New LilyPond website

1234 ... 15

New LilyPond website

John Roper
Hi, my name is John Roper and I am a freelance developer who does web design among other things. I use LilyPond occasionally and I felt that the website needed a little bit of a sprucing up. I decided to see what I could do and I have created a new, nicer looking, website based on wordpress which you can preview at http://jmroper.com/lilypond/. I have managed to get most of the content from the other website transferred over and I hope to have it all done soon. I was hoping that it would be able to move the LilyPond blog over to the main website as well. Please tell me what you think.

Thanks,

John Roper

--
John Roper
Freelance Developer and Simulation Artist

Re: New LilyPond website

H. S. Teoh
On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 06:25:24PM -0500, John Roper wrote:

>    Hi, my name is John Roper and I am a freelance developer who does
>    web design among other things. I use LilyPond occasionally and I
>    felt that the website needed a little bit of a sprucing up. I
>    decided to see what I could do and I have created a new, nicer
>    looking, website based on wordpress which you can preview
>    at http://jmroper.com/lilypond/. I have managed to get most of the
>    content from the other website transferred over and I hope to have
>    it all done soon. I was hoping that it would be able to move the
>    LilyPond blog over to the main website as well. Please tell me what
>    you think.
[...]

I don't speak for the community, but personally, I'd rather the website
be at least usable with scripting disabled. (Even though I am not
against making it nicer with scripting. But it shouldn't be a
requirement for the site to be usable.)

Guns don't kill people. Bullets do.

Re: New LilyPond website

tisimst
Hi, John!

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 4:27 PM, John Roper [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, my name is John Roper and I am a freelance developer who does web design among other things. I use LilyPond occasionally and I felt that the website needed a little bit of a sprucing up. I decided to see what I could do and I have created a new, nicer looking, website based on wordpress which you can preview at http://jmroper.com/lilypond/. I have managed to get most of the content from the other website transferred over and I hope to have it all done soon. I was hoping that it would be able to move the LilyPond blog over to the main website as well. Please tell me what you think.

I, for one, really like what you've done. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the main site go this route, but I'm okay with it as it is if that's not the consensus.

A couple of first impressions/thoughts:
1. When I accessed the site, I couldn't see any images (except for the snippets on the examples page). Any idea why?
2. On the "Learn" page, the Split HTML and Big HTML buttons shouldn't say "Download" because they are accessed online. Maybe "View"?
3. I realize the site is just a prototype, but I think it would be better to not use the image found on the Making Notes blog as the post header image for the blog posts.

Great work! Can't wait to see the next iteration!

Best,
Abraham

Fwd: Re: New LilyPond website

John Roper

Re: New LilyPond website

John Roper

On Nov 28, 2016 7:03 PM, "tisimst" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, John!
>
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 4:27 PM, John Roper [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Hi, my name is John Roper and I am a freelance developer who does web design among other things. I use LilyPond occasionally and I felt that the website needed a little bit of a sprucing up. I decided to see what I could do and I have created a new, nicer looking, website based on wordpress which you can preview at http://jmroper.com/lilypond/. I have managed to get most of the content from the other website transferred over and I hope to have it all done soon. I was hoping that it would be able to move the LilyPond blog over to the main website as well. Please tell me what you think.
>

> I, for one, really like what you've done. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the main site go this route, but I'm okay with it as it is if that's not the consensus.
>
> A couple of first impressions/thoughts:
> 1. When I accessed the site, I couldn't see any images (except for the snippets on the examples page). Any idea why?
> 2. On the "Learn" page, the Split HTML and Big HTML buttons shouldn't say "Download" because they are accessed online. Maybe "View"?
> 3. I realize the site is just a prototype, but I think it would be better to not use the image found on the Making Notes blog as the post header image for the blog posts.
>
> Great work! Can't wait to see the next iteration!
>
> Best,
> Abraham

Re: New LilyPond website

John Roper
Ok, the image errors should all be fixed now.

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 8:06 PM, John Roper <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, the image errors should all be fixed now.

