No time signature?

alyozhik
Hi all,

I'm new to Lilypond. I've been looking for a way to typeset music without time signatures. This is because I'm transcribing chants that often use _recitativ_ and rarely follow any strict meter--the rhythm of the chant is completely text-driven.

Any way to do this?

Re: No time signature?

Graham Percival-3
The Ancient music chapter shows many examples of this, but
unfortunately it has not been updated yet, and I can't figure out
how to do it indepedently of the rest of the Mensural or Gregorian
style.

However, I'd be surprised if you *don't* want the rest of the
Gregorian style (if that's the type of chant you're doing), so I
would encourage you to look at the Ancient music chapter of the
docs.

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 04:36:04PM -0800, alyozhik wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to Lilypond. I've been looking for a way to typeset music without
> time signatures. This is because I'm transcribing chants that often use
> _recitativ_ and rarely follow any strict meter--the rhythm of the chant is
> completely text-driven.
>
> Any way to do this?
>
> Thanks,

Re: No time signature?

alyozhik
Graham,

I did briefly look at that chapter. What I really need to know is:
will it take away any bar lines? Or at least let me decide where to
put them?

I actually don't want the Gregorian style (or, at least, that's not
what I'm working on). I don't know enough about Gregorian chant to
know if it's similar (for all intents and purposes) to Slavic and
Byzantine chant.

Thanks again,

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 7:43 PM, Graham Percival
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Ancient music chapter shows many examples of this, but
> unfortunately it has not been updated yet, and I can't figure out
> how to do it indepedently of the rest of the Mensural or Gregorian
> style.
>
> However, I'd be surprised if you *don't* want the rest of the
> Gregorian style (if that's the type of chant you're doing), so I
> would encourage you to look at the Ancient music chapter of the
> docs.
>
> Cheers,
> - Graham
>

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 04:36:04PM -0800, alyozhik wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm new to Lilypond. I've been looking for a way to typeset music without
>> time signatures. This is because I'm transcribing chants that often use
>> _recitativ_ and rarely follow any strict meter--the rhythm of the chant is
>> completely text-driven.
>>
>> Any way to do this?
>>
>> Thanks,

Re: No time signature?

Ari Torhamo-2
ma, 2008-11-17 kello 16:36 -0800, alyozhik kirjoitti:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to Lilypond. I've been looking for a way to typeset music without
> time signatures. This is because I'm transcribing chants that often use
> _recitativ_ and rarely follow any strict meter--the rhythm of the chant is
> completely text-driven.
>
> Any way to do this?

Hi,

This is the method I've been using:

\relative c' {
\override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = ##f

Ari

Re: No time signature?

Mark Polesky
A,

I think it's better to remove the Time_signature_engraver
from the Staff context, so it works in all staves without
needing to retype the command for each staff. See below.

Hope this helps.
- Mark

\version "2.11.63-1"

  \new Staff \relative { g' a b c}
  \new Staff \relative { g' a b c }

  \layout {

    %% insert these lines within the
    %% layout block after your music:
    \context {
      \Staff
      \remove Time_signature_engraver

Re: No time signature?

Graham Percival-3
On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 07:49:53PM -0500, Derek Schmidt wrote:
> I did briefly look at that chapter. What I really need to know is:
> will it take away any bar lines? Or at least let me decide where to
> put them?

Umm, try looking at that chapter slightly less than "briefly".
The examples should answer that question.

> I actually don't want the Gregorian style (or, at least, that's not
> what I'm working on). I don't know enough about Gregorian chant to
> know if it's similar (for all intents and purposes) to Slavic and
> Byzantine chant.

Ok, in that case you'll need to dig a bit deeper.  Try searching
on LSR for "no time signature".

Re: No time signature?

Eyolf Østrem
On 17.11.2008 (19:49), Derek Schmidt wrote:

> Graham,
>
> I did briefly look at that chapter. What I really need to know is:
> will it take away any bar lines? Or at least let me decide where to
> put them?
>
> I actually don't want the Gregorian style (or, at least, that's not
> what I'm working on). I don't know enough about Gregorian chant to
> know if it's similar (for all intents and purposes) to Slavic and
> Byzantine chant.
>
> Thanks again,
Actually, most of the relevant chapter has been updated, but not the parts
about working with chant in modern notation. Until then, you may find the
attached file useful. It was made to mimic a very specific layout, but you
may play around with some of the settings in the layout section.

There are also some useful hints in the lsr.

Eyolf

--
  This report is filled with omissions.

aubert.ly (5K) Download Attachment

Re: No time signature?

