Oddities in lilypond-doc pt_BR messages

Han-Wen Nienhuys-3
Opa, beleza?

There is something odd going on with the portuguese doc translations
in lilypond,

  https://github.com/lilypond/lilypond/blob/master/Documentation/po/pt.po#L13393

this talks about athletes crossing a line. Could it be that you mixed
up translations of different projects (chronojump?). I also some other
weird translations (look for "infringimento").

Could you check what is going on here?

thanks!

Re: Oddities in lilypond-doc pt_BR messages

Rafael Fontenelle
Hi Han-Wen,

What happened is that when starting the translation I ran a pre-fill
of this PO file with a few hundred translations from my local
translation memory, which included translations from lilypond UI and
also other unrelated software. So, several untranslated strings at
that moment were filled with fuzzy translations that could have some
degree of similarity.

This string you mentioned is flagged as fuzzy, and fuzzied msgstrs are
not really used in the resulting documentation: they are ignored and
English string is displayed. Therefore, it should not be a problem for
the end-user.

Does it present a problem for you somehow?

Best regards,
Rafael Fontenelle

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 3:41 PM Rafael Fontenelle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Han-Wen,
>
> What happened is that when starting the translation I ran a pre-fill
> of this PO file with a few hundred translations from my local
> translation memory, which included translations from lilypond UI and
> also other unrelated software. So, several untranslated strings at
> that moment were filled with fuzzy translations that could have some
> degree of similarity.
>
> This string you mentioned is flagged as fuzzy, and fuzzied msgstrs are
> not really used in the resulting documentation: they are ignored and
> English string is displayed. Therefore, it should not be a problem for
> the end-user.
>
> Does it present a problem for you somehow?

It looks quite odd when reading over the data as a developer. If the
strings aren't used, would it be hard to not include them at all?

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 11:00 AM Han-Wen Nienhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 3:41 PM Rafael Fontenelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Han-Wen,
> >
> > What happened is that when starting the translation I ran a pre-fill
> > of this PO file with a few hundred translations from my local
> > translation memory, which included translations from lilypond UI and
> > also other unrelated software. So, several untranslated strings at
> > that moment were filled with fuzzy translations that could have some
> > degree of similarity.
> >
> > This string you mentioned is flagged as fuzzy, and fuzzied msgstrs are
> > not really used in the resulting documentation: they are ignored and
> > English string is displayed. Therefore, it should not be a problem for
> > the end-user.
> >
> > Does it present a problem for you somehow?
>
> It looks quite odd when reading over the data as a developer. If the
> strings aren't used, would it be hard to not include them at all?

This and other odd strings were automatically included when
pre-filling the PO file, and looking for what should or not be in the
PO file is what I've done since then. If you want to remove it, I
wouldn't oppose it.