Newbie, lyrics and vertical spacing.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Newbie, lyrics and vertical spacing.

Rodolfo Zitellini
Hi all,
I am planning of typesetitng with lylipond a large quantity of vocal
music with instruments for a pubblication. I am quite new to lilypond
but after some work I was able to typeset the foist movement of the
first chorus (eight voices + nine instruments). While everything seems
to work out well, including lyrics, I have problems vith vertical
spacing. I have set a vertical spacing og -6.6 in my \layout block:

\layout {
  indent = 2.0\cm
  \context { \Staff
    minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 )
  }
}

The problem is that the voices wich have lyrics have a huge vertical
spacing added in the first page (even if the voices enter after a few
pages), disappears on subsequent pages, and reappears when the vhorus
starts. This seems idipendent to the minimumVerticalExtent I try to
set. Is there a way to force the vertical spacing of staffs with
lyrics? The spacing between chorus staffs is indeed large, and the
text is set far away from the end of the staff.
BTW sometimes I get an erroneous page breaking (my 17-staff staff
systems accoupies one full page): two systems instead of getting on
two separate pages are put on one (one system shows fully and the
other only the first staff, atthe end of the page). Lilypond ouputs
non errors or warnings.
Thanks
Rodofo


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Newbie, lyrics and vertical spacing.

Mats Bengtsson-6
See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2005-08/msg00085.html

   /Mats

Quoting Rodolfo Zitellini <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
> I am planning of typesetitng with lylipond a large quantity of vocal
> music with instruments for a pubblication. I am quite new to lilypond
> but after some work I was able to typeset the foist movement of the
> first chorus (eight voices + nine instruments). While everything seems
> to work out well, including lyrics, I have problems vith vertical
> spacing. I have set a vertical spacing og -6.6 in my \layout block:
>
> \layout {
>  indent = 2.0\cm
>  \context { \Staff
>    minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 )
>  }
> }
>
> The problem is that the voices wich have lyrics have a huge vertical
> spacing added in the first page (even if the voices enter after a few
> pages), disappears on subsequent pages, and reappears when the vhorus
> starts. This seems idipendent to the minimumVerticalExtent I try to
> set. Is there a way to force the vertical spacing of staffs with
> lyrics? The spacing between chorus staffs is indeed large, and the
> text is set far away from the end of the staff.
> BTW sometimes I get an erroneous page breaking (my 17-staff staff
> systems accoupies one full page): two systems instead of getting on
> two separate pages are put on one (one system shows fully and the
> other only the first staff, atthe end of the page). Lilypond ouputs
> non errors or warnings.
> Thanks
> Rodofo
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> lilypond-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
>





_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Newbie, lyrics and vertical spacing.

Rodolfo Zitellini
On 11/14/05, Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please always keep the discussion on the mailing list,

oops, excuse me, I didn't realize that the From: filed of the mail had
the personal emain and not the list's.

> I hope you know that you have increased the default space occupied by
> each stave, when you set minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 ). I don't
> realize what you tried to achieve when changing the default value.

Yes I did that to have the staffs a bit more spaced.

> Also, note that the Lyrics context also defines a minimumVerticalExtent
> which also contributes to the spacing between staves and lyrics.

I see. Is it possible to redefine the minimumVerticalExtent for the
lyrics context? It seems that the minimumVerticalExtent redefined by
the lyrics gets summed to the global minimumVerticalExtent I set,
making a huge space (only for staves with lyrics, the other are ok).

Rodolfo


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Newbie, lyrics and vertical spacing.

Mats Bengtsson-6


Rodolfo Zitellini wrote:

>On 11/14/05, Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  
>
>>Please always keep the discussion on the mailing list,
>>    
>>
>
>oops, excuse me, I didn't realize that the From: filed of the mail had
>the personal emain and not the list's.
>
>  
>
>>I hope you know that you have increased the default space occupied by
>>each stave, when you set minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 ). I don't
>>realize what you tried to achieve when changing the default value.
>>    
>>
>
>Yes I did that to have the staffs a bit more spaced.
>  
>
If you only want larger spacing between the score lines, you should
instead look at section "Vertical Spacing" and read about
betweensystemspacing. Note that you can also set the extent of each
separate Staff by setting the property like
\new Staff with {minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 ) } {
%The actual music
}

>>Also, note that the Lyrics context also defines a minimumVerticalExtent
>>which also contributes to the spacing between staves and lyrics.
>>    
>>
>
>I see. Is it possible to redefine the minimumVerticalExtent for the
>lyrics context?
>
Of course! Just replace "Staff" by "Lyrics".

