Openlilylib snippets announcement

Andrew Bernard

Hello All,

Just letting you know that I have contributed some snippets to openlilylib worth having for doing some small things in contemporary style scores, but which need some Scheme coding.

Slashed beams

A function \slashBeam that can add a slash to the left or the right of a beamed group, with a fair degree of control over angle and position. This is a generalisation of work that others have created previously, in particular it extends the concept of \slash.

Slashed stems

The function \slashStem allows you to add a slash to a stem with a fair degree of control over position and angle. Note that this is a different case from slashing a beamed group. [There may be arguments against this but I wanted a separate function.] I developed this to make horizontal stem slashes, but it was easy to generalize.

Pedal decorations

People have often requested to be able to add cautionary labels to pedal brackets on continued lines. There have been many workarounds given. This solution in Scheme attacks the problem directly by modifying the bracket stencil. An arbitrary text label can be added, and optional continuation arrows can be added to the right hand end of the bracket. This style is commonly seen in contemporary scores.

These three new capabilities can be found under snippets/notation-snippets in the openlilylib repository.

If there do not exist bugs and defects I would be surprised. I am happy to take feedback and suggestions. The code is for the >= 2.19.45 releases. I have not tested on 2.18.2, and unless somebody requests, I don’t intend to.

Andrew

Re: Openlilylib snippets announcement

SoundsFromSound
Andrew Bernard wrote
[...]

Thanks Andrew!

Quick question, what is the difference between this openlilylib page and the other http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Search website?

Are these the same snippets overlapped or are they different content? I've only really known about and used the http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Search but openlilylib looks great! Love the layout and material.

composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: Openlilylib snippets announcement

Urs Liska

Am 22.11.2016 um 14:29 schrieb SoundsFromSound:
> Thanks Andrew!
>
> Quick question, what is the difference between this openlilylib page and the
> other http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Search website?
>
> Are these the same snippets overlapped or are they different content? I've
> only really known about and used the http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Search but
> openlilylib looks great! Love the layout and material.

openLilyLib is sort of a complement to the LSR, with some significant
differences.

1)
openLilyLib snippets (and packages) are designed to be includable. That
means once you have "installed" openLilyLib (by downloading/cloning and
adding it to LilyPond's include path) you can access the functionality
exposed in openLilyLib. Snippets from the LSR have to be copied and
pasted in your own files.

2)
OLL is managed as a Git repository on Github. This makes it easier to
contribute and update, which more or less was the motivation to start
with it.

##
In addition to the "snippets" repository there is a newer infrastructure
(but still more or less undocumented ...) that allows to create
"packages" of coherent functionality. As an example: Given the
respective packages are installed you can for example write

\include "scholarly/package.ily"
\loadModule scholarly.annotate

in your document and have commands available as e.g. \criticalRemark.
This package infrastructure also provides tools like option handling and
logging features.

Best
Urs

Re: Openlilylib snippets announcement

N. Andrew Walsh
Maybe someone on the list can help me quickly, because I *always* lose the instructions:

How do I actually install the oll repository locally? I don't see any instructions at https://github.com/openlilylib for how to do this. I assume it's with the 'git remote add' command, but I don't see this explicitly stated anywhere. Can one of you please help?

Am 7. Dezember 2016 13:51:26 MEZ, schrieb "N. Andrew Walsh" <[hidden email]>:

>Maybe someone on the list can help me quickly, because I *always* lose
>the
>instructions:
>
>On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Urs Liska <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> 1)
>> openLilyLib snippets (and packages) are designed to be includable.
>That
>> means once you have "installed" openLilyLib (by downloading/cloning
>and
>> adding it to LilyPond's include path) you can access the
>functionality
>> exposed in openLilyLib. Snippets from the LSR have to be copied and
>> pasted in your own files.
>>

>How do I actually install the oll repository locally? I don't see any
>instructions at https://github.com/openlilylib for how to do this. I
>assume
>it's with the 'git remote add' command, but I don't see this explicitly
>stated anywhere. Can one of you please help?

