NR 1.7.2 - snippet "Analysis brackets with labels"

NR 1.7.2 - snippet "Analysis brackets with labels"

Federico Bruni-2
Can you please clarify the last sentence of this snippet:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/outside-the-staff.html#analysis-brackets

\layout {
  \context {
    \Voice
    \consists "Horizontal_bracket_engraver"
    \override HorizontalBracket.direction = #UP

  \once\override HorizontalBracketText.text = "a"
  c''\startGroup d''\stopGroup
  \once\override HorizontalBracketText.text = "a'"
  e''\startGroup d''\stopGroup
  c''
  -\tweak text \markup \bold \huge "b" \startGroup
  -\tweak text "a" \startGroup
  d''\stopGroup
  e''-\tweak text "a'" \startGroup
  d''\stopGroup\stopGroup
  c''-\tweak text foo \startGroup d'' e'' f''
  \break
  g'' a'' b'' c'''\stopGroup
}

"""
 Analysis brackets with labels

Text may be added to analysis brackets through the text property of the
HorizontalBracketText grob. Adding different texts to brackets
beginning at the same time requires the \tweak command. Bracket text
will be parenthesized after a line break.
"""

Bracket text will be parenthesized after a line break.

It cannot simply mean that HorizontalBracketText can break a line (the
parenthesis will be closed after the line break). So what else is
trying to say?

Another question: why the markups added using "\tweak text" are not
printed? (bars 2, 3 and 4)

Thanks in advance
Federico

Re: NR 1.7.2 - snippet "Analysis brackets with labels"

David Nalesnik
On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 10:42 AM, Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can you please clarify the last sentence of this snippet:
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/outside-the-staff.html#analysis-brackets
>

> \layout {
>  \context {
>    \Voice
>    \consists "Horizontal_bracket_engraver"
>    \override HorizontalBracket.direction = #UP
>  }
> }
>
> {
>  \once\override HorizontalBracketText.text = "a"
>  c''\startGroup d''\stopGroup
>  \once\override HorizontalBracketText.text = "a'"
>  e''\startGroup d''\stopGroup
>  c''
>  -\tweak text \markup \bold \huge "b" \startGroup
>  -\tweak text "a" \startGroup
>  d''\stopGroup
>  e''-\tweak text "a'" \startGroup
>  d''\stopGroup\stopGroup
>  c''-\tweak text foo \startGroup d'' e'' f''
>  \break
>  g'' a'' b'' c'''\stopGroup
> }
>

> """
> Analysis brackets with labels
>
> Text may be added to analysis brackets through the text property of the
> HorizontalBracketText grob. Adding different texts to brackets beginning at
> the same time requires the \tweak command. Bracket text will be
> parenthesized after a line break.
> """
>
> Bracket text will be parenthesized after a line break.
>
> It cannot simply mean that HorizontalBracketText can break a line (the
> parenthesis will be closed after the line break). So what else is trying to
> say?

Forgive the bad ASCII art:

/-------------- a ----------

--------------- (a) -------------\

> Another question: why the markups added using "\tweak text" are not printed?
> (bars 2, 3 and 4)

A change was introduced after the docs were written: you have to write
\tweak HorizontalBracketText.text for this to work.

The snippet you're seeing was fixed, but scripts/auxiliar/makelsr.py
needs to be run for the changes to show up in the documentation.

So nothing you need to worry about!

-David

Re: NR 1.7.2 - snippet "Analysis brackets with labels"

Federico Bruni-2

Il giorno mer 7 giu 2017 alle 17:53, David Nalesnik
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 10:42 AM, Federico Bruni <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>>  Another question: why the markups added using "\tweak text" are not
>> printed?
>>  (bars 2, 3 and 4)
>>

> A change was introduced after the docs were written: you have to write
> \tweak HorizontalBracketText.text for this to work.
>
> The snippet you're seeing was fixed, but scripts/auxiliar/makelsr.py
> needs to be run for the changes to show up in the documentation.

Ah, ok, now I see the parenthesized text!
Thanks