NR 1.4.1: printing-a-repeat-sign-at-the-beginning-of-a-piece.ly is obsolete since 2.18?

NR 1.4.1: printing-a-repeat-sign-at-the-beginning-of-a-piece.ly is obsolete since 2.18?

fedelogy
If you comment the code in this snippet the result is the same:

\version "2.18.0"

\relative c'' {
%{  \once \override Score.BreakAlignment.break-align-orders =
    #(make-vector 3 '(instrument-name
                      left-edge
                      ambitus
                      breathing-sign
                      clef
                      key-signature
                      time-signature
                      staff-bar
                      custos))
  \once \override Staff.TimeSignature.space-alist =
    #'((first-note . (fixed-space . 2.0))
       (right-edge . (extra-space . 0.5))
       ;; free up some space between time signature
       ;; and repeat bar line
       (staff-bar . (extra-space . 1)))
%}
  \bar ".|:"
  c1
  d1
  d4 e f g
}

Should  it be removed from the documentation?

Re: NR 1.4.1: printing-a-repeat-sign-at-the-beginning-of-a-piece.ly is obsolete since 2.18?

Eluze
Federico Bruni-5 wrote
[...]

I think in real music most often the first (opening) repeat bar is omitted in the 1st measure.

other opinions?

Eluze

Il 10/gen/2014 16:41 "Eluze" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Federico Bruni-5 wrote
> > If you comment the code in this snippet the result is the same:
> >
> > \version "2.18.0"
> >
> > \relative c'' {
> > %{  \once \override Score.BreakAlignment.break-align-orders =
> >     #(make-vector 3 '(instrument-name
> >                       left-edge
> >                       ambitus
> >                       breathing-sign
> >                       clef
> >                       key-signature
> >                       time-signature
> >                       staff-bar
> >                       custos))
> >   \once \override Staff.TimeSignature.space-alist =
> >     #'((first-note . (fixed-space . 2.0))
> >        (right-edge . (extra-space . 0.5))
> >        ;; free up some space between time signature
> >        ;; and repeat bar line
> >        (staff-bar . (extra-space . 1)))
> > %}
> >   \bar ".|:"
> >   c1
> >   d1
> >   d4 e f g
> > }
> >
> > Should  it be removed from the documentation?
>
> I think in real music most often the first (opening) repeat bar is omitted
> in the 1st measure.
>
> other opinions?

???
It's the default in lilypond and the reason why this snippet was added. In
2.16 the overrides were needed to print the opening bar; in 2.18 it is no
longer needed, so this snippet should be removed from 2.18 doc.

Re: NR 1.4.1: printing-a-repeat-sign-at-the-beginning-of-a-piece.ly is obsolete since 2.18?

Eluze
Federico Bruni-5 wrote
???
It's the default in lilypond and the reason why this snippet was added. In
2.16 the overrides were needed to print the opening bar; in 2.18 it is no
longer needed, so this snippet should be removed from 2.18 doc.
yep - you're  right and I was a little confused when I wrote this

now this snippet is part of the documentation where - as you say - it should be removed.

but what about the LSR snippet? should we add how to make a common or dashed bar line to show in the first measure (or delete the snippet as well)?

Eluze

Re: NR 1.4.1: printing-a-repeat-sign-at-the-beginning-of-a-piece.lyis obsolete since 2.18?

Phil Holmes
"Eluze" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Federico Bruni-5 wrote
>> ???
>> It's the default in lilypond and the reason why this snippet was added.
>> In
>> 2.16 the overrides were needed to print the opening bar; in 2.18 it is no
>> longer needed, so this snippet should be removed from 2.18 doc.
>
> yep - you're  right and I was a little confused when I wrote this
>
> now this snippet is part of the documentation where - as you say - it
> should
> be removed.
>
> but what about the LSR snippet? should we add how to make a common or
> dashed
> bar line to show in the first measure (or delete the snippet as well)?
>
> Eluze

The removal of the snippet is worth an issue.

The updating/removal of the snippet - which do people think is better?

--
Phil Holmes

Re: NR 1.4.1: printing-a-repeat-sign-at-the-beginning-of-a-piece.lyis obsolete since 2.18?

Eluze
Phil Holmes-2 wrote
The removal of the snippet is worth an issue.

The updating/removal of the snippet - which do people think is better?
imo it's worth to mention that you can force the opening repeat bracket to show.

another topic is the behavior of rehearsal marks with the first bar line to print:

with an explicit \bar "..." the rehearsal mark is placed right above this bar - without it seems attached to the clef (which looks ugly)!

repeatBarAtbeginningNew.ly

should we discuss if an empty bar should be inserted automatically?

Eluze

Re: NR 1.4.1: printing-a-repeat-sign-at-the-beginning-of-a-piece.lyis obsolete since 2.18?

fedelogy
I've added the issue:

we'd better continue the discussion there

2014/1/11 Eluze <[hidden email]>

> another topic is the behavior of rehearsal marks with the first bar line to
> print:
>
> with an explicit \bar "..." the rehearsal mark is placed right above this
> bar - without it seems attached to the clef (which looks ugly)!
>
> repeatBarAtbeginningNew.ly
> <
> http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n157608/repeatBarAtbeginningNew.ly
> >

> <
> http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n157608/repeatBarAtbeginningNew.png
> >

> should we discuss if an empty bar should be inserted automatically?

yes, this is a different topic
I agree that the third line in your example looks ugly

I think it's https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1150