OpenType info tools

Werner LEMBERG

Folks,

the following two tools should help any user identify scripts and
features of OpenType fonts.

`fontdrop' is a nice browser tool which analyzes a font on your
harddisk without uploading it to a place in the internet.  It needs a
recent browser that supports OpenType CSS features.
[I haven't checked what license this stuff actually is.]

  http://fontdrop.viktornuebel.com/

`otfinfo' is a command line tool which is part of TeXLive and probably
other TeX distributions also; it is also available from

  https://www.lcdf.org/type/

    Werner

Re: OpenType info tools

tisimst
On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 6:10 AM, Werner LEMBERG [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:

the following two tools should help any user identify scripts and
features of OpenType fonts.

`fontdrop' is a nice browser tool which analyzes a font on your
harddisk without uploading it to a place in the internet.  It needs a
recent browser that supports OpenType CSS features.
[I haven't checked what license this stuff actually is.]

  http://fontdrop.viktornuebel.com/

`otfinfo' is a command line tool which is part of TeXLive and probably
other TeX distributions also; it is also available from

  https://www.lcdf.org/type/

Thanks for finding these!

FontDrop is really handy! I can see myself using it all the time. Although it seems to support many of the most likely used features, it doesn't show them all.

`otfinfo' seems to support more (all?), but does require the separate TeXLive install.

Best,
Abraham

Re: OpenType info tools

Werner LEMBERG

> FontDrop is really handy! I can see myself using it all the time.
> Although it seems to support many of the most likely used features,
> it doesn't show them all.

Note that you should be only interested in *typographic* features, not
the features mandatory for complex script support.

If you are missing something, please contact the authors.

> `otfinfo' seems to support more (all?), but does require the
> separate TeXLive install.

`otfinfo' simply reports what the font contains; it doesn't `support'
a single feature :-)

    Werner