Ossia-like scordatura positioning question

Ossia-like scordatura positioning question

Menu Jacques
Hello folks,

This is similar to an ossia, aiming at showing the scordatura graphically.

I don’t understand why the \new Staff shows up below the staff containing c’4, and not above it, which would be better I think.

Thanks for your help!

JM

\version "2.19"

P_POne_Staff_One_Voice_One = \relative {

  \key c \major
  \time 4/4
  \clef "treble"

  <<
    \new Staff {
      \hide Staff.Stem
      \hide Staff.TimeSignature
      \tiny
      <c' g f'>4^\markup {\bold "Scordatura"}
      c'4
    }

  \bar "|."

    \new Staff = "P_POne_Staff_One"
    <<
      \context Voice = "P_POne_Staff_One_Voice_One" <<
        \P_POne_Staff_One_Voice_One

  \layout {}

Re: Ossia-like scordatura positioning question

David Kastrup
Menu Jacques <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello folks,
>
> This is similar to an ossia, aiming at showing the scordatura graphically.
>
> I don’t understand why the \new Staff shows up below the staff
> containing c’4, and not above it, which would be better I think.

LilyPond has no reason to create new staves _above_ existing staves.  It
would most certainly _not_ be generally better.

You can easily write

\new Staff \with { alignAboveContext = "P_POne_Staff_One" } ...

to change this.  It's what you'd do in ossia contexts too.

> \version "2.19"
>
> P_POne_Staff_One_Voice_One = \relative {
>
>   \key c \major
>   \time 4/4
>   \clef "treble"
>
>   <<
>     \new Staff {
>       \hide Staff.Stem
>       \hide Staff.TimeSignature
>       \tiny
>       <c' g f'>4^\markup {\bold "Scordatura"}
>     }
>     {
>       c'4
>     }
>   >>
>   \bar "|."
> }
>
> \score {
>   <<
>     \new Staff = "P_POne_Staff_One"
>     <<
>       \context Voice = "P_POne_Staff_One_Voice_One" <<
>         \P_POne_Staff_One_Voice_One
>       >>
>     >>
>   >>
>
>   \layout {}

Re: Ossia-like scordatura positioning question

Menu Jacques
Thanks David, I had missed that.

A nice day!

JM