Quantcast

Of two markups, how to hide one markup in a Staff and the other in a TabStaff?

Of two markups, how to hide one markup in a Staff and the other in a TabStaff?

Peter Crighton-4
Hello all,

I am trying to notate a piece for electric guitar in which a whammy bar is used and am having difficulties with correctly indicating the use of it.
I need to have two markups at the same time, one of which is to be shown only in the Staff, the other one only in the TabStaff. How can I do this?
This is what I have so far:

\version "2.16.2"

music = \relative c, {
  \set Staff.stringTunings = \stringTuning <b,, e, a, d g b>
  \once \override TabStaff.TextScript #'stencil = ##f
  <\parenthesize c \parenthesize g'>1(\glissando_\markup { "w/bar" }_\markup { \tiny \bold "-7" }
  \unset Staff.stringTunings
  <f c'>)

  \new Staff <<
    \new Voice {
      \clef "treble_8"
      \music
    }

  \new TabStaff <<
    \new TabVoice {
      \tabFullNotation
      \music
    }

What I need is the “-7” being visible beneath the TabStaff, but not beneath the Staff. Any ideas?

Also, I noticed that “\override Staff.TextScript #'stencil = ##f” would hide the markup both in Staff and TabStaff, whereas I expected it to still be visible in the TabStaff. Why is that? Is there a way to hide a markup in the Staff only, but show it in the TabStaff?

Thanks in advance,
Peter

--
Peter Crighton | Musician & Music Engraver based in Mainz, Germany
http://www.petercrighton.de

whammy.jpg (15K) Download Attachment

Re: Of two markups, how to hide one markup in a Staff and the other in a TabStaff?

Peter Crighton-4
2013/6/25 Thomas Morley <[hidden email]>
2013/6/24 Peter Crighton <[hidden email]>:
[...]
> Is there a way to hide a markup in the
> Staff only, but show it in the TabStaff?

Hi Peter,

use \tag

Not sure if it's really what you want, though your example could look like:

\version "2.16.2"

music = \relative c, {
  \set Staff.stringTunings = \stringTuning <b,, e, a, d g b>

  <\parenthesize c \parenthesize g'>1(\glissando
   -\tag #'staff _\markup { "w/bar" }
   -\tag #'tabstaff _\markup { \tiny \bold "-7" }
  \unset Staff.stringTunings
  <f c'>)

  \new Staff \keepWithTag #'staff <<
    \new Voice {
      \clef "treble_8"
      \music
    }

  \new TabStaff \keepWithTag #'tabstaff <<
    \new TabVoice {
      \tabFullNotation
      \music
    }

HTH,
  Harm

That works wonderfully, exactly what I want for now! LilyPond never fails to amaze me … I’m using it regularly for several years now, but never before heard of tags. Incredibly useful, thanks a lot!

So, this is good for now, but I still have to figure out if this is the ideal way to indicate whammy bar use. How have others handled such a scenario?

--
Peter Crighton | Musician & Music Engraver based in Mainz, Germany
http://www.petercrighton.de

Re: Of two markups, how to hide one markup in a Staff and the other in a TabStaff?

Thomas Morley-2
2013/6/25 Peter Crighton <[hidden email]>:
[...]
> So, this is good for now, but I still have to figure out if this is the
> ideal way to indicate whammy bar use. How have others handled such a
> scenario?

Sorry, to be of not more help.
I'm a classical and flamenco guitarist.
I really don't know what a "whammy bar" is and what it is supposed to do. ;)

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: Of two markups, how to hide one markup in a Staff and the other in a TabStaff?

Eluze
Thomas Morley-2 wrote
2013/6/25 Peter Crighton <[hidden email]>:
[...]
> So, this is good for now, but I still have to figure out if this is the
> ideal way to indicate whammy bar use. How have others handled such a
> scenario?

Sorry, to be of not more help.
I'm a classical and flamenco guitarist.
I really don't know what a "whammy bar" is and what it is supposed to do. ;)
googling I found http://www.hearandplay.com/main/the-purpose-of-the-whammy-bar

but I can't imagine if or how "w/bar" is related to \tiny \bold "-7" or what -7 means here.

Eluze

2013/6/25 Eluze <[hidden email]>
> [...]
>> So, this is good for now, but I still have to figure out if this is the
>> ideal way to indicate whammy bar use. How have others handled such a
>> scenario?
>
> Sorry, to be of not more help.
> I'm a classical and flamenco guitarist.
> I really don't know what a "whammy bar" is and what it is supposed to do.
> ;)

googling I found
http://www.hearandplay.com/main/the-purpose-of-the-whammy-bar

but I can't imagine if or how /"w/bar"/ is related to /\tiny \bold "-7"/ or
what /-7/ means here.

Eluze

It should be -5 instead of -7, my bad, and indicates the 5 semitones the tones are dropped with the use of the bar, which is a rather extreme use of it compared to the vibrato described at your link. Like this, but in reverse: http://youtu.be/ROVm0NQrS0o
“w/bar” is the common notation for the use of the whammy, but in tab notation some kind of indication for the interval is needed, thus the -5.

--
Peter Crighton | Musician & Music Engraver based in Mainz, Germany