Notation manual - 1.3.3 Expressive marks as lines - glissandi

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Notation manual - 1.3.3 Expressive marks as lines - glissandi

Wols Lists
Arghh! Tweaks and workarounds!

"For a contemporary glissando from a note, you can use hideNote and
cadenzaOn/Off". Except I've tried it and the side effects have buggered
everything else up !!!

As soon as you start combining voices - like I separate markups, time
signatures, etc from notes - as soon as you put a cadenza in one voice
and not the others, they get out of sync and mess up royally.

So I tried to use a chord with a hidden note, except that it appears you
can't put a rest into a chord ...

What I've done, which works for me, is to use a tuplet instead. imho
this is much better, not least because it doesn't have nasty side effects.

I attach my little example below, if someone would care to put it in the
manual instead of the one that's there.

{
   \once \override TupletBracket.bracket-visibility = ##f
   \once \hide TupletNumber
   \times 2/3 { r4 \hideNotes c'8\glissando \unHideNotes } c''2->
}

Okay, my example is to a note, not from, but when you're trying to do a
score, or multiple instruments where some have "contemporary glissandi"
and others don't, the example in the manual is going to cause grief.
This version doesn't have side-effects.

Cheers,
Wol

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Notation manual - 1.3.3 Expressive marks as lines - glissandi

Dominic
This post was updated on .
Even better, use scaled notes:

\relative c' {
 \repeat unfold 2 {
  g''2*1/2 \glissando \once \hideNotes g,4
 }
}


I used to use the 'fake tuplet' concept when I used to use Sibelius, but scaled notes in Lilypond seem far more robust and flexible.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Notation manual - 1.3.3 Expressive marks as lines - glissandi

Simon Albrecht-2
In reply to this post by Wols Lists
Sorry, but what are you playing at with such an e-mail on the -devel list?
First, it’s a little bit offensive considering that – as you very well
know – all people bringing Lily to you are only volunteers who do their
very best to make her as good as possible.
Second, this is a _developers’_ list. So if you have a technical
question at developing LilyPond, or want to propose a patch, then you
can come here. For a documentation suggestion as this the bug list is
the right place.
And you’ll be wise to provide a more precise description of the problem
with that example in the docs and why your proposal solves that problem.
‘side effects have buggered everything else up’ and ‘mess up royally’
are so vague expressions that you basically expect others to figure out
themselves what exactly these side effects are, and why the snippet
doesn’t apply to your use case.
The whole story of your pain with this issue may go to the user list
then – maybe you can get some advice there.

Best, Simon

On 22.04.2016 22:30, Anthonys Lists wrote:

> Arghh! Tweaks and workarounds!
>
> "For a contemporary glissando from a note, you can use hideNote and
> cadenzaOn/Off". Except I've tried it and the side effects have
> buggered everything else up !!!
>
> As soon as you start combining voices - like I separate markups, time
> signatures, etc from notes - as soon as you put a cadenza in one voice
> and not the others, they get out of sync and mess up royally.
>
> So I tried to use a chord with a hidden note, except that it appears
> you can't put a rest into a chord ...
>
> What I've done, which works for me, is to use a tuplet instead. imho
> this is much better, not least because it doesn't have nasty side
> effects.
>
> I attach my little example below, if someone would care to put it in
> the manual instead of the one that's there.
>
> {
>   \once \override TupletBracket.bracket-visibility = ##f
>   \once \hide TupletNumber
>   \times 2/3 { r4 \hideNotes c'8\glissando \unHideNotes } c''2->
> }
>
> Okay, my example is to a note, not from, but when you're trying to do
> a score, or multiple instruments where some have "contemporary
> glissandi" and others don't, the example in the manual is going to
> cause grief. This version doesn't have side-effects.
>
> Cheers,
> Wol
>
> _______________________________________________
> lilypond-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel


_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Notation manual - 1.3.3 Expressive marks as lines - glissandi

Wols Lists
On 23/04/16 08:03, Simon Albrecht wrote:
> Sorry, but what are you playing at with such an e-mail on the -devel list?
> First, it’s a little bit offensive considering that – as you very well
> know – all people bringing Lily to you are only volunteers who do their
> very best to make her as good as possible.
> Second, this is a _developers’_ list. So if you have a technical
> question at developing LilyPond, or want to propose a patch, then you
> can come here. For a documentation suggestion as this the bug list is
> the right place.

Yes I do know Lily is brought by volunteers. I've done bits and pieces
for it in the past. I didn't know that documentation suggestions should
go on the bugs list - last time I did (a lot) of work on the
documentation it was all done on the devel list.

> And you’ll be wise to provide a more precise description of the problem
> with that example in the docs and why your proposal solves that problem.
> ‘side effects have buggered everything else up’ and ‘mess up royally’
> are so vague expressions that you basically expect others to figure out
> themselves what exactly these side effects are, and why the snippet
> doesn’t apply to your use case.

I said "the voices get out of sync". I thought that would be enough.
Let's give a simple example ...

<<
  { s1*8 s2. s1*8 }
  { s1*4 \cadenzaOn s1 \cadenzaOff s1*3 s2. s1*8 }
>>

The first {} is seen as 17 bars long. The second {} is seen as 16 bars
long. It wouldn't matter too much if that 3/4 bar weren't in the middle,
but as it is your output will be a mess. Lily will think the second 3/4
is bar 8, not bar 9.

The example in the manual works great as a standalone, but try to use it
in a large piece and it'll bite you (and as a trombonist, this is normal
usage to me). I just thought this version was a lot better.

> The whole story of your pain with this issue may go to the user list
> then – maybe you can get some advice there.

Except I'd solved the problem, so I was making a suggestion for the
documentation. Which, my past experience suggested, belonged on the
devel rather than the user list.
>
> Best, Simon

Cheers,
Wol


_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Notation manual - 1.3.3 Expressive marks as lines - glissandi

Wols Lists
In reply to this post by Dominic
On 23/04/16 00:41, Dominic wrote:
> Even better, use scaled notes:
>
> /\relative c' {
>  \repeat unfold 2 {
>   g''2*1/2 \glissando \once \hideNotes g,4
>  }
> }/
>
Thanks - that is even better!

Cheers,
Wol


_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel