Multi column page setup

Hanns Holger Rutz
hello,

how can I set up lilypond to use a multiple column page layout. I have very short independent scores, and I would like to arrange them in four example four columns next to each other. It doesn't matter whether the grid goes left-to-right then top-to-bottom or the other way round.

thanks, ..h.h..

Re: Multi column page setup

Urs Liska-4
If you don't find a lilypond-wise solution (which I'm afraid) yo'll probably have to define a 1/16th paper size with suitably small margins and use an external tool (suggestions depending on your OS and output format) to arrange them on the full paper.

HTH
Urs

Hanns Holger Rutz <[hidden email]> schrieb:
hello,

how can I set up lilypond to use a multiple column page layout. I have very short independent scores, and I would like to arrange them in four example four columns next to each other. It doesn't matter whether the grid goes left-to-right then top-to-bottom or the other way round.

thanks, ..h.h..

Re: Multi column page setup

Phil Hézaine
Le 04/04/2013 15:25, Urs Liska a écrit :

> If you don't find a lilypond-wise solution (which I'm afraid) yo'll probably have to define a 1/16th paper size with suitably small margins and use an external tool (suggestions depending on your OS and output format) to arrange them on the full paper.
>
> HTH
> Urs
>

> Hanns Holger Rutz <[hidden email]> schrieb:
>
>> hello,
>>
>> how can I set up lilypond to use a multiple column page layout. I have
>> very short independent scores, and I would like to arrange them in four
>> example four columns next to each other. It doesn't matter whether the
>> grid goes left-to-right then top-to-bottom or the other way round.
>>
>> thanks, ..h.h..
Hi,
I don't know if it helps but I have found the ly file attached in my
archives. Don't know the author.
Phil.

grid_of_mini_scores.ly (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Multi column page setup

Marek Klein
Hello

2013/4/4 Hanns Holger Rutz <[hidden email]>
how can I set up lilypond to use a multiple column page layout. I have very short independent scores, and I would like to arrange them in four example four columns next to each other. It doesn't matter whether the grid goes left-to-right then top-to-bottom or the other way round.

You can place \score in \markup, so you can have columns too.
HTH

Marek Klein
http://gregoriana.sk
Gregoriana on youtube

Re: Multi column page setup

Hanns Holger Rutz

On 4 Apr 2013, at 15:46, Phil Hézaine wrote:

> Le 04/04/2013 15:25, Urs Liska a écrit :
>> If you don't find a lilypond-wise solution (which I'm afraid) yo'll probably have to define a 1/16th paper size with suitably small margins and use an external tool (suggestions depending on your OS and output format) to arrange them on the full paper.
>>
>> HTH
>> Urs
>>

>> Hanns Holger Rutz <[hidden email]> schrieb:
>>
>>> hello,
>>>
>>> how can I set up lilypond to use a multiple column page layout. I have
>>> very short independent scores, and I would like to arrange them in four
>>> example four columns next to each other. It doesn't matter whether the
>>> grid goes left-to-right then top-to-bottom or the other way round.
>>>
>>> thanks, ..h.h..
>
> Hi,
> I don't know if it helps but I have found the ly file attached in my archives. Don't know the author.
> Phil.

that looks very helpful, indeed, thanks!

Re: Multi column page setup

Hanns Holger Rutz
ok, great! (I think that's what grid_of_mini_scores.ly is actually doing)

On 4 Apr 2013, at 16:12, Marek Klein wrote:

> Hello
>
> 2013/4/4 Hanns Holger Rutz <[hidden email]>
> how can I set up lilypond to use a multiple column page layout. I have very short independent scores, and I would like to arrange them in four example four columns next to each other. It doesn't matter whether the grid goes left-to-right then top-to-bottom or the other way round.
>
> You can place \score in \markup, so you can have columns too.
> See also:
> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=464
>
> HTH
>
> Marek Klein
> 0918 610 720
> http://gregoriana.sk
> Gregoriana on youtube

Re: Multi column page setup

Orm Finnendahl-3
Hi Hanns Holger,

 below is a minimal example (with a layout block for each column for
illustration how to specify different layout settings for each
column). You can extend it to as many columns you want. There is a
major drawback though: You can't have lilypond figure out page
breaking as the music in any column can't be broken into many
pages. Working this way is more like explicitely stating which music
goes on which page by using one \book block per page.