Hm.
https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets
*does* have a README with instructions.

What you want is git clone (not remote add).

Clone
https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets into an arbitrary oll root directory and add "snippets" to thr include path.

Additionally you (specifically, for the Kayser scores) want at least the

oll-core
scholarly
breaks
page-layout

repositories in addition.
For these you have to add the root directory to Lily's include path.

HTH
Urs

>Cheers,

Re: Openlilylib snippets announcement

Noeck
Hi,

while I encourage everyone to use git (and I think it is no problem for
Andrew), perhaps it would make sense to explain the installation using
zip files, too. Github offers zip files under "Clone or download" and I
think thats a good alternative for people not familiar with git. In
addition, this link is independent of the commit and contains the branch
name, so the documentation (readme) could directly point to
https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/archive/master.zip for example.

Best,
Joram

Re: Openlilylib snippets announcement

Trevor Bača-2
Dear Andrew,

Just a quick note to tell you much I'm enjoying the pedal decorations work you implemented in openlilylib:

Being able to head a pedal bracket with L, M, R for the left, middle, right pedals is incredibly easy to do with the pedal decorations (and overcomes a hard limitation in LilyPond's default pedal spanner implementation which forbids custom markup). Thanks so much for publishing the work: all incorporated into the piano music I'm currently writing.

Also, I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that the pedal decorations were my first real interaction with openlilylib. Quite a collection of extensions! Other LilyPond users with even minimal Git experience will find it easy to clone the repository. And LilyPond users without Git experience might be interested in knowing that they can cut-and-paste directly from many of the openlilylib files directly into their own scores. The entire project is really worth checking out.

Thanks again,

Trevor.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 3:47 AM, Andrew Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Trevor Bača-2 wrote
...Quite a collection of extensions! Other LilyPond users with even minimal Git experience will find it easy to
clone the repository. And LilyPond users without Git experience might be
interested in knowing that they can cut-and-paste directly from many of the
openlilylib files directly into their own scores. The entire project is
really worth checking out.

Thanks again,

Trevor.
And as a brief aside - if I may say so - Trevor, thank YOU so much for all the work you have put (and still put) into Abjad.

I use it all the time. I use it in almost every composition. It's the first thing I go to when preparing a new piece, and for getting a lot of options in front of me. Nothing "algorithmic", just pure boatloads of options.

I love being able to create structure, set some boundaries, and then get a ton of inspiration from Abjad in a matter of hours instead of months. Such an amazing, powerful utility - and thanks for doing it in Python too :)

I love the direction that Abjad is going...hope it keeps on going strong!

Ben

Am 2016-12-27 17:22, schrieb Trevor Bača:

> Dear Andrew,
>
> Just a quick note to tell you much I'm enjoying the pedal decorations
> work you implemented in openlilylib:
>
> https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/tree/master/notation-snippets/pedal-decorations
>
> Being able to head a pedal bracket with L, M, R for the left, middle,
> right pedals is incredibly easy to do with the pedal decorations (and
> overcomes a hard limitation in LilyPond's default pedal spanner
> implementation which forbids custom markup). Thanks so much for
> publishing the work: all incorporated into the piano music I'm
> currently writing.
>
> Also, I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that the pedal decorations were
> my first real interaction with openlilylib.
> Quite a collection of extensions! Other LilyPond users with even
> minimal Git experience will find it easy to clone
> the repository. And LilyPond users without Git experience might be
> interested in knowing that they can
> cut-and-paste directly from many of the openlilylib files directly into
> their own scores. The entire project is
> really worth checking out.

I would like to hook into this.

I strongly suggest *not* to copy-and-paste the snippets into your own
files. One of the motivations to create openLilyLib as a complement to
the LSR was that it is *includable*, so you don't have to create literal
copies in your own files.