今井雄治
Hi, alyozhik.

You can write following:

\version "2.11.63"
\relative {
        \override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = ##f
        c d e f
}

Enjoy LilyPond.

2008/11/18 alyozhik <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to Lilypond. I've been looking for a way to typeset music without
> time signatures. This is because I'm transcribing chants that often use
> _recitativ_ and rarely follow any strict meter--the rhythm of the chant is
> completely text-driven.
>
> Any way to do this?
>
> Thanks,

Re: No time signature?

alyozhik
Thanks all for the help.

I found that Mark's solution works best, with one minor addition from
an example on the LSR:

 \layout {
    raggedright = ##t
    \context {
      \Staff
      whichBar = #""
      \remove "Time_signature_engraver"

I'm guessing that the whichBar = #"" command makes it work for every staff?

Thanks again,

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 7:59 PM, Mark Polesky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A,
>
> I think it's better to remove the Time_signature_engraver
> from the Staff context, so it works in all staves without
> needing to retype the command for each staff. See below.
>
> Hope this helps.
> - Mark
>

> \version "2.11.63-1"
>
> \score {
>  <<
>  \new Staff \relative { g' a b c}
>  \new Staff \relative { g' a b c }
>  >>
>
>  \layout {
>
>    %% insert these lines within the
>    %% layout block after your music:
>    \context {
>      \Staff
>      \remove Time_signature_engraver
>    }
>
>  }

Re: No time signature?

Mark Polesky
A,

> I did briefly look at that chapter. What I really need to know is:
> will it take away any bar lines? Or at least let me decide where to
> put them?

Just so you know, in default LilyPond mode (ie. not Ancient mode), the
most appropriate way of specifying the locations of barlines is by
specifying the appropriate time-signatures for each measure.

> I'm guessing that the whichBar = #"" command makes it work for every

> staff?

No. It works for every staff because it's in...
  \layout { \context { \Staff *here* } }

The whichBar command effectively removes all barlines, but that's a
weird way of doing it. If you're curious, replace that line with
  whichBar = #"|"
and see what it does. Your code will be more correct and easier to
understand, however, if you replace the whichBar command with
  \remove Bar_engraver
That is, if you want to remove *all* barlines.

Remember, when you're coding, don't use something just because it
works in that instance; better instead to use the appropriate
command. If you want to remove all barlines, use
  \remove Bar_engraver
If you want to make them transparent, use
  \override BarLine #'transparent = ##t (in the Staff context)

By the way, somebody should change that snippet.
  ( http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=123 )

- Mark

convert-ly error

Nick Payne-3
I've seen this error several times when running convert-ly. I think it must
be a timing problem of some sort because when I run the identical command
again it always succeeds on the 2nd execution:

Running 2.11.63 on XP.

convert-ly.py --edit "C:\nick\Lilypond\Adagio\notes.ly"
convert-ly.py (GNU LilyPond) 2.11.63
Processing `C:\nick\Lilypond\Adagio\notes.ly'...
Applying conversion: 2.11.2, 2.11.5, 2.11.6, 2.11.10, 2.11.11, 2.11.13,
2.11.15, 2.11.23, 2.11.35, 2.11.38, 2.11.46, 2.11.48, 2.11.50, 2.11.51,
2.11.52, 2.11.53, 2.11.55, 2.11.57, 2.11.60, 2.11.61, 2.11.62 Traceback
(most recent call last):
  File "c:\Program Files\LilyPond\usr\bin\convert-ly.py", line 318, in ?
    main ()
  File "c:\Program Files\LilyPond\usr\bin\convert-ly.py", line 312, in main
    do_one_file (f)
  File "c:\Program Files\LilyPond\usr\bin\convert-ly.py", line 263, in
do_one_file
    os.rename (infile_name, infile_name + '~')
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied
Processing time: 0 seconds

convert-ly.py --edit "C:\nick\Lilypond\Adagio\notes.ly"
convert-ly.py (GNU LilyPond) 2.11.63
Processing `C:\nick\Lilypond\Adagio\notes.ly'...
Applying conversion: 2.11.2, 2.11.5, 2.11.6, 2.11.10, 2.11.11, 2.11.13,
2.11.15, 2.11.23, 2.11.35, 2.11.38, 2.11.46, 2.11.48, 2.11.50, 2.11.51,
2.11.52, 2.11.53, 2.11.55, 2.11.57, 2.11.60, 2.11.61, 2.11.62 Processing
time: 0 seconds