--
Orm

\version "2.16.2"

\book {
  \markup {
    \null
    \score {
      \new Staff {
       c1 d e f\break
       a1 b c d\break
      }
      \layout {
         indent = #0
         line-width = #50
         \context {
           \Score
           \override NonMusicalPaperColumn #'page-break-permission = ##f
    \null
    \score {
      \new Staff
      {
        f1 e d c\break
        b a b c\break
      }
      \layout {
         indent = #0
         line-width = #50
    \null

Am Donnerstag, den 04. April 2013 um 16:15:46 Uhr (+0200) schrieb Hanns Holger Rutz:

> ok, great! (I think that's what grid_of_mini_scores.ly is actually doing)
>
> On 4 Apr 2013, at 16:12, Marek Klein wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > 2013/4/4 Hanns Holger Rutz <[hidden email]>
> > how can I set up lilypond to use a multiple column page layout. I have very short independent scores, and I would like to arrange them in four example four columns next to each other. It doesn't matter whether the grid goes left-to-right then top-to-bottom or the other way round.
> >
> > You can place \score in \markup, so you can have columns too.
> > See also:
> > http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=464
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Marek Klein
> > 0918 610 720
> > http://gregoriana.sk
> > Gregoriana on youtube

Re: Multi column page setup

Hanns Holger Rutz
thanks, Orm, this looks straight forward. I'm generating the score fragments, so adding explicit breaks is no problem.

.h.h.

On 4 Apr 2013, at 17:52, Orm Finnendahl wrote:

> Hi Hanns Holger,
>
> below is a minimal example (with a layout block for each column for
> illustration how to specify different layout settings for each
> column). You can extend it to as many columns you want. There is a
> major drawback though: You can't have lilypond figure out page
> breaking as the music in any column can't be broken into many
> pages. Working this way is more like explicitely stating which music
> goes on which page by using one \book block per page.
>
> --
> Orm
>
> \version "2.16.2"
>
> \book {
>  \markup {
>    \null
>    \score {
>      \new Staff {
>       c1 d e f\break
>       a1 b c d\break
>      }
>      \layout {
> indent = #0
> line-width = #50
> \context {
>   \Score
>   \override NonMusicalPaperColumn #'page-break-permission = ##f
> }
>       }
>    }
>    \null
>    \score {
>      \new Staff
>      {
> f1 e d c\break
>        b a b c\break
>      }
>      \layout {
> indent = #0
> line-width = #50
>       }
>    }
>    \null
>  }
> }
>

> Am Donnerstag, den 04. April 2013 um 16:15:46 Uhr (+0200) schrieb Hanns Holger Rutz:
>> ok, great! (I think that's what grid_of_mini_scores.ly is actually doing)
>>
>> On 4 Apr 2013, at 16:12, Marek Klein wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> 2013/4/4 Hanns Holger Rutz <[hidden email]>
>>> how can I set up lilypond to use a multiple column page layout. I have very short independent scores, and I would like to arrange them in four example four columns next to each other. It doesn't matter whether the grid goes left-to-right then top-to-bottom or the other way round.
>>>
>>> You can place \score in \markup, so you can have columns too.
>>> See also:
>>> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=464
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Marek Klein
>>> 0918 610 720
>>> http://gregoriana.sk
>>> Gregoriana on youtube

Re: Multi column page setup

Nick Payne-3
On 04/04/13 23:59, Hanns Holger Rutz wrote:
> hello,
>
> how can I set up lilypond to use a multiple column page layout. I have very short independent scores, and I would like to arrange them in four example four columns next to each other. It doesn't matter whether the grid goes left-to-right then top-to-bottom or the other way round.

I've done this in the past with Scribus. You can embed Lilypond code
directly into render frames in a Scribus document. I've attached a test
two column Scribus document that I created when I was trialling this
that contains a couple of render frames with Lilypond code. It was
created with Scribus 1.4.

Nick

test.sla (27K) Download Attachment

Re: Multi column page setup

Eluze
Orm Finnendahl-3 wrote
Hi Hanns Holger,

 below is a minimal example (with a layout block for each column for
illustration how to specify different layout settings for each
column). You can extend it to as many columns you want. There is a
major drawback though: You can't have lilypond figure out page
breaking as the music in any column can't be broken into many
pages. Working this way is more like explicitely stating which music
goes on which page by using one \book block per page.
that's fabulous!
don't know why I always thought you can only produce one line/system with \markup \score …

thanks for showing this feature!

Eluze

Re: Multi column page setup

David Kastrup
Eluze <[hidden email]> writes:

> Orm Finnendahl-3 wrote
>> Hi Hanns Holger,
>>
>>  below is a minimal example (with a layout block for each column for
>> illustration how to specify different layout settings for each
>> column). You can extend it to as many columns you want. There is a
>> major drawback though: You can't have lilypond figure out page
>> breaking as the music in any column can't be broken into many
>> pages. Working this way is more like explicitely stating which music
>> goes on which page by using one \book block per page.
>
> that's fabulous!
> don't know why I always thought you can only produce one line/system with
> \markup \score …

Regarding the "you can't have LilyPond figure out page breaking" angle:
maybe <URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1334> is a
suitable building block for that.

