New LilyPond contributor: Basia Mroczek

12

New LilyPond contributor: Basia Mroczek

Janek Warchoł
Hi everyone,

I'd like to introduce Basia Mroczek, who's joining our team for several
months. Basia is a graduate (is that the correct english term?) of
Mathematics at the University of Warsaw (so, cream of the crop!) who'd like
to steer her career more towards programming rather than math.

She's a musician (sings and plays guitar) and a LilyPond user (as the
librarian of the choir in which I used to sing - and in which I had been a
librarian, too!). That's quite some similarities between us ;-)

I have invited her to join LilyPond project as an intern programmer and
will tutor her, hoping that she will have a lot of opportunities to learn
skills necessary for software development, gather experience - and make
LilyPond better in the process.

Please give her a warm welcome!
Janek

Re: New LilyPond contributor: Basia Mroczek

David Kastrup
Janek Warchoł <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to introduce Basia Mroczek, who's joining our team for several
> months. Basia is a graduate (is that the correct english term?) of
> Mathematics at the University of Warsaw (so, cream of the crop!) who'd like
> to steer her career more towards programming rather than math.
>
> She's a musician (sings and plays guitar) and a LilyPond user (as the
> librarian of the choir in which I used to sing - and in which I had been a
> librarian, too!). That's quite some similarities between us ;-)
>
> I have invited her to join LilyPond project as an intern programmer and
> will tutor her, hoping that she will have a lot of opportunities to learn
> skills necessary for software development, gather experience - and make
> LilyPond better in the process.

LilyPond is quite a bit of old-school UNIX technology.  Certainly
something worth playing with if you plan to develop competence working
with inherited code bases.

Have fun!

Re: New LilyPond contributor: Basia Mroczek

Werner LEMBERG

> Please give her a warm welcome!

Warm welcome :-)

I suggest to start with setting up a build environment (on GNU/Linux
box or in a virtual GNU/Linux machine) so that changes to C++ code,
Scheme code, and documentation can be easily done.

    Werner

Re: New LilyPond contributor: Basia Mroczek

Urs Liska-3

Am 22.11.18 um 00:21 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
>> Please give her a warm welcome!
> Warm welcome :-)
>
> I suggest to start with setting up a build environment (on GNU/Linux
> box or in a virtual GNU/Linux machine) so that changes to C++ code,
> Scheme code, and documentation can be easily done.

Janek has created a set of very useful scripts. Maybe this would be the
opportunity to adapt them so they can also be used on systems with
custom-compiled Guile 1.8.8?

>      Werner

Re: New LilyPond contributor: Basia Mroczek

Urs Liska-3
Hello Basia (and Janek),

Am 21.11.18 um 23:20 schrieb Janek Warchoł:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to introduce Basia Mroczek, who's joining our team for several
> months. Basia is a graduate (is that the correct english term?) of
> Mathematics at the University of Warsaw (so, cream of the crop!) who'd like
> to steer her career more towards programming rather than math.
>
> She's a musician (sings and plays guitar) and a LilyPond user (as the
> librarian of the choir in which I used to sing - and in which I had been a
> librarian, too!). That's quite some similarities between us ;-)
>
> I have invited her to join LilyPond project as an intern programmer and
> will tutor her, hoping that she will have a lot of opportunities to learn
> skills necessary for software development, gather experience - and make
> LilyPond better in the process.
>
> Please give her a warm welcome!

Welcome to our community. It's great to see motivated new people coming
around. And if you managed to get Janek to show up again we're
additionally grateful for your appearance ;-)

I'm sure Janek will (or already has started) point you to setting up a
working environment, as Werner has suggested. For us it would also be
interesting to know a little bit about your programming experience and
interests. The major languages used in the LilyPond context are C++
(with strong ties to the Guile platform
(https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/learn/)) and Guile Scheme, and
Python both for a number of helper tools and the Frescobaldi editor.
Your knowledge of or interest in learning these languages is probably
the most determining factor for thinking about *what* you could start
working on.

Best wishes
Urs

> Janek

Re: New LilyPond contributor: Basia Mroczek

Karlin High
On 11/21/2018 4:20 PM, Janek Warchoł wrote:
> Please give her a warm welcome!

