Notes on wrong side of stem in triads

delius333
I’ve used Lilypond extensively—especially for organ music—and have never seen noteheads in a chord appear on the wrong side of the stem. Unfortunately, I can’t reproduce the enclosed problem in a minimal example because the same code works fine in a file by itself. This is in the left hand of an organ part, and I’m using 2.19.39, though I tried it with the latest version as well with the same result. However, the chords look fine with 2.18, but using that version that isn’t an option because it creates many other (and more significant) issues. If I put the stem direction up, the chords also look fine … but, of course, they all need to be stems down. This was also happening in one right-hand chord in a subsequent bar, but ultimately I changed that chord slightly and it’s no longer an issue there. This only seems to happen with (some) triads …

I’m using a choir & organ template generated from within Frescobaldi … this happens no where else in the 86-bar piece, and no errors are generated when compiling.

The code for the example is below, but, like I said, it works just fine out of the context of my piece:

Any thoughts?

Dan

Re: Notes on wrong side of stem in triads

Davide Liessi-2
> Unfortunately, I can’t reproduce the enclosed problem in a minimal example because the same code works fine in a file by itself.

"Minimal example" means that if you remove anything the problem is
gone, so if the code works in what you call a minimal example, that
was *not* a minimal example for your problem: sometimes bugs are
encountered only in long scores.

See http://lilypond.org/tiny-examples.html, especially where it says
"When trying to create an example, try commenting out (% or %{ … %})
sections of your file. If you can comment something while still
demonstrating the main idea, then remove the commented-material."
It is a tedious process, but it is actually how you can understand
where the problem is: preparing minimal examples to post to this lists
often leads me to solving problems on my own.

Anyway, if you need help with this, at least share your code
(privately, if there are copyright issues), since it is impossible to
debug an image.

Best wishes.
Davide

Re: Notes on wrong side of stem in triads

Schneidy
Hi Dan,
At least you'll find a workaround here:
http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=861

HTH.
Cheers,
Pierre

> Unfortunately, I can’t reproduce the enclosed problem in a minimal example because the same code works fine in a file by itself.

"Minimal example" means that if you remove anything the problem is
gone, so if the code works in what you call a minimal example, that
was *not* a minimal example for your problem: sometimes bugs are
encountered only in long scores.

See http://lilypond.org/tiny-examples.html, especially where it says
"When trying to create an example, try commenting out (% or %{ … %})
sections of your file. If you can comment something while still
demonstrating the main idea, then remove the commented-material."
It is a tedious process, but it is actually how you can understand
where the problem is: preparing minimal examples to post to this lists
often leads me to solving problems on my own.

Anyway, if you need help with this, at least share your code
(privately, if there are copyright issues), since it is impossible to
debug an image.

Best wishes.
Davide

Re: Notes on wrong side of stem in triads

Schneidy
Hi Dan,
One silly question: Does that change anything if you don't force the A natural sign; e.g.:

??
Cheers,
Pierre

On Oct 18, 2016, at 3:43 AM, Pierre Perol-Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dan,
One silly question: Does that change anything if you don't force the A natural sign; e.g.:

??
Cheers,
Pierre

Pierre, I appreciate your stab at a work-around. While the LSR you mentioned does help get all the note heads in the right spot, the major side effect is that the 8th note beams disappear. So that I could “go to press”, I did use that code, however, and graphically inserted some beams into the final PDF. Not ideal, to be sure … but it was better than the alternative!

And no, removing the forced A natural sign doesn’t change anything.

> Unfortunately, I can’t reproduce the enclosed problem in a minimal example because the same code works fine in a file by itself.

"Minimal example" means that if you remove anything the problem is
gone, so if the code works in what you call a minimal example, that
was *not* a minimal example for your problem: sometimes bugs are
encountered only in long scores.

Davide, I do understand the concept of a minimal example … it’s just that I couldn’t get to that point. I really had tried myriad things to isolate the issue. In the past, I have spent weeks working on some little (but important) problems and usually I find the solution before seeking help from the list. I just didn’t have weeks to spend this time, and this particular problem seemed so random in comparison. If you really want to see the score, send me a private note, but, as I’ve mentioned above, I had to finish it so I could move on to other things. Unsolved mysteries are irksome, though!

