Off-topics : vibrato

Schneidy
Hi List,
Does anyone know a modern notation to indicate a vibrato ?
Thanks,
Pierre

Re: Off-topics : vibrato

Mike Solomon
On 24 avr. 2013, at 16:31, Pierre Perol-Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi List,
Does anyone know a modern notation to indicate a vibrato ?
Thanks,
Pierre

Squiggles above the staff seem to get the desired effect. See, for example, http://ensemble101.fr/scores/tragedyvii.pdf

I don't have access to the code now but will later this week - email me if u want it.

Cheers,
MS

Re: Off-topics : vibrato

Schneidy
Thanks Mike, looks interesting.
Do you think that this notation is often used by modern composers ?
Have you seen it elsewhere ?

2013/4/24 [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
On 24 avr. 2013, at 16:31, Pierre Perol-Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi List,
Does anyone know a modern notation to indicate a vibrato ?
Thanks,
Pierre

Squiggles above the staff seem to get the desired effect. See, for example, http://ensemble101.fr/scores/tragedyvii.pdf

I don't have access to the code now but will later this week - email me if u want it.

Cheers,
MS

Re: Off-topics : vibrato

David Nalesnik
Hi Pierre,

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Pierre Perol-Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Mike, looks interesting.
Do you think that this notation is often used by modern composers ?
Have you seen it elsewhere ?

Graphic notations of vibrato are fairly common.  A familiar example is Penderecki's Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima, scrolling score here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HilGthRhwP8
There's a link to an explanation of symbols there as well.

Best,
David

Re: Off-topics : vibrato

Owain Sutton-3
Another common option is simply indicating 'vib.', 'senza vib.', 'molto vib.'
etc.

On 09:07, Wed 24 Apr 2013, David Nalesnik wrote:

> Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 09:07:51 -0500
> From: David Nalesnik <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Off-topics : vibrato
> To: Pierre Perol-Schneider <[hidden email]>
> Cc: lilypond-user <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi Pierre,
>

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Pierre Perol-Schneider <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Mike, looks interesting.
> > Do you think that this notation is often used by modern composers ?
> > Have you seen it elsewhere ?
> >

> Graphic notations of vibrato are fairly common.  A familiar example is
> Penderecki's Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima, scrolling score here:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HilGthRhwP8
> There's a link to an explanation of symbols there as well.
>
> Best,
> David

Re: Off-topics : vibrato

Joseph Rushton Wakeling
On 04/24/2013 04:36 PM, Owain Sutton wrote:
> Another common option is simply indicating 'vib.', 'senza vib.', 'molto vib.'

Depends how precise a visual indicator you want to have of the type of vibrato,
particularly with respect to precise indication of the 'vertical' extent (i.e.
the range of pitch variation) and the timing of changes in vibrato.  If you want
a general indicator, this is fine, if you want to be more precise about its
speed or range, wiggly-line notation is better.

Re: Off-topics : vibrato

Mike Solomon

On 24 avr. 2013, at 15:58, Pierre Perol-Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks Mike, looks interesting.
Do you think that this notation is often used by modern composers ?
Have you seen it elsewhere ?

2013/4/24 [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
On 24 avr. 2013, at 16:31, Pierre Perol-Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi List,
Does anyone know a modern notation to indicate a vibrato ?
Thanks,
Pierre

Squiggles above the staff seem to get the desired effect. See, for example, http://ensemble101.fr/scores/tragedyvii.pdf

I don't have access to the code now but will later this week - email me if u want it.

Cheers,
MS

I see it all over the place.

Cheers,
MS

Re: Off-topics : vibrato

Mark Witmer
Pierre Perol-Schneider <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi List,
> Does anyone know a modern notation to indicate a vibrato ?
> Thanks,
> Pierre

Pierre,

I wrote a music function for vibrato that temporarly overrides the trill
spanner to display a sine wave over top of the music; you can specify
the frequency and give it a list of amplitudes to show an increase or
decrease in vibrato speed.

https://raw.github.com/mwitmer/LyUtil/master/ly/expressive_markings/vibrato.ly

One nice feature to have that I haven't added yet would be variable
frequency.

I've used in in a couple of pieces and performers interpreted it just
fine with minimal explanation.

--
Mark Witmer, Composer
MM Student | Bowling Green State University

Re: Off-topics : vibrato

Schneidy
Nice code Mark, many thanks.