Newbie needs help with LaTeX/lilypond integration

Newbie needs help with LaTeX/lilypond integration

Ross M. Donaldson
Hello!

I am an undergraduate student wrting a musicology paper (an undergraduate
thesis). I've decided to write my paper in LaTeX in order to have a better
product (as well as to facilitate certain formatting concerns). I was thrilled
to discover the existence of lilypond, and want very badly to make it work.

That said, I'm only a semi-proficient computer user. The lilypond documentation
and, indeed, all the research I've done in an attempt to solve my own problems
pre-suppose levels of skill and comprehension which I dont have.

What I want to do:

Integrate lilypond code into my LaTeX documents. I hope to have a finished
product featuring beautifully engraved musical examples alongside text.

What I am using:
Windows XP, TeXnicCenter linked to MikTex.

What I dont understand:
How to code a LaTeX/lilypond document properly. How to compile that document
into a PDF.

I would be extraordinarily grateful if somebody/anybody on this list could help
me understand this, or even just direct me to a good FAQ/Tutorial/Help page.

Thank you all for your time!

Very best,
Ross M. Donaldson

Re: Newbie needs help with LaTeX/lilypond integration

John Wiedenhoeft
Ross M. Donaldson schrieb:

> Hello!
>
> I am an undergraduate student wrting a musicology paper (an undergraduate
> thesis). I've decided to write my paper in LaTeX in order to have a better
> product (as well as to facilitate certain formatting concerns). I was thrilled
> to discover the existence of lilypond, and want very badly to make it work.
>
> That said, I'm only a semi-proficient computer user. The lilypond documentation
> and, indeed, all the research I've done in an attempt to solve my own problems
> pre-suppose levels of skill and comprehension which I dont have.
>
> What I want to do:
>
> Integrate lilypond code into my LaTeX documents. I hope to have a finished
> product featuring beautifully engraved musical examples alongside text.
>
> What I am using:
> Windows XP, TeXnicCenter linked to MikTex.
>
> What I dont understand:
> How to code a LaTeX/lilypond document properly. How to compile that document
> into a PDF.

To learn more about coding LaTeX documents, please refer to some latex
documentation or mailinglist. For LilyPond: did you read the
lilypond-book documentation
(http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/LilyPond_002dbook.html#LilyPond_002dbook)?

Besides, I would not use that under windows, because with
Texniccenter/MikTeX it really steals your time to set up your editor
properly - it's ugly tweaking. Use pdfcrop (it's included with MikTeX)
instead to produce your snippets, and include them as images.

> I would be extraordinarily grateful if somebody/anybody on this list could help
> me understand this, or even just direct me to a good FAQ/Tutorial/Help page.
>
> Thank you all for your time!
>
> Very best,
> Ross M. Donaldson

Re: Newbie needs help with LaTeX/lilypond integration

John Wiedenhoeft
Well,actually TeXnicCenter IS the best GUI for LaTeX under Windows, and
MikTeX is definitely the best distribution. But: I don't know how
lilypond-book can be used with that. In former releases, LilyPond was
based upon cygwin, which was hard to communicate with if you use DOS
commands (what you do when setting up TXC), but possible (I managed it
some time ago, in my dark Windows days, but unfortunately didn't save a
note how I did that. I utilized the cygwin bash somehow... Now I use
Ubuntu and I'm perfectly happy with it ;-) ). In the recent version, I
have no idea how to do that, since it doesn't use cygwin any more.

But let's get back to the way I recommended: I was contacted privately
by a student writing her PhD thesis. She got my email address from the
list's archive. She wanted to do the same things as you, with the same
environment. I suggested her to use pdfcrop, which is much faster and
doesn't require any tweaking. One day later she happily replied that it
worked perfectly.

One day - setting up TXC took me weeks...

Best regards,
John

P.S.: For the benefit of other users, please keep the discussion on the
list. Note that, by pressing the reply button, you will only reply to
the author if your email client isn't setup properly.

Ross Donaldson schrieb:

> John ?
>

> Thanks for pointing me to that particular chunk of documentation ? I
> have, in fact, read a fair heap of documentation for lilypond and
> lilypond-book, but none of it was quite as useful as this. The creation
> of PDFs is also something I just figured out on my own, and is also
> quite helpful. Thanks for both of these things!
>

> So MikTeX/TeXNicCenter aren?t ideal for lilypond? Fine by me ? I?m not
> attached to either (they?re just what I wound up with on my own). I can
> easily change GUIs or LaTeX implementations, but I can?t change my OS. I
> could probably even handle command-line LaTeX if it meant a
> well-functioning lilypond-book. All this said: can you recommend a LaTeX
> implementation and/or a GUI for Windows that will work well with
> lilypond? If not, I can handle taking the PDF route ? I would simply
> prefer a different one.
>

> Again, thank you for your time!
>

> Very best,
>
> Ross M. Donaldson

Re: Newbie needs help with LaTeX/lilypond integration

Bernard Hurley-3
Does LyX work with windows? Maybe with cygwin? If so I have some scripts
for integrating LyX with Lily.  It's all a bit experimental at the
moment, so I am a bit wary of releasing it, but it works for me. If you
think it might help I can gather all the bits together and add some
instructions, but I won't have time to do this till Friday

