OpenLilyLib with Windows

Johannes Roeßler
Hi, anybody here who was able to use OpenLilyLib successfully under windows 10? I struggle with the paths....
I included the OLL-Directory in the Settings of Frescobaldi, I also removed the "master" from the folder name generated by Git - still not working.
There was an interesting discussion regarding such an issue on http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/openLilyLib-on-Windows-10-td204416.html - but no conclusion.
Cheers Joei

Re: OpenLilyLib with Windows

Urs Liska-3

Am 11.01.2018 um 10:21 schrieb Johannes Roeßler:
Hi, anybody here who was able to use OpenLilyLib successfully under windows 10? I struggle with the paths....
I included the OLL-Directory in the Settings of Frescobaldi, I also removed the "master" from the folder name generated by Git - still not working.
There was an interesting discussion regarding such an issue on http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/openLilyLib-on-Windows-10-td204416.html - but no conclusion.
Cheers Joei

Please post:
  • The full path to the oll-core/package.ily file
  • The exact path given in Frescobaldi
  • The log of compiling a file that only contains \include "oll-core/package.ily"

Urs

Re: OpenLilyLib with Windows

foxfanfare
Hi!

I'm a new user of Lilypond and I'm trying to figure out if this software
could answer my needs in term of score engraving!

I'd like now to include the font bravura but I fear that I'm also stuck with
the same problems I read in this topic!

I also work with Windows 10, Lilypond 2.19.80 and Frescobaldi.

- Could someone please make a quick tutorial on how include the bravura
font?
- Is it necessary to work with openLilyLib or is it possible to do something
easier? I only succed to include other alternative free fonts made before by
tisimst.
- Is also SMuFL well implemented in Lilypond?

Thanks!

Re: OpenLilyLib with Windows

Malte Meyn-3

Am 31.03.2018 um 19:14 schrieb foxfanfare:
> - Could someone please make a quick tutorial on how include the bravura
> font?

Have a look at section 3.4.4 of the Notation Reference:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/replacing-the-notation-font.html
(this is the english version, not sure whether other languages have been
updated yet). Does that help you?

The LilyPond-compatible version of Bravura is called Profondo, you can
download it from https://github.com/OpenLilyPondFonts

> - Is it necessary to work with openLilyLib or is it possible to do something
> easier? I only succed to include other alternative free fonts made before by
> tisimst.

No, it’s not necessary to use openLilyLib, just install the font files
and then put something like

\paper {
   #(define fonts
     (set-global-fonts
      #:music "profondo"
      #:brace "profondo"))
}

in your file. If you want to use set-global-staffsize, you have to do
this before the \paper block and add another line:

#(set-global-staff-size 17)
\paper {
   #(define fonts
      (set-global-fonts
       #:music "profondo"
       #:brace "profondo"
       #:factor (/ staff-height pt 20)))
}

> - Is also SMuFL well implemented in Lilypond?

Not yet, but hopefully this will be done soon (not before 2.20 tough
probably). It’s one of the Google Summer of Code suggestions:
http://lilypond.org/google-summer-of-code.html

Re: OpenLilyLib with Windows

foxfanfare
Thank you for your quick answer! I allready read this notation reference
page, but I was confused with other articles wich refered to this
openLilyLib stuff...

When I applied your settings  with #(set-global-staff-size 17)  and later
#:factor (/ staff-height pt 20), I find the result a bit strange as all the
music seems to be smaller. Is it the same to put something like :

#(set-global-staff-size 20) / #:factor (/ staff-height pt 22.5) ?

As I said, I started with LP last week and I think I like this software more
and more. I used Sibelius those last years and I was going to buy Dorico but
I thought I could give a try to LP first. And for now I don't regret it!

The fact is that I made in Siblius a well balanced house-style (very
Henle...) with help of all engraving rules options. I feel allready quite
confortable working with text-input on LP in order to write the music, but
creating a new house-style here is very challenging for me!

For instance I feel like note-heads and stems aren't very well positioned
together... Even with the profondo-default.ily. But a LOT of things would
need some settings to fit my taste (default shape of slurs, lines thickness,
beams damping, ...).

I saw that part of the google summer project you spoke about was mentioning
this house-style thing (Support for Style Sheets). Can I find somewhere some
tutorials or codes in a LP custom score that I could start to work with?

Re: OpenLilyLib with Windows

Stefano Troncaro
Hi foxfanfare,

First of all welcome to the Lilypond world! AFAIK you would create a style-sheet by creating a file with a layout block that contains the settings for your house-style, and then you include that file in all the projects where that house-style is needed. That's the easy part. Filling it with the proper settings is the tough part. Finding the proper parameter to tweak can be a challenge, don't hesitate to write to the list with an example of the output you are getting and what you wish you were getting. It'll take some time an effort but you'll get there!

Also, there are many .ly files available in the Mutopia Project. You can search a few that has notation that interests you and how it was achieved.

Hope that helps!
Stéfano

[...]

Thank you for your answer! It is also wonderful to see such an active
community!
I guess I'll have to learn a lot more by reading all the notation guide
before bothering everybody!

Re: OpenLilyLib with Windows

Andrew Bernard
Hi @foxfanfare,

I feel sure somebody on the list has made a Henle piano music style sheet. Kieran?

Amusingly, the thing I like most about lilypond is that out of the box with no tweaking it looks nothing like Henle Verlag editions. :-)

But I understand people are fond of Henle - it's what they grew up with, spending countless hours in front of it at the piano.

Andrew

Am 01.04.2018 um 15:48 schrieb foxfanfare:

> When I applied your settings  with #(set-global-staff-size 17)  and later
> #:factor (/ staff-height pt 20), I find the result a bit strange as all the
> music seems to be smaller. Is it the same to put something like :
>
> #(set-global-staff-size 20) / #:factor (/ staff-height pt 22.5) ?

#(set-global-staff-size X) does what its name says: it changes the
global staff size from 20pt (LilyPond’s default value) to whatever X is.

#:factor is then needed because the font has to be scaled to this new
staff size.

If you don’t want to change the staff size you won’t need those two things.

Re: OpenLilyLib with Windows

foxfanfare
Thank you for all your answer. I started a separate thread for  my other
questions.
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/First-steps-in-Lilypond-td211315.html>

Andrew Bernard wrote
> Amusingly, the thing I like most about lilypond is that out of the box
> with
> no tweaking it looks nothing like Henle Verlag editions. :-)

Interesting! Could you please elaborate a bit more what you dislike about
this edition? I worked with a lot of different editions but I truely believe
they have achieved something nearly perfect with their texts! I really can't
think of anything I wouldn't like in their house-style... So I'm curious to
hear your point of view!

Re: OpenLilyLib with Windows

Karlin High
On 4/1/2018 10:49 AM, Andrew Bernard wrote:
> I feel sure somebody on the list has made a Henle piano music style
> sheet. Kieren?

<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=Henle+Piano+Template&submit=Search&idxname=lilypond-user>

July and August 2013 seems to be the most active for this topic. Good
chance Kieren MacMillan has developed it further since then.

<http://kierenmacmillan.info/#contact>
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA