Notation for string portamento

Andrew Bernard
There was a question identical to this asked in 2017 with not a reply.

To indicate string playing portamento, my composer uses a small glissando line coming up to the note, not attached to any previous note. What's the best way to do this? Can it be achieved with using hidden grace notes (which take up space, it not musical time).

I understand this notation is seen from time to time, and string players are familiar with it. So I am told.

Andrew

Re: Notation for string portamento

Ralph Palmer
Hi, Andrew -

I used this to indicate a slide up into a note.

  a'
  \once \override Glissando.springs-and-rods = #ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods
  \once \override Glissando.minimum-length = #4.5
  \once \hideNotes
  { \grace b'8 \glissando } c''4.
  a''8
}

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 6:11 AM Andrew Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:
There was a question identical to this asked in 2017 with not a reply.

To indicate string playing portamento, my composer uses a small glissando line coming up to the note, not attached to any previous note. What's the best way to do this? Can it be achieved with using hidden grace notes (which take up space, it not musical time).

I understand this notation is seen from time to time, and string players are familiar with it. So I am told.

Andrew

Hi, Andrew -

I used this to indicate a slide up into a note. You should be able to adjust the length and slope reasonably easily.

  a'
  \once \override Glissando.springs-and-rods = #ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods
  \once \override Glissando.minimum-length = #4.5
  \once \hideNotes
  { \grace b'8 \glissando } c''4.
  a''8
}

HTH,

Ralph

--
Ralph Palmer
Brattleboro, VT

Re: Notation for string portamento

Andrew Bernard
Hi Ralph,

Thanks for this. I came up with the same thing. But, my score is very tight, and grace notes take up space and tend to push positioning around. I was hoping there may be a solution with some sort of note head engraver for putting accents on notes. I think Nicholas Sceaux did something like this for Baroque ornaments. But I have never been able to fathom how to code new engravers. High time I learned. Any pointers, anyone?

Andrew

Re: Notation for string portamento

Thomas Morley-2
Am Mi., 20. Feb. 2019 um 04:22 Uhr schrieb Andrew Bernard
<[hidden email]>:

> Hi Ralph,
>
> Thanks for this. I came up with the same thing. But, my score is very tight, and grace notes take up space and tend to push positioning around. I was hoping there may be a solution with some sort of note head engraver for putting accents on notes. I think Nicholas Sceaux did something like this for Baroque ornaments. But I have never been able to fathom how to code new engravers. High time I learned. Any pointers, anyone?
>
> Andrew

Hi Andrew,

it's possible to use the code by Nicholas Sceaux.
Though, I'd need some more info. Look at the attached image. The red
line is created by Nicolas' code (with some changes).
For now I placed it via extra-offset. To do this in a more automagic
way: where should it be per default?
- before a (possible) arpeggio
- between (possible) arpeggio and (possible) accidentals.
- between (possible) accidentals and note-head
- what about other objects to the left of the note-head, p.e.
fingerings, string-numbers, probably parenthesized note-heads

Cheers,
  Harm

nicolas-ornaments-for-andrew.png (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Notation for string portamento

Robin Bannister-2
  Andrew Bernard wrote:

> Thanks for this. I came up with the same thing. But, my score is very
> tight, and grace notes take up space and tend to push positioning around.

You want a straight bendBefore.
My bends use glyphs, and repeatGliss uses \grace.

But starting from Nathan's version of scoop
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2014-01/msg01191.html
I've cobbled together something polar in the attached jib.ly.

It doesn't push anything around, but it may collide.

Cheers,
Robin

jib.ly (1K) Download Attachment
jib.png (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Notation for string portamento

Robin Bannister-2
Um, sorry, I got sidetracked.

This is more like your use case:

{ r4 \jib 50 c'4 r4 \jib 50 c''4  < \jib 50 g' \jib 50 d'' >1 }

Cheers,
Robin

unattached.png (8K) Download Attachment