PNG problem with 2.5.27 on WinXP

Roman V. Isaev

        I installed 2.5.27 on WinXP box and it worked fine but it fails
to generate PNG files :( I have python installed and 2.4.2 works okay.
When I tried to find out what happens I found that file lilylib.py
is missing. I tried to place an old lilylib.py from 2.4.2 there but
it did not work. And lilylib.py from latest CVS doesn't work either --
it has to be modified during compilation...

        How to solve this problem? I need PNG files as preview
images for PDFs...

        BTW I don't see any diagnostics when lilypond works. It may be ok
for these who love drag&drop, but I work in bash (cygwin) and use makefile
to generate several PDF and PNG files at once. How to force lilypond to
print diagnostics to stdout, like 2.4.2 did? Also I can't run lilypond -h
to find out all command line options...

--
 Roman V. Isaev         http://www.soprano-recorder.ru         Moscow, Russia

Re: PNG problem with 2.5.27 on WinXP

Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Roman V. Isaev writes:

> I installed 2.5.27 on WinXP box and it worked fine but it fails
> to generate PNG files.
> When I tried to find out what happens I found that file lilylib.py
> is missing.

This is a known bug, we should rewrite this functionality in guile.
The native lilypond does not have a python interpreter.

> How to solve this problem? I need PNG files as preview
> images for PDFs...

I hope we'll get around to fix this before 2.6.  Otherwise, just stick
with Cygwin if you're happy with that.

> BTW I don't see any diagnostics when lilypond works. It may be ok
> for these who love drag&drop, but I work in bash (cygwin) and use makefile
> to generate several PDF and PNG files at once. How to force lilypond to
> print diagnostics to stdout, like 2.4.2 did? Also I can't run lilypond -h
> to find out all command line options...

That's strange.  It works for me.  Do you run from a Cygwin terminal?

If you really want, you can hack the file

    .../usr/share/lilypond/x.y.z/scm/lily.scm

and set

    (define (running-from-gui? #f))

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

On 06/05, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> > How to solve this problem? I need PNG files as preview
> > images for PDFs...
> I hope we'll get around to fix this before 2.6.  Otherwise, just stick
> with Cygwin if you're happy with that.

        Umm, I can't apply old ps2png because lilypond --ps doesn't work, it
doesn't leave .ps file, only pdf.

> > BTW I don't see any diagnostics when lilypond works. It may be ok
> > for these who love drag&drop, but I work in bash (cygwin) and use makefile
> > to generate several PDF and PNG files at once. How to force lilypond to
> > print diagnostics to stdout, like 2.4.2 did? Also I can't run lilypond -h
> > to find out all command line options...
> That's strange.  It works for me.  Do you run from a Cygwin terminal?

        Yes. I tried both cygwin terminal and cmd.exe console.

> If you really want, you can hack the file
>     .../usr/share/lilypond/x.y.z/scm/lily.scm
> and set
>     (define (running-from-gui? #f))

        I did it. Still it exits immediately and doesn't show lilypond -h
output. OS is Windows XP 5.1.2600

Roman V. Isaev writes:

> Umm, I can't apply old ps2png because lilypond --ps doesn't work, it
> doesn't leave .ps file, only pdf.

That's if running from gui, only

> Yes. I tried both cygwin terminal and cmd.exe console.

What operating system do you use?  We may have to find a different way
to determine running from gui.

>>     (define (running-from-gui? #f))
>
> I did it. Still it exits immediately and doesn't show lilypond -h
> output. OS is Windows XP 5.1.2600

Duh.  My bad, try

    (define (running-from-gui?) #f)

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: PNG problem with 2.5.27 on WinXP

Roman V. Isaev
On 06/05, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> > Yes. I tried both cygwin terminal and cmd.exe console.
> What operating system do you use?  We may have to find a different way
> to determine running from gui.

        Microsoft Windows XP. Exact version is 5.1.2600. Russian edition. I
don't know how to look up cygwin version:

$ bash --version
GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(1)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)

$ cygcheck -V
cygcheck version 1.59
System Checker for Cygwin
Copyright 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Red Hat, Inc.
Compiled on Nov 10 2004

By the way, I had to comment out in lilypond.bat
cd %USERPROFILE%\<<Desktop>>
where <<Desktop>> is cyrillic "rabochij stol" because cd doesn't like
to go into argument with spaces...

> >>     (define (running-from-gui? #f))
> >
> > I did it. Still it exits immediately and doesn't show lilypond -h
> > output. OS is Windows XP 5.1.2600
> Duh.  My bad, try
>     (define (running-from-gui?) #f)

        Just tried this. It worked partially. Exits immediately if I supply -h flag.
No tty output ever. But at least it left .ps file when I supplied --ps flag
I created png file with ps2png from old 2.4.2 distribution, but the bottom
of the score is cut short, right across copyright line :)

        But as result now I don't have diagnostics anymore at all -- neither
in cygwin terminal nor in the gui window :(

Roman V. Isaev writes:

> Microsoft Windows XP. Exact version is 5.1.2600. Russian edition. I
> don't know how to look up cygwin version:

Ok.