Bernard

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 20:10 +0100, John Wiedenhoeft wrote:

> Well,actually TeXnicCenter IS the best GUI for LaTeX under Windows, and
> MikTeX is definitely the best distribution. But: I don't know how
> lilypond-book can be used with that. In former releases, LilyPond was
> based upon cygwin, which was hard to communicate with if you use DOS
> commands (what you do when setting up TXC), but possible (I managed it
> some time ago, in my dark Windows days, but unfortunately didn't save a
> note how I did that. I utilized the cygwin bash somehow... Now I use
> Ubuntu and I'm perfectly happy with it ;-) ). In the recent version, I
> have no idea how to do that, since it doesn't use cygwin any more.
>
> But let's get back to the way I recommended: I was contacted privately
> by a student writing her PhD thesis. She got my email address from the
> list's archive. She wanted to do the same things as you, with the same
> environment. I suggested her to use pdfcrop, which is much faster and
> doesn't require any tweaking. One day later she happily replied that it
> worked perfectly.
>
> One day - setting up TXC took me weeks...
>
> Best regards,
> John
>
> P.S.: For the benefit of other users, please keep the discussion on the
> list. Note that, by pressing the reply button, you will only reply to
> the author if your email client isn't setup properly.
>

> Ross Donaldson schrieb:
> > John –
> >

> > Thanks for pointing me to that particular chunk of documentation – I
> > have, in fact, read a fair heap of documentation for lilypond and
> > lilypond-book, but none of it was quite as useful as this. The creation
> > of PDFs is also something I just figured out on my own, and is also
> > quite helpful. Thanks for both of these things!
> >

> > So MikTeX/TeXNicCenter aren’t ideal for lilypond? Fine by me – I’m not
> > attached to either (they’re just what I wound up with on my own). I can
> > easily change GUIs or LaTeX implementations, but I can’t change my OS. I
> > could probably even handle command-line LaTeX if it meant a
> > well-functioning lilypond-book. All this said: can you recommend a LaTeX
> > implementation and/or a GUI for Windows that will work well with
> > lilypond? If not, I can handle taking the PDF route – I would simply
> > prefer a different one.
> >

> > Again, thank you for your time!
> >

> > Very best,
> >
> > Ross M. Donaldson

Bernard Hurley <[hidden email]>

Bernard Hurley schrieb:
> Does LyX work with windows? Maybe with cygwin?

I don't think so. But you could look it up - I think, there must be a
package list somewhere.

> If so I have some scripts
> for integrating LyX with Lily.  It's all a bit experimental at the
> moment, so I am a bit wary of releasing it, but it works for me. If you
> think it might help I can gather all the bits together and add some
> instructions, but I won't have time to do this till Friday

Why simple, if you can have it complicated ;-)

Re: Newbie needs help with LaTeX/lilypond integration

David Rogers-6

On Nov 22, 2005, at 14:22, Bernard Hurley wrote:

> Does LyX work with windows? Maybe with cygwin? If so I have some
> scripts

<http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/Windows>

Re: Newbie needs help with LaTeX/lilypond integration

D Josiah Boothby
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Bernard Hurley wrote:

> Does LyX work with windows? Maybe with cygwin?

There is a port of LyX for windows. Not being a windows user, I can't say
how well it works, but I've been pleased with its performance on Linux.
Info on the windows port can be found onthe following sites:

http://www.home.zonnet.nl/rareitsma/lyx/
http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/Windows

> If so I have some scripts for integrating LyX with Lily.  It's all a bit
> experimental at the moment, so I am a bit wary of releasing it, but it
> works for me. If you think it might help I can gather all the bits
> together and add some instructions, but I won't have time to do this
> till Friday
>
> Bernard

I'd be personally curious to try this out if you're willing to share it.
Lilypond integration (or the lack thereof) is the only thing that has kept
me from using LyX or Kile. For some reason I always seem to return to
Emacs :)

Josiah

On Nov 22, 2005, at 14:57, D Josiah Boothby wrote:

> There is a port of LyX for windows. Not being a windows user, I
> can't say how well it works, but I've been pleased with its
> performance on Linux. Info on the windows port can be found onthe
> following sites:
>
> http://www.home.zonnet.nl/rareitsma/lyx/
> http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/Windows

Josiah - at your second link, there is an explanation of why your
first link is out of date.

David

Integration with LyX was: Re: Newbie needs help with LaTeX/lilypond integration

Bernard Hurley-3
On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 14:57 -0800, D Josiah Boothby wrote:

Here are the scripts. I'm afraid you will still have to use emacs to
edit the lilypond files. But if you want to write a book with LyX with
embedded lilypond this might be of use. There are two scripts:

lyx-book.sh - a wrapper round lyx that allows you to set up the
environment necessary for calling lilypond-book.

latex-to-lily.sh - a LyX converter.

I have only used it for LyX 1.3.6 and with lilypond 2.7.16 - 2.7.18

There is a README file to tell you how to set it all up

The scripts are experimental so if they burn your toast, start a
neuclear war or ruin you sex life, don't blaim me!

enjoy

--
Bernard Hurley <[hidden email]>

README (12K) Download Attachment
latex-to-lily.sh (2K) Download Attachment
lyx-book.sh (7K) Download Attachment