Welcome!

And unless you both don't mind me mispronouncing your names in my head,
what's the proper way?
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

Re: New LilyPond contributor: Basia Mroczek

Torsten Hämmerle
Welcome, Basia, and
welcome back, Janek!

Good to see young people joining the flock. :)

@Karlin:
Basia is a Polish affectionate/familiar form of Barbara.
It is pronounced "Basha", similar to Masha or Sasha, just with a B in front.
"Bahsa Mrotchek" would probably be the anglicised spelling, with "otch" like
in "crotchet".

All the best
Torsten
just a stone's throw (by US standards) away from Poland

--
Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Dev-f88644.html

Re: New LilyPond contributor: Basia Mroczek

Carl Sorensen-3
Welcome, Basia!

We're always excited to see new people join in with us!

Janek is a great resource; I expect the two of you to make great contributions to LilyPond.  And I hope you'll have fun doing so!

Carl Sorensen
Provo, UT, US

Re: New LilyPond contributor: Basia Mroczek

Karlin High
Thanks for the pronunciation tips. I don't know much about Poland; a
flight between Amsterdam and Kiev is as close as I've come. But last
year, I got a new favorite Christmas carol: a translation of the Polish
"Tryumfy Króla Niebieskiego."

<http://lillychapelpress.com/song.php?pid=107&sid=106&Lid=0>

--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

czw., 22 lis 2018 o 00:21 Werner LEMBERG <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

> I suggest to start with setting up a build environment (on GNU/Linux
> box or in a virtual GNU/Linux machine) so that changes to C++ code,
> Scheme code, and documentation can be easily done.

Yeah, we're working on that. :)

czw., 22 lis 2018 o 00:29 Urs Liska <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

> Janek has created a set of very useful scripts.

Whoah, I almost forgot them :p
So, you're still using them?

> Maybe this would be the
> opportunity to adapt them so they can also be used on systems with
> custom-compiled Guile 1.8.8?

Interesting, AFAIR they're just bash scripts. Is there anything to adapt?

Janek

Re: New LilyPond contributor: Basia Mroczek

Janek Warchoł
Hello,

czw., 22 lis 2018 o 13:58 Torsten Hämmerle <[hidden email]>
napisał(a):

> Welcome, Basia, and
> welcome back, Janek!
>
> Good to see young people joining the flock. :)
>
> @Karlin:
> Basia is a Polish affectionate/familiar form of Barbara.
> It is pronounced "Basha", similar to Masha or Sasha, just with a B in
> front.
> "Bahsa Mrotchek" would probably be the anglicised spelling, with "otch"
> like
> in "crotchet".

"Mrotchek" is quite close, but the given name is much harder: "sh" is not
the sound that's supposed to appear there. I think it may not be present in
English - fortunately I've found a good sample pronounciation:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Basia#Pronunciation

As for me, I'd say "Yaneck" is what you should aim for (but I'm not going
to try this for the family name :p)

best,
Janek

Re: New LilyPond contributor: Basia Mroczek

Hans Åberg-2

> On 21 Nov 2018, at 23:20, Janek Warchoł <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'd like to introduce Basia Mroczek, who's joining our team for several
> months. Basia is a graduate (is that the correct english term?) of
> Mathematics at the University of Warsaw (so, cream of the crop!) who'd like
> to steer her career more towards programming rather than math.

In case you want to combine music and math, I made a pitch model, originally intended for LilyPond, which allows for typesetting in more than the two interval generators in the traditional staff system, like for Just Intonation, Turkish, Arabic and Persian music.

Am 23.11.18 um 00:08 schrieb Janek Warchoł:

> czw., 22 lis 2018 o 00:21 Werner LEMBERG <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> napisał(a):
>
>     I suggest to start with setting up a build environment (on GNU/Linux
>     box or in a virtual GNU/Linux machine) so that changes to C++ code,
>     Scheme code, and documentation can be easily done.
>

> Yeah, we're working on that. :)
>
> czw., 22 lis 2018 o 00:29 Urs Liska <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> napisał(a):
>
>     Janek has created a set of very useful scripts.
>

> Whoah, I almost forgot them :p
> So, you're still using them?

