Pedal style doesn't seem to work

ptoye
Pedal style doesn't seem to work Wanting to use bracket style pedals. The snippet below gives me 19-th century style "Ped" mark. What am I doing wrong please?

\version "2.19.52"

\language "english"

   \new Staff {
     \clef "treble"
     \relative {
       c''4 d e f | g f e d | c d e f

   \new Dynamics {
     \set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket
     s1\sustainOn
     s1\sustainOff\sustainOn
     s1\sustainOff

Thanks in advance,

Peter
[hidden email]
www.ptoye.com

Re: Pedal style doesn't seem to work

Mark Knoop-4
At 11:52 on 07 Feb 2017, Peter Toye wrote:
>Wanting to use bracket style pedals. The snippet below gives me 19-th
>century style "Ped" mark. What am I doing wrong please?

A Dynamics context is not a Staff context. See below...

>\version "2.19.52"
>
>\language "english"
>
>\score {
>  <<
>    \new Staff {
>      \clef "treble"
>      \relative {
>        c''4 d e f | g f e d | c d e f
>      }
>    }
>
>    \new Dynamics {
      % \set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket
      % use Dynamics
      \set Dynamics.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket
      % or specify no context
      \set pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket

--
Mark Knoop

Re: Pedal style doesn't seem to work

ptoye
Re: Pedal style doesn't seem to work Mark,

Thanks. I'm used to object-oriented programming, in which I'd have expected a Dynamic staff to be a descendent of Staff. I was wrong!

Best regards,

Peter
[hidden email]
www.ptoye.com

-------------------------

> At 11:52 on 07 Feb 2017, Peter Toye wrote:
>>Wanting to use bracket style pedals. The snippet below gives me 19-th
>>century style "Ped" mark. What am I doing wrong please?

> A Dynamics context is not a Staff context. See below...

>>\version "2.19.52"

>>\language "english"

>>\score {
>>  <<
>>    \new Staff {
>>      \clef "treble"
>>      \relative {
>>        c''4 d e f | g f e d | c d e f
>>      }
>>    }

>>    \new Dynamics {
>       % \set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket
>       % use Dynamics
>       \set Dynamics.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket
>       % or specify no context
>       \set pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket
>>      s1\sustainOn
>>      s1\sustainOff\sustainOn
>>      s1\sustainOff
>>    }

>>  >>
>>}

> --
> Mark Knoop

Re: Pedal style doesn't seem to work

Noeck
Dear Peter,

Am 07.02.2017 um 14:04 schrieb Peter Toye:
> I'd have expected a Dynamic staff to be a descendent of Staff. I was wrong!

This is wrong in your case. But it is not completely out of scope. A
TabStaff for instance is derived from a Staff:

\new TabStaff {
  \override Staff.Clef.font-size = -5
  a b c d
}

Best,
Joram

Re: Pedal style doesn't seem to work

David Kastrup
Noeck <[hidden email]> writes:

> Dear Peter,
>
> Am 07.02.2017 um 14:04 schrieb Peter Toye:
>> I'd have expected a Dynamic staff to be a descendent of Staff. I was wrong!
>
> This is wrong in your case. But it is not completely out of scope. A
> TabStaff for instance is derived from a Staff:
>
> \new TabStaff {
>   \override Staff.Clef.font-size = -5
>   a b c d
> }

It isn't as much "derived from" as it is a redefined copy.  But the act
of copying is a red herring here: it would make no difference if you
defined it in the same manner from scratch.

The important thing is that the definition of TabStaff contains a line

    \alias "Staff"

and it is that line and nothing else which makes Staff-level overrides
register on a TabStaff.

The original code would have worked fine after

\layout {
  \context {
    \Dynamics
    \alias "Staff"

as well, but I am skeptical that one would _want_ such an alias.