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 7:56 PM, John Roper <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Nov 28, 2016 7:03 PM, "tisimst" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, John!
>
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 4:27 PM, John Roper [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Hi, my name is John Roper and I am a freelance developer who does web design among other things. I use LilyPond occasionally and I felt that the website needed a little bit of a sprucing up. I decided to see what I could do and I have created a new, nicer looking, website based on wordpress which you can preview at http://jmroper.com/lilypond/. I have managed to get most of the content from the other website transferred over and I hope to have it all done soon. I was hoping that it would be able to move the LilyPond blog over to the main website as well. Please tell me what you think.
>

> I, for one, really like what you've done. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the main site go this route, but I'm okay with it as it is if that's not the consensus.
>
> A couple of first impressions/thoughts:
> 1. When I accessed the site, I couldn't see any images (except for the snippets on the examples page). Any idea why?
> 2. On the "Learn" page, the Split HTML and Big HTML buttons shouldn't say "Download" because they are accessed online. Maybe "View"?
> 3. I realize the site is just a prototype, but I think it would be better to not use the image found on the Making Notes blog as the post header image for the blog posts.
>
> Great work! Can't wait to see the next iteration!
>
> Best,
> Abraham

John roper
Freelance Developer and Simulation Artist
Boston, MA USA
http://jmroper.com/

--
John Roper
Freelance Developer and Simulation Artist
Boston, MA USA
http://jmroper.com/

Re: New LilyPond website

John Roper
The download links are shown as such for the learning resources because they are listed as downloads on the actual LilyPond website.

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 8:09 PM, John Roper <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 8:06 PM, John Roper <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, the image errors should all be fixed now.

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 7:56 PM, John Roper <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Nov 28, 2016 7:03 PM, "tisimst" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, John!
>
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 4:27 PM, John Roper [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Hi, my name is John Roper and I am a freelance developer who does web design among other things. I use LilyPond occasionally and I felt that the website needed a little bit of a sprucing up. I decided to see what I could do and I have created a new, nicer looking, website based on wordpress which you can preview at http://jmroper.com/lilypond/. I have managed to get most of the content from the other website transferred over and I hope to have it all done soon. I was hoping that it would be able to move the LilyPond blog over to the main website as well. Please tell me what you think.
>

> I, for one, really like what you've done. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the main site go this route, but I'm okay with it as it is if that's not the consensus.
>
> A couple of first impressions/thoughts:
> 1. When I accessed the site, I couldn't see any images (except for the snippets on the examples page). Any idea why?
> 2. On the "Learn" page, the Split HTML and Big HTML buttons shouldn't say "Download" because they are accessed online. Maybe "View"?
> 3. I realize the site is just a prototype, but I think it would be better to not use the image found on the Making Notes blog as the post header image for the blog posts.
>
> Great work! Can't wait to see the next iteration!
>
> Best,
> Abraham

John roper
Freelance Developer and Simulation Artist
Boston, MA USA
http://jmroper.com/

--
John Roper
Freelance Developer and Simulation Artist
Boston, MA USA
http://jmroper.com/

--
John Roper
Freelance Developer and Simulation Artist
Boston, MA USA
http://jmroper.com/

Re: New LilyPond website

John Roper
I have thought about the no scripts idea, and I belive that right now, there are not many websites that do not use javascript for some functionality. Wordpress it's self is almost entirely built upon javascript and php and it makes up >25% of all websites online (https://martechtoday.com/wordpress-used-on-25-percent-of-all-websites-report-151115). Even the lilypond blog runs on wordpress.

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 8:23 PM, John Roper <[hidden email]> wrote:
The download links are shown as such for the learning resources because they are listed as downloads on the actual LilyPond website.

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 8:09 PM, John Roper <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 8:06 PM, John Roper <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, the image errors should all be fixed now.