> It seems that the minimumVerticalExtent redefined by
>the lyrics gets summed to the global minimumVerticalExtent I set,
>making a huge space (only for staves with lyrics, the other are ok).
>  
>

Maybe there's a misunderstanding here since you say "global". You make the
setting for every Staff context (i.e. for every stave) in the score, so
in that sense
it's "global", but it doesn't apply to any other kind of contexts.

    /Mats


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Newbie, lyrics and vertical spacing.

Rodolfo Zitellini
On 11/14/05, Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you only want larger spacing between the score lines, you should
> instead look at section "Vertical Spacing" and read about
> betweensystemspacing. Note that you can also set the extent of each
> separate Staff by setting the property like
> \new Staff with {minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 ) } {
> %The actual music
> }
>

I did this:
\new StaffGroup <<
   \new Staff with { minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 ) } \violinouno
   \new Staff with { minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 ) } \violinodue
   \new Staff with { minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 ) } \viola
   \new Staff with { minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 ) } \violoncello
>>

But then I get:
gaudeamus.ly:45:14: error: syntax error, unexpected STRING
   \new Staff
              with { minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 ) } \violinouno
gaudeamus.ly:34:0: error: errors found, ignoring music expression

I'm using lilypond 2.6.3

> > It seems that the minimumVerticalExtent redefined by
> >the lyrics gets summed to the global minimumVerticalExtent I set,
> >making a huge space (only for staves with lyrics, the other are ok).
> >
> >
>
> Maybe there's a misunderstanding here since you say "global". You make the
> setting for every Staff context (i.e. for every stave) in the score, so
> in that sense
> it's "global", but it doesn't apply to any other kind of contexts.

I set the minimumVerticalExtent in the \layout block:
\layout {
  indent = 2.0\cm
  \context {
   \Staff minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 )
  }
}

Thanks,
Rodolfo


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Newbie, lyrics and vertical spacing.

Mats Bengtsson-6
The correct syntax is \new Staff \with {...} ...
I recommend you to take a look at the corresponding part of
the manual for more information, see "9.1.3 Modifying context
plug-ins"

   /Mats

Rodolfo Zitellini wrote:

>On 11/14/05, Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  
>
>>If you only want larger spacing between the score lines, you should
>>instead look at section "Vertical Spacing" and read about
>>betweensystemspacing. Note that you can also set the extent of each
>>separate Staff by setting the property like
>>\new Staff with {minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 ) } {
>>%The actual music
>>}
>>
>>    
>>
>
>I did this:
>\new StaffGroup <<
>   \new Staff with { minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 ) } \violinouno
>   \new Staff with { minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 ) } \violinodue
>   \new Staff with { minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 ) } \viola
>   \new Staff with { minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 ) } \violoncello
>  
>
>
>But then I get:
>gaudeamus.ly:45:14: error: syntax error, unexpected STRING
>   \new Staff
>              with { minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 ) } \violinouno
>gaudeamus.ly:34:0: error: errors found, ignoring music expression
>
>I'm using lilypond 2.6.3
>
>  
>
>>>It seems that the minimumVerticalExtent redefined by
>>>the lyrics gets summed to the global minimumVerticalExtent I set,
>>>making a huge space (only for staves with lyrics, the other are ok).
>>>
>>>
>>>      
>>>
>>Maybe there's a misunderstanding here since you say "global". You make the
>>setting for every Staff context (i.e. for every stave) in the score, so
>>in that sense
>>it's "global", but it doesn't apply to any other kind of contexts.
>>    
>>
>
>I set the minimumVerticalExtent in the \layout block:
>\layout {
>  indent = 2.0\cm
>  \context {
>   \Staff minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 )
>  }
>}
>
>Thanks,
>Rodolfo
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>lilypond-user mailing list
>[hidden email]
>http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
>  
>

--
=============================================
        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe
=============================================



_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user