[OT] timidity Again

Will Oram
I wrote to the lilypond list last year regarding problems installing
timidity properly on OS X. Somehow I did it, but my method has long
been forgotten. I tried to reinstall timidity and ran into troubles.
Compiling from source and moving the product to /sw/bin (where it
usually sits), I execute 'timidity <sample midi file>'.

/usr/local/share/timidity/timidity.cfg: No such file or directory
timidity: Can't read any configuration file.
Please check /usr/local/share/timidity/timidity.cfg

Now, I have a config file, but not at that location. In fact, there is
no such dir /usr, let alone anything beneath that. The closest-looking
place to that filepath is where I normally keep my config file:
/sw/share/timidity/timidity.cfg .

As recommended by the doc INSTALL, I went into the header files and
hard-coded the desired filepath in. This also required opening the
permissions on the directory to RW. Upon re-execution of the above, it
runs, but none of the MIDI instruments play because

No instrument mapped to tone bank 0, program 45 - this instrument will
not be heard
No instrument mapped to tone bank 0, program 48 - this instrument will
not be heard
No instrument mapped to tone bank 0, program 70 - this instrument will
not be heard
No instrument mapped to tone bank 0, program 73 - this instrument will
not be heard
No pre-resampling cache hit

The .cfg file worked perfectly with the old version, considering it had
just one line: 'soundfont unison.sf2' with the soundfont file in the
same dir. Now I'm out of ideas. Any thoughts?

Best,

Will Oram // Genius @ Large // AIM spamguy21
spamguy (at) foxchange (dot) com // wro1 (at) cwru (dot) edu

Re: [OT] timidity Again

Graham Percival

On 5-Jun-05, at 9:26 PM, Will Oram wrote:

>  Compiling from source and moving the product to /sw/bin (where it
> usually sits), I execute 'timidity <sample midi file>'.

I'd stick it in /usr/local/bin or ~/bin   (add ~/bin to your path).
Doesn't really
make a difference, though.

> /usr/local/share/timidity/timidity.cfg: No such file or directory
>
> Now, I have a config file, but not at that location. In fact, there is
> no such dir /usr, let alone anything beneath that.

Actually, there is.  It doesn't show up in the Finder, but OSX has the
whole
/etc, /usr, /var, etc -- all the standard unix directories.

> The .cfg file worked perfectly with the old version, considering it
> had just one line: 'soundfont unison.sf2' with the soundfont file in
> the same dir. Now I'm out of ideas. Any thoughts?

Sorry, no ideas right now.  I might try installing timidity in a few
days; if I do,
I'll certainly post notes.