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 7:56 PM, John Roper <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Nov 28, 2016 7:03 PM, "tisimst" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, John!
>
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 4:27 PM, John Roper [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Hi, my name is John Roper and I am a freelance developer who does web design among other things. I use LilyPond occasionally and I felt that the website needed a little bit of a sprucing up. I decided to see what I could do and I have created a new, nicer looking, website based on wordpress which you can preview at http://jmroper.com/lilypond/. I have managed to get most of the content from the other website transferred over and I hope to have it all done soon. I was hoping that it would be able to move the LilyPond blog over to the main website as well. Please tell me what you think.
>

> I, for one, really like what you've done. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the main site go this route, but I'm okay with it as it is if that's not the consensus.
>
> A couple of first impressions/thoughts:
> 1. When I accessed the site, I couldn't see any images (except for the snippets on the examples page). Any idea why?
> 2. On the "Learn" page, the Split HTML and Big HTML buttons shouldn't say "Download" because they are accessed online. Maybe "View"?
> 3. I realize the site is just a prototype, but I think it would be better to not use the image found on the Making Notes blog as the post header image for the blog posts.
>
> Great work! Can't wait to see the next iteration!
>
> Best,
> Abraham

John roper
Freelance Developer and Simulation Artist
Boston, MA USA
http://jmroper.com/

--
John Roper
Freelance Developer and Simulation Artist
Boston, MA USA
http://jmroper.com/

--
John Roper
Freelance Developer and Simulation Artist
Boston, MA USA
http://jmroper.com/

--
John Roper
Freelance Developer and Simulation Artist
Boston, MA USA
http://jmroper.com/

Re: Re: New LilyPond website

tisimst
On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 5:57 PM, John Roper [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:

The making notes blog? The image that I used I got off of unsplash (cc0 images).

Ah! That makes more sense. Sorry for the noise.

As for images not loading, what browser/O's are you on?

Opera. I still get no images there. It seems to work fine with Firefox, though.

Best,
Abraham

Re: New LilyPond website

Urs Liska

Am 29. November 2016 02:33:25 MEZ, schrieb John Roper <[hidden email]>:
>I have thought about the no scripts idea, and I belive that right now,
>there are not many websites that do not use javascript for some
>functionality. Wordpress it's self is almost entirely built upon
>javascript
>and php and it makes up >25% of all websites online (
>https://martechtoday.com/wordpress-used-on-25-percent-of-all-websites-report-151115).
>Even the lilypond blog runs on wordpress.

lilypondblog.org is in many ways independent from lilypond.org and the LilyPond project.

Urs

>On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 8:23 PM, John Roper <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> The download links are shown as such for the learning resources
>because
>> they are listed as downloads on the actual LilyPond website.
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 8:09 PM, John Roper <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> https://unsplash.com/search/sheet-music?photo=6mXWOm43zZg

><[hidden email]>

><[hidden

>does
>felt that
>what I
>transferred
>would be
>Please

>mind
>if that's

>for
>shouldn't
>be
>post

>Nabble.com.

>>> --
>>> John Roper
>>> Freelance Developer and Simulation Artist
>>> Boston, MA USA
>>> http://jmroper.com/
>>>

>> --
>> John Roper
>> Freelance Developer and Simulation Artist
>> Boston, MA USA
>> http://jmroper.com/

Re: New LilyPond website

Jacques Menu Muzhic
Hello John,

A well-done site!

You could make the image in the Examples page a link to the source code, as in LSR.

JM

> Le 29 nov. 2016 à 06:44, Urs Liska <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>

> Am 29. November 2016 02:33:25 MEZ, schrieb John Roper <[hidden email]>:
>> I have thought about the no scripts idea, and I belive that right now,
>> there are not many websites that do not use javascript for some
>> functionality. Wordpress it's self is almost entirely built upon
>> javascript
>> and php and it makes up >25% of all websites online (
>> https://martechtoday.com/wordpress-used-on-25-percent-of-all-websites-report-151115).
>> Even the lilypond blog runs on wordpress.
>
> lilypondblog.org is in many ways independent from lilypond.org and the LilyPond project.
>
> Urs
>

>> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 8:23 PM, John Roper <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The download links are shown as such for the learning resources
>> because
>>> they are listed as downloads on the actual LilyPond website.

