Multiple rest and system break

Menu Jacques
Hello folks,

This beats me : in the following snippet, why is there a break after ‘R1*2’ ? There seems to be plenty of room to put everything on a single line…?

Thanks for your help!

JM

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19"

P_POne_Staff_One_Voice_One = \relative {
  \compressMMRests

  R1*2 |
  R1   |
  r2 r4 r8 r16 r32 r64 r128 r128 |
  \bar "|."

      \new Staff <<
        \context Voice = "P_POne_Staff_One_Voice_One" <<
          \P_POne_Staff_One_Voice_One

  \layout {
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Re: Multiple rest and system break

Phil Holmes
> This beats me : in the following snippet, why is there a break after ‘R1*2’
> ? There seems to be plenty of room to put everything on a single line…?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> JM

No idea, I'm afraid.  It's been like it since 2.12, though.  Can be fixed
with a \noBreak, of course.

--
Phil Holmes

Re: Multiple rest and system break

Menu Jacques
Thanks Phil.

This seems to happen when there are R’s in sequence.

P_POne_Staff_One_Voice_One = \relative {
  \compressMMRests

  R1 |
  R1   |
  r2 r4 r8 r16 r32 r64 r128 r128 |
  \bar "|."
}

has the same problem, but:

P_POne_Staff_One_Voice_One = \relative {
  \compressMMRests

  R1 |
  r1   |
  r2 r4 r8 r16 r32 r64 r128 r128 |
  \bar "|."
}

is fine.

JM

> Le 16 juin 2017 à 14:25, Phil Holmes <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Menu Jacques" <[hidden email]>

Trevor Daniels

Menu Jacques wrote Friday, June 16, 2017 11:39 AM

> This beats me : in the following snippet, why is there a break after ‘R1*2’ ? There seems to be plenty of room to put everything on a single line…?

> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> \version "2.19"
>
> P_POne_Staff_One_Voice_One = \relative {
>  \compressMMRests
>
>  R1*2 |
>  R1   |
>  r2 r4 r8 r16 r32 r64 r128 r128 |
>  \bar "|."
> }
>
> \score {
>  <<
>      \new Staff <<
>        \context Voice = "P_POne_Staff_One_Voice_One" <<
>          \P_POne_Staff_One_Voice_One
>        >>
>      >>
>  >>
>
>  \layout {
>  }
> }
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

It's nothing to do with \compressMMRests.  This behaves the same:

P_POne_Staff_One_Voice_One = \relative {
  R1*2
  r2 r4 r8 r16 r32 r64 r64 |
}

Rather it is to do with mixing very long and very short notes in the same
spacing section.

This behaves correctly:

P_POne_Staff_One_Voice_One = \relative {
  R1*2
  \newSpacingSection
  r2 r4 r8 r16 r32 r64 r64 |
}

See http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/new-spacing-section

Trevor

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: Multiple rest and system break

Menu Jacques
Hello Trevor,

Thanks, I had never used \newSpacingSection.

JM