Best wishes,

Dan

Re: Notes on wrong side of stem in triads

Schneidy
Hum, well there's another possible workaround, a bad one, but works:

%% Snipp:

\version "2.19"

\relative c' {
  \clef F
  \time 3/4
  \key f\major
  <\tweak NoteHead.extra-offset #'(-1.2 . 0)\tweak NoteHead.rotation #90 a c e>]
  <g bes d> <\tweak NoteHead.extra-offset #'(-1.2 . 0)\tweak NoteHead.rotation #90 a c e>
}

HTH,
Pierre

Hi Dan,
At least you'll find a workaround here:
http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=861

On Oct 18, 2016, at 3:43 AM, Pierre Perol-Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dan,
One silly question: Does that change anything if you don't force the A natural sign; e.g.:

??
Cheers,
Pierre

Pierre, I appreciate your stab at a work-around. While the LSR you mentioned does help get all the note heads in the right spot, the major side effect is that the 8th note beams disappear. So that I could “go to press”, I did use that code, however, and graphically inserted some beams into the final PDF. Not ideal, to be sure … but it was better than the alternative!

And no, removing the forced A natural sign doesn’t change anything.

> Unfortunately, I can’t reproduce the enclosed problem in a minimal example because the same code works fine in a file by itself.

"Minimal example" means that if you remove anything the problem is
gone, so if the code works in what you call a minimal example, that
was *not* a minimal example for your problem: sometimes bugs are
encountered only in long scores.

Davide, I do understand the concept of a minimal example … it’s just that I couldn’t get to that point. I really had tried myriad things to isolate the issue. In the past, I have spent weeks working on some little (but important) problems and usually I find the solution before seeking help from the list. I just didn’t have weeks to spend this time, and this particular problem seemed so random in comparison. If you really want to see the score, send me a private note, but, as I’ve mentioned above, I had to finish it so I could move on to other things. Unsolved mysteries are irksome, though!

Best wishes,

Dan

Re: Notes on wrong side of stem in triads

Davide Liessi-2
I reproduced the issue with this:

\version "2.19.47"
\layout { #(layout-set-staff-size 19) }
{ <c'' e'' g''> }

Using #(set-global-staff-size 19) instead works as expected.
I couldn't find a bug report for this.
Any ideas?

Best wishes.
Davide

Re: Notes on wrong side of stem in triads

Schneidy
Thank you Davide.
So the workaround (the bad one):

\version "2.19"
\layout { #(layout-set-staff-size 19) }

\relative c' {
  \clef F
  \time 3/4
  \key f\major
  <\tweak NoteHead.extra-offset #'(1.3 . 0)\tweak NoteHead.rotation #90 a c e>]
  <g bes d> <\tweak NoteHead.extra-offset #'(1.3 . 0)\tweak NoteHead.rotation #90 a c e>

Pierre

I reproduced the issue with this:

\version "2.19.47"
\layout { #(layout-set-staff-size 19) }
{ <c'' e'' g''> }

Using #(set-global-staff-size 19) instead works as expected.
I couldn't find a bug report for this.
Any ideas?

Best wishes.
Davide

Re: Notes on wrong side of stem in triads

Mark Knoop-4
At 17:05 on 18 Oct 2016, Davide Liessi wrote:
>I reproduced the issue with this:
>
>\version "2.19.47"
>\layout { #(layout-set-staff-size 19) }
>{ <c'' e'' g''> }
>
>Using #(set-global-staff-size 19) instead works as expected.
>I couldn't find a bug report for this.
>Any ideas?

Very weird, and certainly a bug. This works as expected also:

\version "2.19.47"
\layout { #(layout-set-staff-size 19.000000000001) }
{ <c'' e'' g''> }

--
Mark Knoop

Davide Liessi <[hidden email]> writes:

> I reproduced the issue with this:
>
> \version "2.19.47"
> \layout { #(layout-set-staff-size 19) }
> { <c'' e'' g''> }
>
> Using #(set-global-staff-size 19) instead works as expected.
> I couldn't find a bug report for this.
> Any ideas?

I don't think layout-set-staff-size works well.  Probably the notehead
size does not fit the line distance then and stacking is problematic?

Can someone figure out which settings are affected differently here?

Re: Notes on wrong side of stem in triads

Paul Morris
On 10/18/2016 11:20 AM, Mark Knoop wrote:

> At 17:05 on 18 Oct 2016, Davide Liessi wrote:
>> I reproduced the issue with this:
>>
>> \version "2.19.47"
>> \layout { #(layout-set-staff-size 19) }
>> { <c'' e'' g''> }
>>
>> Using #(set-global-staff-size 19) instead works as expected.
>> I couldn't find a bug report for this.
>> Any ideas?
> Very weird, and certainly a bug. This works as expected also:
>
> \version "2.19.47"
> \layout { #(layout-set-staff-size 19.000000000001) }
> { <c'' e'' g''> }

Davide, you beat me to it! :-)  I tracked down the same cause, see below...

Oddly, thirds are ok, and only some triads are affected.