>> <[hidden email]>

>> <[hidden

>> does
>> felt that
>> what I
>> transferred
>> would be
>> Please

>> mind
>> if that's

>> for
>> shouldn't
>> be
>> post

>> Nabble.com.

>>> --
>>> John Roper
>>> Freelance Developer and Simulation Artist
>>> Boston, MA USA
>>> http://jmroper.com/
>>>

> --
> Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android-Mobiltelefon mit K-9 Mail gesendet.

Re: New LilyPond website

jeffery shivers
I would suggest to get rid of the Ray-Ban advertisement on the first page - the "Learn More" button there seems redundant anyway, since it scrolls down to the
​very next ​
thing below it.
​Alternatively, i​
t would be attractive to see the
​"Features
"​
right away on that first page, and if anything goes above it maybe that could be the following:
LilyPond is a music engraving program, devoted to producing the highest-quality sheet music possible. It brings the aesthetics of traditionally engraved music to computer printouts. LilyPond is free software and part of the GNU Project.
There's a ton of content missing that hasn't been copied over from the original website, and I couldn't begin to guess how you'd plan on (re)organizing all of it within the framework you have proposed.

Sort of along the same line, everything is so blown up that it all requires so much scrolling to get through (and ; the navigation is just tedious and (to me) doesn't support the kind of easy/friendly profile we'd want to welcome new users (or anyone) with.

That's all to say, I think the current website works very well as is right now, and really don't see a reason to completely transform it. Some small changes, like to the color scheme perhaps, could be nice though.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 12:53 AM, Jacques Menu Muzhic <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello John,

A well-done site!

You could make the image in the Examples page a link to the source code, as in LSR.

JM

> Le 29 nov. 2016 à 06:44, Urs Liska <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>

> Am 29. November 2016 02:33:25 MEZ, schrieb John Roper <[hidden email]>:
>> I have thought about the no scripts idea, and I belive that right now,
>> there are not many websites that do not use javascript for some
>> functionality. Wordpress it's self is almost entirely built upon
>> javascript
>> and php and it makes up >25% of all websites online (
>> https://martechtoday.com/wordpress-used-on-25-percent-of-all-websites-report-151115).
>> Even the lilypond blog runs on wordpress.
>
> lilypondblog.org is in many ways independent from lilypond.org and the LilyPond project.
>
> Urs
>

>> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 8:23 PM, John Roper <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The download links are shown as such for the learning resources
>> because
>>> they are listed as downloads on the actual LilyPond website.

>> <[hidden email]>

>> <[hidden

>> does
>> felt that
>> what I
>> transferred
>> would be
>> Please

>> mind
>> if that's

>> for
>> shouldn't
>> be
>> post

>> Nabble.com.

>>> --
>>> John Roper
>>> Freelance Developer and Simulation Artist
>>> Boston, MA USA
>>> http://jmroper.com/
>>>

> --
> Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android-Mobiltelefon mit K-9 Mail gesendet.

Re: New LilyPond website

Johan Vromans
On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 18:25:24 -0500, John Roper <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi, my name is John Roper and I am a freelance developer who does web
> design among other things. I use LilyPond occasionally and I felt that the
> website needed a little bit of a sprucing up. I decided to see what I
> could do and I have created a new, nicer looking, website based on
> wordpress which you can preview at http://jmroper.com/lilypond/.

I think you have done a great job! This really takes the LilyPond web site
into the 21st century, matching the sites of the competition.

Much can be said about details but this is an opportunity we cannot afford
to miss.

-- Johan

Re: New LilyPond website

Henning Hraban Ramm-3

Am 2016-11-29 um 02:33 schrieb John Roper <[hidden email]>:

> I have thought about the no scripts idea, and I belive that right now, there are not many websites that do not use javascript for some functionality. Wordpress it's self is almost entirely built upon javascript and php and it makes up >25% of all websites online (https://martechtoday.com/wordpress-used-on-25-percent-of-all-websites-report-151115). Even the lilypond blog runs on wordpress.

The blog is not an official part of the LilyPond project.