Re: Multi column page setup

Eluze <[hidden email]> writes:

> Orm Finnendahl-3 wrote
>> Hi Hanns Holger,
>>
>>  below is a minimal example (with a layout block for each column for
>> illustration how to specify different layout settings for each
>> column). You can extend it to as many columns you want. There is a
>> major drawback though: You can't have lilypond figure out page
>> breaking as the music in any column can't be broken into many
>> pages. Working this way is more like explicitely stating which music
>> goes on which page by using one \book block per page.
>
> that's fabulous!
> don't know why I always thought you can only produce one line/system with
> \markup \score …

2.13.7:

commit dff80dee029901d55101cb7991ee53f03ab06efa
Author: Neil Puttock <[hidden email]>
Date:   Sun Nov 1 23:22:25 2009 +0000

    Typeset all systems when inlining a score using \markup \score.

    Use baseline-skip to set space between systems.

Re: Multi column page setup

Thomas Morley
2013/4/4 David Kastrup <[hidden email]>:

> Regarding the "you can't have LilyPond figure out page breaking" angle:
> maybe <URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1334> is a
> suitable building block for that.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

\markup \score { ... }  now _can_ handle pageBreak, though, if you try
(with appropriate settings of line-width)
\markup \line { \score { ... } \score { ... }  }
it fails again.
Found no way around.

2013/4/4 David Kastrup <[hidden email]>:

> Eluze <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Orm Finnendahl-3 wrote
>>> Hi Hanns Holger,
>>>
>>>  below is a minimal example (with a layout block for each column for
>>> illustration how to specify different layout settings for each
>>> column). You can extend it to as many columns you want. There is a
>>> major drawback though: You can't have lilypond figure out page
>>> breaking as the music in any column can't be broken into many
>>> pages. Working this way is more like explicitely stating which music
>>> goes on which page by using one \book block per page.
>>
>> that's fabulous!
>> don't know why I always thought you can only produce one line/system with
>> \markup \score …
>
> 2.13.7:
>
> commit dff80dee029901d55101cb7991ee53f03ab06efa
> Author: Neil Puttock <[hidden email]>
> Date:   Sun Nov 1 23:22:25 2009 +0000
>
>     Typeset all systems when inlining a score using \markup \score.
>
>     Use baseline-skip to set space between systems.

If you try Orm's example with \transpose c c'' for the second \score
you'll notice that the StaffSymbols aren't aligned anymore, same if I
try the "2.17.15"-commands.
baseline-skip doesn't help, afaics.
It would be great if I could set system-system-spacing. Though I found
no way to do so within a \score in \markup.

Below my own approach _abusing_ \score ;)

\version "2.17.15"

music =
  \new Staff
    \relative c'' {
      c,,,1
      \noBreak

      \time 3/4
      \key d\major
      cis''2.

      \repeat unfold 6 {
        \time 2/4
        \key bes\minor
        dis8 e f fis
        \break

        \time 4/4
        \key d\major
        cis1
        \break

        \time 3/4
        \key a\major
        a4. cis8 e4
        \break
      }
      \time 3/4
      \key a\major
      a4. cis8 e4
  }

myLayout =
  \layout {
    line-width = 40
    indent = 0
    ragged-last = ##f
    %ragged-right = ##f
    \context {
      \Score
      \override BarNumber #'stencil = ##f
      fontSize = -3
    }
    \context {
      \Staff
      \override KeySignature #'break-visibility = ##(#f #t #t)
      explicitKeySignatureVisibility = ##(#f #t #t)
      \override TimeSignature #'break-visibility = ##(#f #t #t)
      \override KeyCancellation #'break-visibility = ##(#f #f #f)
      \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep -3)

\markup {
  \fill-line {
    \override #'(baseline-skip . 7)
    \column {
      \override-lines #'(word-space . 3)
      \wordwrap-lines
        \score {
          \music
          \layout { \myLayout }

  Harm

Re: Multi column page setup

David Kastrup
Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> writes:

> 2013/4/4 David Kastrup <[hidden email]>:
>

>> Regarding the "you can't have LilyPond figure out page breaking" angle:
>> maybe <URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1334> is a
>> suitable building block for that.
>>
>> --
>> David Kastrup
>
> \markup \score { ... }  now _can_ handle pageBreak, though, if you try
> (with appropriate settings of line-width)
> \markup \line { \score { ... } \score { ... }  }
> it fails again.
> Found no way around.