People without Git experience or the willingness to install it should
rather download a copy of the repository as a ZIP file, which is
available from the project page
(https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets) through the green "Clone or
download" button.
Simply extract the archive to some location on your disk and add that
directory to LilyPond's search path (either as a command line argument
or through Frescobaldi's Preference dialog.

Best
Urs

> Thanks again,
>
> Trevor.
>
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 3:47 AM, Andrew Bernard
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Just letting you know that I have contributed some snippets to
>> openlilylib worth having for doing some small things in contemporary
>> style scores, but which need some Scheme coding.
>>
>> Slashed beams
>>
>> A function \slashBeam that can add a slash to the left or the right of
>> a beamed group, with a fair degree of control over angle and position.
>> This is a generalisation of work that others have created previously,
>> in particular it extends the concept of \slash.
>>
>> Slashed stems
>>
>> The function \slashStem allows you to add a slash to a stem with a
>> fair degree of control over position and angle. Note that this is a
>> different case from slashing a beamed group. [There may be arguments
>> against this but I wanted a separate function.] I developed this to
>> make horizontal stem slashes, but it was easy to generalize.
>>
>> Pedal decorations
>>
>> People have often requested to be able to add cautionary labels to
>> pedal brackets on continued lines. There have been many workarounds
>> given. This solution in Scheme attacks the problem directly by
>> modifying the bracket stencil. An arbitrary text label can be added,
>> and optional continuation arrows can be added to the right hand end of
>> the bracket. This style is commonly seen in contemporary scores.
>>
>> These three new capabilities can be found under
>> snippets/notation-snippets in the openlilylib repository.
>>
>> If there do not exist bugs and defects I would be surprised. I am
>> happy to take feedback and suggestions. The code is for the >= 2.19.45
>> releases. I have not tested on 2.18.2, and unless somebody requests, I
>> don't intend to.
>>
>> Andrew

> Trevor Bača
> www.trevorbaca.com
> soundcloud.com/trevorbaca

Re: Openlilylib snippets announcement

SoundsFromSound
Urs Liska wrote
Am 2016-12-27 17:22, schrieb Trevor Bača:

> Dear Andrew,
>
> Just a quick note to tell you much I'm enjoying the pedal decorations
> work you implemented in openlilylib:
>
> https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/tree/master/notation-snippets/pedal-decorations
>
> Being able to head a pedal bracket with L, M, R for the left, middle,
> right pedals is incredibly easy to do with the pedal decorations (and
> overcomes a hard limitation in LilyPond's default pedal spanner
> implementation which forbids custom markup). Thanks so much for
> publishing the work: all incorporated into the piano music I'm
> currently writing.
>
> Also, I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that the pedal decorations were
> my first real interaction with openlilylib.
> Quite a collection of extensions! Other LilyPond users with even
> minimal Git experience will find it easy to clone
> the repository. And LilyPond users without Git experience might be
> interested in knowing that they can
> cut-and-paste directly from many of the openlilylib files directly into
> their own scores. The entire project is
> really worth checking out.

I would like to hook into this.

I strongly suggest *not* to copy-and-paste the snippets into your own
files. One of the motivations to create openLilyLib as a complement to
the LSR was that it is *includable*, so you don't have to create literal
copies in your own files.

People without Git experience or the willingness to install it should
rather download a copy of the repository as a ZIP file, which is
available from the project page
(https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets) through the green "Clone or
download" button.
Simply extract the archive to some location on your disk and add that
directory to LilyPond's search path (either as a command line argument
or through Frescobaldi's Preference dialog.

Best
Urs
Urs,

How do you add the extracted Zip folder to Frescobaldi, where does that path go? I'm a little confused. The include path? I can't find a 'search path' in the options. Can you offer how to do this? Thank you!
composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: Openlilylib snippets announcement

Noeck
Hi,

> How do you add the extracted Zip folder to Frescobaldi, where does that path
> go? I'm a little confused. The include path? I can't find a 'search path' in
> the options. Can you offer how to do this? Thank you!

here: Bearbeiten > Einstellungen… > Lilypond-Einstellungen and there the
last point "LilyPond-Include-Verzeichnis" in German. Here you can add
the path to Openlilylib.