> By the way, I had to comment out in lilypond.bat
> cd %USERPROFILE%\<<Desktop>>
> where <<Desktop>> is cyrillic "rabochij stol" because cd doesn't like
> to go into argument with spaces...

Does adding quotes help?

> Just tried this. It worked partially. Exits immediately if I
> supply -h flag.  No tty output ever.

How odd.  I cannot debug this, as it works for me.

$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 xyz 1.5.12(0.116/4/2) 2004-11-10 08:34 i686 unknown unknown Cygwin
$ ./lilypond --help
GNU LilyPond 2.5.27^M
Usage: lilypond [OPTION]... FILE...^M
^M
Typeset music and/or produce MIDI from FILE.^M
^M
LilyPond produces beautiful music notation.^M
For more information, see http://lilypond.org^M
^M
  -b, --backend=BACK             use backend BACK (gnome, ps [default],^M

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: PNG problem with 2.5.27 on WinXP

Roman V. Isaev
On 06/05, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> > By the way, I had to comment out in lilypond.bat
> > cd %USERPROFILE%\<<Desktop>>
> > where <<Desktop>> is cyrillic "rabochij stol" because cd doesn't like
> > to go into argument with spaces...
> Does adding quotes help?

        Nope. Because real path is "d:\Documents and Settings\rm\<<Desktop>>>"
while batch file wants to go to "d:\Documents and Settings\<<Desktop>>>"
rm is my username in XP (I suspect it's different from win98, but I don't
have 98 boxes around to prove this).

> > Just tried this. It worked partially. Exits immediately if I
> > supply -h flag.  No tty output ever.
> How odd.  I cannot debug this, as it works for me.
> $ uname -a
> CYGWIN_NT-5.1 xyz 1.5.12(0.116/4/2) 2004-11-10 08:34 i686 unknown unknown Cygwin

My uname -a output is same, exactly...

        Well, how to hack lilypond so it would leave .ps in gui mode until
PNG-able version goes out? And why old ps2png can cut the bottom of the
png page?

Roman V. Isaev writes:

> On 06/05, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
>
>> > By the way, I had to comment out in lilypond.bat
>> > cd %USERPROFILE%\<<Desktop>>
>> > where <<Desktop>> is cyrillic "rabochij stol" because cd doesn't like
>> > to go into argument with spaces...
>> Does adding quotes help?
>
> Nope. Because real path is "d:\Documents and Settings\rm\<<Desktop>>>"
> while batch file wants to go to "d:\Documents and Settings\<<Desktop>>>"
> rm is my username in XP (I suspect it's different from win98, but I don't
> have 98 boxes around to prove this).

Quite strange.  The installer explicitely asks where the desktop is, and the answer it got was %USERPROFILE%\Desktop>.

What does

    regtool get '/user/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/User Shell Folders/Desktop'

say?

> Well, how to hack lilypond so it would leave .ps in gui mode until
> PNG-able version goes out? And why old ps2png can cut the bottom of the
> png page?

try hacking scm/backend-library.scm.  The next version will have png
output, becaus it was quiet on the mailing lists today ;-)

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: PNG problem with 2.5.27 on WinXP

Roman V. Isaev

> >> Does adding quotes help?
> > Nope. Because real path is "d:\Documents and Settings\rm\<<Desktop>>>"
> > while batch file wants to go to "d:\Documents and Settings\<<Desktop>>>"
> > rm is my username in XP (I suspect it's different from win98, but I don't
> > have 98 boxes around to prove this).
> Quite strange.  The installer explicitely asks where the desktop is, and the answer it got was %USERPROFILE%\Desktop>.
> What does
>     regtool get '/user/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/User Shell Folders/Desktop'
> say?

        There is no such regtool.exe binaries in my Windows installation...

> > Well, how to hack lilypond so it would leave .ps in gui mode until
> > PNG-able version goes out? And why old ps2png can cut the bottom of the
> > png page?
> try hacking scm/backend-library.scm.  The next version will have png
> output, becaus it was quiet on the mailing lists today ;-)

        Uhm, just looked there... darn intimidating. Well, commenting out

(if (running-from-gui?) (delete-file name)

did the trick. Now only if I could find why PNG files got truncated at
bottom... probably it's a problem with paper sizes.

Roman V. Isaev writes:

>>     regtool get '/user/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/User Shell Folders/Desktop'
>> say?
>
> There is no such regtool.exe binaries in my Windows installation...

Try cygwin.

> did the trick. Now only if I could find why PNG files got truncated at
> bottom... probably it's a problem with paper sizes.

Yes, probably.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: PNG problem with 2.5.27 on WinXP

Roman V. Isaev
On 06/05, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> >>     regtool get '/user/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/User Shell Folders/Desktop'
> >> say?
> > There is no such regtool.exe binaries in my Windows installation...
> Try cygwin.

        Ah, yes. It returns %USERPROFILE%\<<Desktop>> Yet real desktop is
under username in %USERPROFILE%...

--
 Roman V. Isaev         http://www.gunlab.com.ru         Moscow, Russia