Unfortunately not. I really used them because it's so convenient to
maintain multiple builds from different branches or commits. However,
since Guile 1.8 isn't available anymore on my systems I haven't managed
to set up a build environment anymore ...

>     Maybe this would be the
>     opportunity to adapt them so they can also be used on systems with
>     custom-compiled Guile 1.8.8?
>

> Interesting, AFAIR they're just bash scripts. Is there anything to adapt?

Yes, they are just bash scripts. And probably it's trivial to change
them but still I found them pretty confusing and didn't manage to track
it down. Essentially because your scripts made it unnecessary for me to
actually learn about the invocations.

The problem is that on (most modern Linux) systems it is necessary to
use a self-compiled version of Guile (if you're not actively
investigating support for Guile 2), and that of course it's necessary to
adjust the compilation commands.

I think it would be worth updating these scripts, at least the
build-lilypond one (I never used the script to pull in all the
dependencies because I think it makes too many assumptions. Instead it's
rather easy to do that by hand). Maybe it would be a good idea to
somehow make them available in the general LilyPond developer's toolkit?

For others to comment on the latter suggestion: Janek's build script
provides an interface where you don't build LilyPond from the actual
repository. Instead it makes a lot of sanity checks (providing some
configuration), then clones the development repository to another
directory and starts the build from there. Of course this uses
significant disk space but you have a convenient and clean interface to
manage multiple builds in parallel (you then can register them as
independent LilyPond versions in Frescobaldi, for example).

Urs

> Janek

Re: New LilyPond contributor: Basia Mroczek

Barbara Mroczek-2
Hi all,

thank you for your kind words. As Janek said, I have a background in
math, not programming (and especially not in development). I hope it'll
help me with fast learning, because I've got little experience: I've
written short bits in C++, only have seen a few uses of Python and used
Scheme for small tweaks in LilyPond.

As it comes to my interests, I'd like to experience as much as
possible, because currently I can't even say, what my interests are. I
rely on Janek for suitable choice of tasks.

I'm looking forward to upcoming collaboration,
Basia

On czw, 2018-11-22 at 00:40 +0100, Urs Liska wrote:

> Hello Basia (and Janek),
>
> Am 21.11.18 um 23:20 schrieb Janek Warchoł:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'd like to introduce Basia Mroczek, who's joining our team for
> > several
> > months. Basia is a graduate (is that the correct english term?) of
> > Mathematics at the University of Warsaw (so, cream of the crop!)
> > who'd like
> > to steer her career more towards programming rather than math.
> >
> > She's a musician (sings and plays guitar) and a LilyPond user (as
> > the
> > librarian of the choir in which I used to sing - and in which I had
> > been a
> > librarian, too!). That's quite some similarities between us ;-)
> >
> > I have invited her to join LilyPond project as an intern programmer
> > and
> > will tutor her, hoping that she will have a lot of opportunities to
> > learn
> > skills necessary for software development, gather experience - and
> > make
> > LilyPond better in the process.
> >
> > Please give her a warm welcome!
>
> Welcome to our community. It's great to see motivated new people
> coming
> around. And if you managed to get Janek to show up again we're
> additionally grateful for your appearance ;-)
>
> I'm sure Janek will (or already has started) point you to setting up
> working environment, as Werner has suggested. For us it would also
> be
> interesting to know a little bit about your programming experience
> and
> interests. The major languages used in the LilyPond context are C++
> (with strong ties to the Guile platform
> (https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/learn/)) and Guile Scheme, and
> Python both for a number of helper tools and the Frescobaldi editor.
> Your knowledge of or interest in learning these languages is
> probably
> the most determining factor for thinking about *what* you could
> start
> working on.
>
> Best wishes
> Urs
>

> > Janek

Re: New LilyPond contributor: Basia Mroczek

Barbara Mroczek
Urs,

after locally compiling LiliPond as instructed in Contributor’s Guide,
testing it with make test resulted in error and reference to log:

<path to>/lilypond/build/input/regression/lilypond-book/out-
test/suffix-lyxml.dblatex.log

I copied its content below.

