No lyric extenders for RhythmicStaff if music comes from a variable

No lyric extenders for RhythmicStaff if music comes from a variable

Lukas-Fabian Moser

Dear list,

consider:

\version "2.19.80"

Melodie = \relative g' {
    g8 16 16 16 8.~  4 r
}

\new Staff \Melodie \addlyrics { Once there was a way __ }

\new RhythmicStaff \Melodie \addlyrics { Once there was a way __ }

\new Staff \relative g' { g8 16 16 16 8.~  4 r }  \addlyrics { Once there was a way __ }

\new RhythmicStaff \relative g' { g8 16 16 16 8.~  4 r }  \addlyrics { Once there was a way __ }

As can be seen, the second example does not contain the Lyric extender. Why is this so, and how can I get it back? (True for 2.19.80 as well as not-so-current master from a few weeks/months ago.)

Best
Lukas

Re: No lyric extenders for RhythmicStaff if music comes from a variable

Aaron Hill
On 2018-11-27 1:22 pm, Lukas-Fabian Moser wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> consider:
>
> \version "2.19.80"
>
> Melodie = \relative g' {
>     g8 16 16 16 8.~  4 r
> }
>
> \new Staff \Melodie \addlyrics { Once there was a way __ }
>
> \new RhythmicStaff \Melodie \addlyrics { Once there was a way __ }
>
> \new Staff \relative g' { g8 16 16 16 8.~  4 r }  \addlyrics { Once
> there was a way __ }
>
> \new RhythmicStaff \relative g' { g8 16 16 16 8.~  4 r } \addlyrics {
> Once there was a way __ }
>
> As can be seen, the second example does not contain the Lyric
> extender. Why is this so, and how can I get it back? (True for 2.19.80
> as well as not-so-current master from a few weeks/months ago.)

Some curly braces seem to help:

%%%%
\new RhythmicStaff { \Melodie \addlyrics { Once there was a way __ } }
%%%%

Using \displayMusic shows that use of the variable versus the explicit
\relative produces a different S-expression, but I am not sure where the
fault lies.

-- Aaron Hill

Re: No lyric extenders for RhythmicStaff if music comes from a variable

David Kastrup
Aaron Hill <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 2018-11-27 1:22 pm, Lukas-Fabian Moser wrote:
>
>> \version "2.19.80"
>>
>> Melodie = \relative g' {
>>     g8 16 16 16 8.~  4 r
>> }
>>
>> \new Staff \Melodie \addlyrics { Once there was a way __ }
>>
>> \new RhythmicStaff \Melodie \addlyrics { Once there was a way __ }
>>
>> \new Staff \relative g' { g8 16 16 16 8.~  4 r }  \addlyrics { Once
>> there was a way __ }
>>
>> \new RhythmicStaff \relative g' { g8 16 16 16 8.~  4 r } \addlyrics {
>> Once there was a way __ }
>>
>> As can be seen, the second example does not contain the Lyric
>> extender. Why is this so, and how can I get it back? (True for 2.19.80
>> as well as not-so-current master from a few weeks/months ago.)
>
> Some curly braces seem to help:
>
> %%%%
> \new RhythmicStaff { \Melodie \addlyrics { Once there was a way __ } }
> %%%%
>
> Using \displayMusic shows that use of the variable versus the explicit
> \relative produces a different S-expression, but I am not sure where
> the fault lies.

I never managed to get the parser to group \addlyrics just with the
desired expressions.  Operator priorities for shift/reduce conflict
resolution are hard to get right, and this is the major case where I did
not manage even though there are several issues and patches trying to
fix it.

Re: No lyric extenders for RhythmicStaff if music comes from a variable

Lukas-Fabian Moser

>> Some curly braces seem to help:
>>
>> %%%%
>> \new RhythmicStaff { \Melodie \addlyrics { Once there was a way __ } }
>> %%%%
>>
>> Using \displayMusic shows that use of the variable versus the explicit
>> \relative produces a different S-expression, but I am not sure where
>> the fault lies.
> I never managed to get the parser to group \addlyrics just with the
> desired expressions.  Operator priorities for shift/reduce conflict
> resolution are hard to get right, and this is the major case where I did
> not manage even though there are several issues and patches trying to
> fix it.

Well, to summarize:

In less than an hour after posting a question / potential bug report,
there is

- a quick & easy solution provided by an experienced fellow user,

- an explanation and some perspective from the main developer working on
that part of the code.

Unbeatable. And on top of this, the excellent quality that LilyPond
produces (which is often remarked upon by students & colleagues that see
my worksheets containing lots of Lilypond music examples). It's simply
wonderful to work with this program - thanks so much!

Best
Lukas

Re: No lyric extenders for RhythmicStaff if music comes from a variable

Werner LEMBERG

> Well, to summarize:
>
> In less than an hour after posting a question / potential bug
> report, there is
>
> - a quick & easy solution provided by an experienced fellow user,
>
> - an explanation and some perspective from the main developer
>   working on that part of the code.
>
> Unbeatable.  And on top of this, the excellent quality that LilyPond
> produces (which is often remarked upon by students & colleagues that
> see my worksheets containing lots of Lilypond music examples).  It's
> simply wonderful to work with this program - thanks so much!

Hear, hear!  And yes, great kudos to all the helpful guys on this
list!

    Werner

Werner LEMBERG <[hidden email]> writes:

>> Well, to summarize:
>>
>> In less than an hour after posting a question / potential bug
>> report, there is
>>
>> - a quick & easy solution provided by an experienced fellow user,
>>
>> - an explanation and some perspective from the main developer
>>   working on that part of the code.
>>
>> Unbeatable.  And on top of this, the excellent quality that LilyPond
>> produces (which is often remarked upon by students & colleagues that
>> see my worksheets containing lots of Lilypond music examples).  It's
>> simply wonderful to work with this program - thanks so much!
>
> Hear, hear!  And yes, great kudos to all the helpful guys on this
> list!

Well, the equivalent of "sure, I agree this sucks" from the "highest
level" is not exactly the most brilliant endorsement, even if it may be
personally satisfying.  Which reminds me of the old joke "I'll believe
that Microsoft is able to deliver products that don't suck when they
start selling vacuum cleaners".

At any rate, nobody will claim in good conscience that LilyPond does not
have its dirty corners.