LilyPond’s website gets build with LilyPond’s build process. In several languages at once. From version managed sources.
Can you build a Wordpress site with make or other automatable command line tools? No, you can’t.
Are you willing to spend your time fixing security bugs of Wordpress? I wouldn’t.

Please look up several previous discussions about new website designs that took place on the LilyPond mailing lists, before you invest more time.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
fiëé visuëlle
Henning Hraban Ramm
http://www.fiee.net

Re: New LilyPond website

Urs Liska

Am 29.11.2016 um 08:36 schrieb Johan Vromans:

> On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 18:25:24 -0500, John Roper <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi, my name is John Roper and I am a freelance developer who does web
>> design among other things. I use LilyPond occasionally and I felt that the
>> website needed a little bit of a sprucing up. I decided to see what I
>> could do and I have created a new, nicer looking, website based on
>> wordpress which you can preview at http://jmroper.com/lilypond/.
> I think you have done a great job! This really takes the LilyPond web site
> into the 21st century, matching the sites of the competition.
>
> Much can be said about details but this is an opportunity we cannot afford
> to miss.

One thing that has to be said now (should have been said much earlier).
If a website based on any dynamically served CMS wants to get *any*
chance there must be a totally clear/clean separation from the manuals.
These are built during from LilyPond's source and have to be served
statically.
Additionally there has been *very strict* opposition to anything other
than statically served sites for lilypond.org in the past. Not all of
the reasons are bullet-proof but most are, and you will not get consent
for anything else. As Henning posted while I was writing this you should
look up earlier discussions on both the lilypond-user and the
lilypond-devel list in order to know what kind of discussion you're
dealing with.

Urs

> -- Johan

Re: New LilyPond website

bart deruyter

I really like what you did too, but I share the worries I read in this thread as well. I've tried the dutch translation and it is clear that is auto-translated. My main language is Dutch I find it almost unreadable in Dutch.

My main issue with the current lilypond website is that it is not mobile friendly.
Your design certainly fixed that, which is a big plus!
Another big plus is the use of big fonts. No more leaning down towards the screen to see if that dot is there or not. Even if the lilypond-site would not use a CMS, I think we certainly can learn from your design and implement it in any system (most is CSS anyway).

Good work!

Bart

John Roper <[hidden email]> writes:

> I have thought about the no scripts idea, and I belive that right now,
> there are not many websites that do not use javascript for some
> functionality.

We have several blind users reading and writing on this mailing list
alone.  Text browsers tend to do a rather bad job at getting scripted
pages rendered in a useful manner.

Re: New LilyPond website

Johan Vromans
On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 08:45:12 +0100, Urs Liska <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Additionally there has been *very strict* opposition to anything other
> than statically served sites for lilypond.org in the past. Not all of
> the reasons are bullet-proof but most are, and you will not get consent
> for anything else.

If the web site must be cast in stone, then welcome back to the stone age.
At least this will mootify further discussions about why LilyPond is not
getting considered a serious competitor in the market.

If someone offers me a web site like John did, I would embrace it with all
arms and try to overcome the objections, instead of bluntly rejecting it.

-- Johan

Re: New LilyPond website

Werner LEMBERG

>> Additionally there has been *very strict* opposition to anything
>> other than statically served sites for lilypond.org in the past.
>> Not all of the reasons are bullet-proof but most are, and you will
>> not get consent for anything else.
>
> If the web site must be cast in stone, then welcome back to the
> stone age.  At least this will mootify further discussions about why
> LilyPond is not getting considered a serious competitor in the
> market.
>
> If someone offers me a web site like John did, I would embrace it
> with all arms and try to overcome the objections, instead of bluntly
> rejecting it.

IMHO you are completely missing the point.  As David K. pointed out,
it must be viewable and navigatable by blind people.  Additionally, it
must be possible to build the documentation of lilypond with `make
doc'.  If the suggested approach allows that, then everything's fine!
We then would need someone who is doing the job to set this up and
convert the old stuff to the new one.  However, this isn't a trivial
task and it probably takes a long time to get it right, so we need
someone who has a lot of endurance and stamina...

    Werner

1234 ... 15