In English it should be:
Edit > Settings… > LilyPond settings and then "LilyPond include directory"

HTH,
Joram

Re: Openlilylib snippets announcement

SoundsFromSound
Noeck wrote
Hi,

> How do you add the extracted Zip folder to Frescobaldi, where does that path
> go? I'm a little confused. The include path? I can't find a 'search path' in
> the options. Can you offer how to do this? Thank you!

here: Bearbeiten > Einstellungen… > Lilypond-Einstellungen and there the
last point "LilyPond-Include-Verzeichnis" in German. Here you can add
the path to Openlilylib.

In English it should be:
Edit > Settings… > LilyPond settings and then "LilyPond include directory"

HTH,
Joram

Thank you for that. I did add the path to that location in Frescobaldi but how can I then call upon those snippets while inputting a score in the program? I'm missing something. Did I add the wrong folder? Snippets-master?

What is the easiest way to include a particular snippet in Frescobaldi using this openlilylib path approach? Thank you so much for the help!

composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: Openlilylib snippets announcement

Noeck
Hi,

I have done git clone (and I could have extracted the zip) of
Openlilylib inside
  /home/myusername/projects

The old-style stylesheet for instance is then located at
/home/myusername/projects/OpenLilyLib/stylesheets/old-style/settings.ily

So I add the first part in Frescobaldi as described before:
/home/myusername/projects/OpenLilyLib
Alternatively I could use lilypond on the commandline with the -I option:
  lilypond -I /home/myusername/projects/OpenLilyLib

In the ly-file, I include it via the rest of the path:
\include "stylesheets/old-style/settings.ily"

HTH,
Joram

Re: Openlilylib snippets announcement

SoundsFromSound
Noeck wrote
Hi,

I have done git clone (and I could have extracted the zip) of
Openlilylib inside
  /home/myusername/projects

The old-style stylesheet for instance is then located at
/home/myusername/projects/OpenLilyLib/stylesheets/old-style/settings.ily

So I add the first part in Frescobaldi as described before:
/home/myusername/projects/OpenLilyLib
Alternatively I could use lilypond on the commandline with the -I option:
  lilypond -I /home/myusername/projects/OpenLilyLib

In the ly-file, I include it via the rest of the path:
\include "stylesheets/old-style/settings.ily"

HTH,
Joram

Ah, perfect. This is incredibly useful. This makes my LilyPond work so much more streamlined. Thank you so much for your help!

Am 27. Dezember 2016 21:16:26 MEZ, schrieb SoundsFromSound <[hidden email]>:

>Noeck wrote
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have done git clone (and I could have extracted the zip) of
>> Openlilylib inside
>>   /home/myusername/projects
>>
>> The old-style stylesheet for instance is then located at
>>
>/home/myusername/projects/OpenLilyLib/stylesheets/old-style/settings.ily
>>
>> So I add the first part in Frescobaldi as described before:
>> /home/myusername/projects/OpenLilyLib
>> Alternatively I could use lilypond on the commandline with the -I
>option:
>>   lilypond -I /home/myusername/projects/OpenLilyLib
>>
>> In the ly-file, I include it via the rest of the path:
>> \include "stylesheets/old-style/settings.ily"
>>
>> HTH,
>> Joram

>Ah, perfect. This is incredibly useful. This makes my LilyPond work so
>much
>more streamlined.

:-)

> Thank you so much for your help!