I suspect it might be related to this commit:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commit;h=74bd453cc3da31d047b2611aad5669395fc71447

-Paul

\version "2.19.42"

% this works fine
% #(set-global-staff-size 19)

\score {
   \relative c {
     <f a c>
     <g b d>
     <a c e>
     <b d f>
     <c e g>
     <d f a>
     <e g b>
     <f a c>
     <g b d>
     <a c e>
     <b d f>
     <c e g>
     <d f a>
     <e g b>
     <f a c>
     <g b d>
     <a c e>
     <b d f>
     <c e g>
     <d f a>
     <e g b>
   }

   % this causes notes on wrong side of stem for some triads above
   % only when set to 19, all is fine at 20, 18, 18.5, 19.5
   \layout {  #(layout-set-staff-size 19) }
}

% these thirds are fine
\score {
   \relative c {
     <f a>
     <g b>
     <a c>
     <b d>
     <c e>
     <d f>
     <e g>
     <f a>
     <g b>
     <a c>
     <b d>
     <c e>
     <d f>
     <e g>
     <f a>
     <g b>
     <a c>
     <b d>
     <c e>
     <d f>
     <e g>
   }

Mark Knoop <[hidden email]> writes:

> At 17:05 on 18 Oct 2016, Davide Liessi wrote:
>>I reproduced the issue with this:
>>
>>\version "2.19.47"
>>\layout { #(layout-set-staff-size 19) }
>>{ <c'' e'' g''> }
>>
>>Using #(set-global-staff-size 19) instead works as expected.
>>I couldn't find a bug report for this.
>>Any ideas?
>
> Very weird, and certainly a bug. This works as expected also:
>
> \version "2.19.47"
> \layout { #(layout-set-staff-size 19.000000000001) }
> { <c'' e'' g''> }

Well, _that_ looks like the distance between noteheads is used as a
factor for deciding about the arrangement in a manner that is
numerically fragile.  Like looking whether their distance is smaller
than 1.0 staff line distances.

Re: Notes on wrong side of stem in triads

Schneidy
Hi Paul,

  % this causes notes on wrong side of stem for some triads above
  % only when set to 19, all is fine at 20, 18, 18.5, 19.5
  \layout {  #(layout-set-staff-size 19) }
}

Test with v2.19.49:
bug comes with sizes: 7, 14, 19, 28, 38, 56 and probably their multiples.
Cheers,
Pierre

Re: Notes on wrong side of stem in triads

Stanton Sanderson-2

> On Oct 18, 2016, at 10:05 AM, Davide Liessi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> #(set-global-staff-size 19)

The following also works:

\version "2.19.47"
\paper {
      #(layout-set-absolute-staff-size (* 19 pt))
}
{ <c'' e'' g''> }

Re: Notes on wrong side of stem in triads

Davide Liessi-2
> The following also works:
>
> \version "2.19.47"
> \paper {
>       #(layout-set-absolute-staff-size (* 19 pt))
> }
> { <c'' e'' g''> }

This also seems to work (although I don't know if it makes sense, I
just took set-global-staff-size and removed bits of it):

\version "2.19.47"
#(define-public (new-layout-set-staff-size sz)
   (layout-set-absolute-staff-size-in-module
    (ly:output-def-scope (ly:parser-lookup '$defaultpaper))
    (* (eval 'pt (current-module)) sz)))
\score{
  \layout { #(new-layout-set-staff-size 19) }
  { <c'' e'' g''> }
}

(Which maybe means that line 118 in paper.scm is not paranoid, see
comment above that line:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lilypond.git/tree/scm/paper.scm#n113 :D)

But I probably don't understand what's going on in
(ly:output-def-scope (ly:parser-lookup '$defaultpaper)), because I
would have expected the following to produce wrong first and third
chords and correct second chord.

\version "2.19.47"
#(define-public (new-layout-set-staff-size sz)
   (layout-set-absolute-staff-size-in-module
    (ly:output-def-scope (ly:parser-lookup '$defaultpaper))
    (* (eval 'pt (current-module)) sz)))
\score{
  \layout { #(layout-set-staff-size 19) }
  { <c'' e'' g''> }
}
\score{
  \layout { #(new-layout-set-staff-size 19) }
  { <c'' e'' g''> }
}
\score{
  \layout { #(layout-set-staff-size 19) }
  { <c'' e'' g''> }
}

Instead all chords are correct.
But if you change the size of the middle one to something different
from 19, then the first and third chords are wrong.