Janek recommended you to ask for help. Have you met with such a problem
before? Or have you an idea, what to do about it?

Regards,
Basia

Build the book set list...
Build the listings...
XSLT stylesheets DocBook - LaTeX 2e (0.3.7-1)
Build suffix-lyxml.pdf
pdflatex failed

A possible reason for transformation failure is invalid DocBook
(as reported by xmllint)

Error: pdflatex compilation failed

On czw, 2018-11-22 at 00:29 +0100, Urs Liska wrote:

> Am 22.11.18 um 00:21 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
> >

> > > Please give her a warm welcome!
> > Warm welcome :-)
> >
> > I suggest to start with setting up a build environment (on
> > GNU/Linux
> > box or in a virtual GNU/Linux machine) so that changes to C++ code,
> > Scheme code, and documentation can be easily done.
>
> Janek has created a set of very useful scripts. Maybe this would be
> the
> opportunity to adapt them so they can also be used on systems with
> custom-compiled Guile 1.8.8?
>

> >      Werner

Re: New LilyPond contributor: Basia Mroczek

Federico Bruni-2

Il giorno ven 23 nov 2018 alle 15:48, Barbara Mroczek
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Urs,
>
> after locally compiling LiliPond as instructed in Contributor’s
> Guide,
> testing it with make test resulted in error and reference to log:
>
> <path to>/lilypond/build/input/regression/lilypond-book/out-
> test/suffix-lyxml.dblatex.log
>
> I copied its content below.
>
> Janek recommended you to ask for help. Have you met with such a
> problem
> before? Or have you an idea, what to do about it?
>
> Regards,
> Basia
>
> Build the book set list...
> Build the listings...
> XSLT stylesheets DocBook - LaTeX 2e (0.3.7-1)
> Build suffix-lyxml.pdf
> pdflatex failed
>
> A possible reason for transformation failure is invalid DocBook
> (as reported by xmllint)
>
> Error: pdflatex compilation failed

Can you attach the log file?

Where are you trying to build? LilyDev? Your own Linux machine?

Re: New LilyPond contributor: Basia Mroczek

Barbara Mroczek
I'm building locally, on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Log attached.

suffix-lyxml.dblatex.log (430 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: New LilyPond contributor: Basia Mroczek

Carl Sorensen-3
I recommend that you start by building on LilyDev, rather than on your own system.  You can set up LilyDev in a VM, and make sure that all goes well.  Then, if you still want to, you can try to get it building on your own system.

Personally, I gave up trying to keep lilypond building on my system and just use LilyDev for my development.

Carl

Re: New LilyPond contributor: Basia Mroczek

benko.pal
Ubuntu 16.04 should be OK, I use that too.  Though it's a loooong time
I tried a make check.

Am 23.11.18 um 19:29 schrieb Benkő Pál:
> Ubuntu 16.04 should be OK, I use that too.  Though it's a loooong time
> I tried a make check.

Ubuntu 16.04 still has guile-1.8 in its repositories, so on that system
it should be smooth to get things to run.

What I did back then was go through all the dependencies I found in this
script
https://github.com/jan-warchol/cli-tools/blob/master/lilypond/grab-lily-sources.sh
and installed them manually. Then adding the necessary paths and
shortcuts to ~/.bashrc (basically the stuff listed here:
https://github.com/jan-warchol/cli-tools/blob/master/lilypond/grab-lily-sources.sh#L178-L203).
After that I could immediately use
https://github.com/jan-warchol/cli-tools/blob/master/lilypond/build-lily.sh

I also was told then to use LilyDev, but as long as Guile 1.8 is
available on the distro it should be OK to use a regular Linux installation.

Best
Urs

> Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. nov. 23., P, 19:10):
>> I recommend that you start by building on LilyDev, rather than on your own system.  You can set up LilyDev in a VM, and make sure that all goes well.  Then, if you still want to, you can try to get it building on your own system.
>>
>> Personally, I gave up trying to keep lilypond building on my system and just use LilyDev for my development.
>>
>> Carl

12