Thanks, Joram, for stepping in while I was away)

Urs

>-----
>composer | sound designer
>LilyPond Tutorials (for beginners) --> http://bit.ly/bcl-lilypond

Re: Openlilylib snippets announcement

SoundsFromSound
Noeck wrote
Hi,

I have done git clone (and I could have extracted the zip) of
Openlilylib inside
  /home/myusername/projects

The old-style stylesheet for instance is then located at
/home/myusername/projects/OpenLilyLib/stylesheets/old-style/settings.ily

So I add the first part in Frescobaldi as described before:
/home/myusername/projects/OpenLilyLib
Alternatively I could use lilypond on the commandline with the -I option:
  lilypond -I /home/myusername/projects/OpenLilyLib

In the ly-file, I include it via the rest of the path:
\include "stylesheets/old-style/settings.ily"

HTH,
Joram

I tried setting it up exactly like you did (git clone and I also tried a simply unzip / copy, both have this error). I am getting an error trying to follow your example:

programming error: file name not normalized: stylesheets\old-style\settings.ily
continuing, cross fingers

What causes this? The path is correct I believe.

Sorry to be so slow today. Thank you for helping me.
composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: Openlilylib snippets announcement

SoundsFromSound
SoundsFromSound wrote
[...]

Sigh. I'm sorry everyone, I see my error. Good old back slash vs forward slash.
Once I changed the slashes, everything includes just fine via the path I gave Frescobaldi.
Again, apologies.

All set now! :)

Am 27.12.2016 um 21:47 schrieb SoundsFromSound:
> /programming error: file name not normalized:
> stylesheets\old-style\settings.ily

On windows? The difference between slashes and backslashes could be the
problem - don't know in which direction.

Joram

Re: Openlilylib snippets announcement

Christ van Willegen

Op 27 dec. 2016 21:48 schreef "SoundsFromSound" <[hidden email]>:

/programming error: file name not normalized:
stylesheets\old-style\settings.ily
continuing, cross fingers
/

You have backslashes instead of slashes?

HTH!

Christ van Willegen

Re: Openlilylib snippets announcement

Trevor Bača-2

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 11:03 AM, SoundsFromSound <[hidden email]> wrote:
Trevor Bača-2 wrote

And as a brief aside - if I may say so - Trevor, thank YOU so much for all
the work you have put (and still put) into Abjad.

I use it all the time. I use it in almost every composition. It's the first
thing I go to when preparing a new piece, and for getting a lot of options
in front of me. Nothing "algorithmic", just pure boatloads of options.

I love being able to create structure, set some boundaries, and then get a
ton of inspiration from Abjad in a matter of hours instead of months. Such
an amazing, powerful utility - and thanks for doing it in Python too :)

I love the direction that Abjad is going...hope it keeps on going strong!

Ben

Thanks, Ben! Those are kind words. And -- even more excitingly -- it's awesome to hear that you're getting legit compositional use outta Abjad! This has been the point the whole time: to make intermediate-level compositional ideas (ie, above notation but below the level of complete score) easier to model and -- ultimately -- enjoy while composing.

Abjad is still very much going strong: Josiah (Oberholtzer) and I both have many features in development branches waiting to be merged into main for Abjad 2.20. Among them: automated set-class analysis with a new SetClass object; compoundable twelve-tone operators; new Markup methods to better complement the LilyPond markup functions; a powerful façade pattern for persisting arbitrary compositional expressions to file; smarter item-indexing in the LilyPondFile object; and many more.

After more than a decade, the decision to implement Abjad in Python continues to wear very well. And although Abjad and LilyPond are architected differently, it's exciting to see LilyPond Python updates as an active topic on the LilyPond dev list again.

Every score I've written for more than 10 years now has been 100% Abjad plus LilyPond. At almost every rehearsal, musicians complement the clarity of the LilyPond-rendered scores and parts. And the compositional working pattern feels stronger and stronger every couple of weeks. In 2017 the goal will be to make Abjad increasingly easy to get started with: more cookbook-style documentation is coming up, as well as in-real-life camps and workshops throughout the year that I'll be hosting together with Josiah and Jeff Treviño.

Thanks for the feedback, and happy modeling and composing!

Trevor.