Best wishes.
Davide

On 10/18/2016 12:23 PM, David Kastrup wrote:

> Mark Knoop <[hidden email]> writes:
>> At 17:05 on 18 Oct 2016, Davide Liessi wrote:
>>> I reproduced the issue with this:
>>>
>>> \version "2.19.47"
>>> \layout { #(layout-set-staff-size 19) }
>>> { <c'' e'' g''> }
>>>
>>> Using #(set-global-staff-size 19) instead works as expected.
>>> I couldn't find a bug report for this.
>>> Any ideas?
>> Very weird, and certainly a bug. This works as expected also:
>>
>> \version "2.19.47"
>> \layout { #(layout-set-staff-size 19.000000000001) }
>> { <c'' e'' g''> }
> Well, _that_ looks like the distance between noteheads is used as a
> factor for deciding about the arrangement in a manner that is
> numerically fragile.  Like looking whether their distance is smaller
> than 1.0 staff line distances.

Indeed, the distance between note heads is calculated (via calls to
Staff_symbol_referencer::get_position for each note head) and that
distance determines whether a note head is moved to the other side of
the stem.  See stem.cc line 553 and following where "dy" is the distance
between note heads:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lilypond.git/tree/lily/stem.cc#n553

I tried editing line 565 (the comparison involving "dy" that leads to
moving a note head) and if you remove the 0.1 "safety margin" this fixes
the problem (while also breaking the placement for some notes that are
only a second interval apart).  So it does appear to be a mysterious
problem of numerical fragility.

Some weirdness: if you add \stemUp or \stemDown this fixes the problem,
but only for chords where the command reverses the default direction of
the stem.  (!?)

Also, the problem (at size 19 at least) seems to only happen for notes
at certain staff positions, for example on treble staff, notes at E
line, A space, C space, and F line (symmetrical pattern around center /
zero point of staff).

That's as far as I've gotten.  (Won't have time to do any more for at
least a week.)

-Paul

Re: Notes on wrong side of stem in triads

Thomas Morley-2

> On 10/18/2016 12:23 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> Mark Knoop <[hidden email]> writes:

>>> Very weird, and certainly a bug. This works as expected also:
>>>
>>> \version "2.19.47"
>>> \layout { #(layout-set-staff-size 19.000000000001) }
>>> { <c'' e'' g''> }
>>
>> Well, _that_ looks like the distance between noteheads is used as a
>> factor for deciding about the arrangement in a manner that is
>> numerically fragile.  Like looking whether their distance is smaller
>> than 1.0 staff line distances.
>

> Indeed, the distance between note heads is calculated (via calls to
> Staff_symbol_referencer::get_position for each note head) and that distance
> determines whether a note head is moved to the other side of the stem.  See
> stem.cc line 553 and following where "dy" is the distance between note
> heads:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lilypond.git/tree/lily/stem.cc#n553
>
> I tried editing line 565 (the comparison involving "dy" that leads to moving
> a note head) and if you remove the 0.1 "safety margin" this fixes the
> problem (while also breaking the placement for some notes that are only a
> second interval apart).  So it does appear to be a mysterious problem of
> numerical fragility.
>
> Some weirdness: if you add \stemUp or \stemDown this fixes the problem, but
> only for chords where the command reverses the default direction of the
> stem.  (!?)
>
> Also, the problem (at size 19 at least) seems to only happen for notes at
> certain staff positions, for example on treble staff, notes at E line, A
> space, C space, and F line (symmetrical pattern around center / zero point
> of staff).
>
> That's as far as I've gotten.  (Won't have time to do any more for at least
> a week.)
>
> -Paul

I managed to identify the first bad commit:

commit cb6024decee0aafd84baafe34115fc1b2d179df6
Author: David Kastrup <[hidden email]>
Date:   Thu Nov 13 21:13:12 2014 +0100

    Issue 216: ability to change staff line spacing inside a \layout{} block

    This uses the staff-space setting from the \layout block (if set) for
    determining staff spacing.

    It apparently does not help with horizontal spacing, though.

And indeed, reinstantiating the previous state into a build from
latest master fixes the example.
I've no clue why, though.

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: Notes on wrong side of stem in triads

David Kastrup
Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> writes:

> I managed to identify the first bad commit:
>
> commit cb6024decee0aafd84baafe34115fc1b2d179df6
> Author: David Kastrup <[hidden email]>
> Date:   Thu Nov 13 21:13:12 2014 +0100
>
>     Issue 216: ability to change staff line spacing inside a \layout{} block
>
>     This uses the staff-space setting from the \layout block (if set) for
>     determining staff spacing.
>
>     It apparently does not help with horizontal spacing, though.
>

> And indeed, reinstantiating the previous state into a build from
> latest master fixes the example.
> I've no clue why, though.

Disconcerting.  I'm looking to see whether I can figure out a reason for
this behavior (or for what the patch looks like in the first place).
I am also not sure whether this patch _causes_ the problem or merely
causes it to appear with different values.