USA

Perhaps this is because educators are pandering to their ignorance,
thus decreasing the likelihood they'll ever encounter the term.
I'm glad that LilyPond's authors know precisely what it does so well.

Cheers,
David.

Re: Permission for music

mskala
On Wed, 24 May 2017, David Wright wrote:
> Perhaps this is because educators are pandering to their ignorance,
> thus decreasing the likelihood they'll ever encounter the term.
> I'm glad that LilyPond's authors know precisely what it does so well.

Removing the advertisement is much easier than educating everyone who will
ever look at a piece of sheet music about what the word "engrave" means.

On Wed 24 May 2017 at 20:42:36 (-0500), [hidden email] wrote:
> On Wed, 24 May 2017, David Wright wrote:
> > Perhaps this is because educators are pandering to their ignorance,
> > thus decreasing the likelihood they'll ever encounter the term.
> > I'm glad that LilyPond's authors know precisely what it does so well.
>
> Removing the advertisement is much easier than educating everyone who will
> ever look at a piece of sheet music about what the word "engrave" means.

You don't say!

 \header { tagline = ##f }

Cheers,
David.

RE: Permission for music

Mark Stephen Mrotek
So we should burn the books because the ignorant refuse to learn?

[hidden email] writes:

> On Wed, 24 May 2017, Simon Albrecht wrote:
>> > This is one reason that putting advertising for the LilyPond Web
>> > site in every PDF document by default may not be such a great idea.
>> > It makes LilyPond appear to have a meaningful connection with the
>> > content.
>>
>> Only if you overlook that the tagline specifically says the music was
>> _engraved_ with LilyPond, which does not tell anything about any
>> connection between LilyPond and the _content_.
>
> But people do overlook that, as this thread demonstrates.

People vote for Trump and Brexit given the chance.  At some point of
time, you just need to give them all the info and pray.  You cannot hope
to save them from themselves.