Music fragments with Lilypond?

Edwin Vane
Hi,

I've been playing with Lilypond since about yesterday so I'm pretty new.
I need a few figures for my thesis and the pdf output of lilypond on mac
os x is pretty nifty. Except I can't coax it into just giving me a pdf
of the music itself. I always get empty space as if it were trying to
fill the page. Is there any way to tell Lilypond to generate just the
music fragment and nothing else?

My current work around is to use lilypond-book on a test tex file. Once
it generates the eps files, I manually turn them into pdf to include in
my thesis. I was hoping for a better way.

--

Edwin Vane
   MMath Candidate

Re: Music fragments with Lilypond?

Maurits Lamers-2
Why not writing your complete thesis in Tex ?
I used LyX as an editor and that worked as a dream...

greets

Maurits

On 28-okt-05, at 17:50, Edwin Vane wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been playing with Lilypond since about yesterday so I'm pretty
> new.
> I need a few figures for my thesis and the pdf output of lilypond on
> mac
> os x is pretty nifty. Except I can't coax it into just giving me a pdf
> of the music itself. I always get empty space as if it were trying to
> fill the page. Is there any way to tell Lilypond to generate just the
> music fragment and nothing else?
>
> My current work around is to use lilypond-book on a test tex file. Once
> it generates the eps files, I manually turn them into pdf to include in
> my thesis. I was hoping for a better way.
>
> --
>
> Edwin Vane
>    MMath Candidate
>    Computer Graphics Lab
>    School of Computer Science
>    University of Waterloo

Re: Music fragments with Lilypond?

John Wiedenhoeft
I'm not sure this exists for mac as well, but on linux you could use
pdfcrop to cut the white areas away. I think there must be a source of
that program somewhere (it's command line based, pretty simple, but
pretty effective). Be sure you include

\header{
copyright = ""
tagline = ""}

in your file since otherwise pdfcrop will keep the space between the
music fragment and the bottom line.

Best regards,
John

P.S. There could be some spacing problems. I posted on that some days
ago, but unfortunately didn't get a reply...

Edwin Vane wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been playing with Lilypond since about yesterday so I'm pretty new.
> I need a few figures for my thesis and the pdf output of lilypond on mac
> os x is pretty nifty. Except I can't coax it into just giving me a pdf
> of the music itself. I always get empty space as if it were trying to
> fill the page. Is there any way to tell Lilypond to generate just the
> music fragment and nothing else?
>
> My current work around is to use lilypond-book on a test tex file. Once
> it generates the eps files, I manually turn them into pdf to include in
> my thesis. I was hoping for a better way.

Re: Music fragments with Lilypond?

andrea valle
Of course, with Preview on Mac OSX one can crop pdf.
(Moreover, Preview is scriptable, but I've never used apple script)

-a-

On 28 Oct 2005, at 22:30, John Wiedenhoeft wrote:

> I'm not sure this exists for mac as well, but on linux you could use
> pdfcrop to cut the white areas away. I think there must be a source of
> that program somewhere (it's command line based, pretty simple, but
> pretty effective). Be sure you include
>
> \header{
> copyright = ""
> tagline = ""}
>
> in your file since otherwise pdfcrop will keep the space between the
> music fragment and the bottom line.
>
> Best regards,
> John
>
> P.S. There could be some spacing problems. I posted on that some days
> ago, but unfortunately didn't get a reply...
>

> Edwin Vane wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I've been playing with Lilypond since about yesterday so I'm pretty
>> new.
>> I need a few figures for my thesis and the pdf output of lilypond on
>> mac
>> os x is pretty nifty. Except I can't coax it into just giving me a pdf
>> of the music itself. I always get empty space as if it were trying to
>> fill the page. Is there any way to tell Lilypond to generate just the
>> music fragment and nothing else?
>> My current work around is to use lilypond-book on a test tex file.
>> Once
>> it generates the eps files, I manually turn them into pdf to include
>> in
>> my thesis. I was hoping for a better way.

Andrea Valle
DAMS - Facoltà di Scienze della Formazione
Università degli Studi di Torino