\score must be used in a place where _only_ markup lists are allowed to
be a markup list rather than a single markup.  So something like
\column-lines \score

Re: Multi column page setup

Thomas Morley
2013/4/5 David Kastrup <[hidden email]>:

> Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> 2013/4/4 David Kastrup <[hidden email]>:
>>

>>> Regarding the "you can't have LilyPond figure out page breaking" angle:
>>> maybe <URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1334> is a
>>> suitable building block for that.
>>>
>>> --
>>> David Kastrup
>>
>> \markup \score { ... }  now _can_ handle pageBreak, though, if you try
>> (with appropriate settings of line-width)
>> \markup \line { \score { ... } \score { ... }  }
>> it fails again.
>> Found no way around.
>
> \score must be used in a place where _only_ markup lists are allowed to
> be a markup list rather than a single markup.  So something like
> \column-lines \score
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Couldn't figure it out.
\markuplist \column-lines { \score { ... } \score { ... } } places the
two scores vertically on top of each other not horizontal side by
side.

Btw, there's no example for \column-lines in the docs.
Well,  there's
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=394
dealing two lists, printing them in two columns.
Though, in this snippet every line is "prepared" by a custom-markup-command.

-Harm

Re: Multi column page setup

Thomas Morley
2013/4/5 Thomas Morley <[hidden email]>:

> 2013/4/5 David Kastrup <[hidden email]>:
>> Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> writes:

>>> \markup \score { ... }  now _can_ handle pageBreak, though, if you try
>>> (with appropriate settings of line-width)
>>> \markup \line { \score { ... } \score { ... }  }
>>> it fails again.
>>> Found no way around.
>>
>> \score must be used in a place where _only_ markup lists are allowed to
>> be a markup list rather than a single markup.  So something like
>> \column-lines \score
>>
>> --
>> David Kastrup
>
> Couldn't figure it out.
> \markuplist \column-lines { \score { ... } \score { ... } } places the
> two scores vertically on top of each other

(forgot to add:)
and without pageBreak

> not horizontal side by
> side.
>
> Btw, there's no example for \column-lines in the docs.
> Well,  there's
> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=394
> dealing two lists, printing them in two columns.
> Though, in this snippet every line is "prepared" by a custom-markup-command.
>
> -Harm

Re: Multi column page setup

Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> writes:

> 2013/4/5 David Kastrup <[hidden email]>:
>> Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> writes:

>>> \markup \score { ... }  now _can_ handle pageBreak, though, if you try
>>> (with appropriate settings of line-width)
>>> \markup \line { \score { ... } \score { ... }  }
>>> it fails again.
>>> Found no way around.
>>
>> \score must be used in a place where _only_ markup lists are allowed to
>> be a markup list rather than a single markup.  So something like
>> \column-lines \score
>
> Couldn't figure it out.
> \markuplist \column-lines { \score { ... } \score { ... } } places the
> two scores vertically on top of each other not horizontal side by
> side.

That's not a place where only markup lists are allowed.  Yes, the
interface is too tricky for its own good.  At any rate, I guess I don't
understand what exactly you are trying to do.  Could you try prepping
the example up with a bit of score and a description of the desired
effect?

> Btw, there's no example for \column-lines in the docs.

Spaces stuff like \column but leaves it as a markup list rather than a
single markup/stencil.  You can also use \override-lines with an
arbitrary argument.  Maybe we should have \concat-lines defined as just
#(define-markup-list-command (concat-lines layout props markups)
   (markup-list?) markups)
for that purpose ("space like concat but leave as markup list").  Or
just \lines after all.

Yes, the interface is less than fabulous.  I was trying to avoid a
separate word \score-lines, where usage
\score-lines \score { ... }
would be the same as \lines \score anyway, and where
\score-lines { ... }
would require a score to be at a place not even started with \score and
require a reserved word.

Re: Multi column page setup

Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> writes:

> 2013/4/5 Thomas Morley <[hidden email]>:

>>> \score must be used in a place where _only_ markup lists are allowed to
>>> be a markup list rather than a single markup.  So something like
>>> \column-lines \score
>>>
>>> --
>>> David Kastrup
>>
>> Couldn't figure it out.
>> \markuplist \column-lines { \score { ... } \score { ... } } places the
>> two scores vertically on top of each other
>
> (forgot to add:)
> and without pageBreak
Well, you'll still need to fiddle with alignment or whatever in order to
get the bottom right, but here is something that should at least give
you a clue:

#(define-markup-list-command (parallel layout props markups-1 markups-2)
   (markup-list? markup-list?)
   (let* ((m1 (interpret-markup-list layout props markups-1))
          (m2 (interpret-markup-list layout props markups-2))
          (l (- (length m1) (length m2))))
     (interpret-markup-list
      layout props
      (map (lambda (a b) (make-override-markup
                          '(word-space . 4)
                          (make-line-markup
                           (list
                            (make-stencil-markup a)
                            (make-stencil-markup b)))))
           (interpret-markup-list
            layout props
            (make-column-lines-markup-list
             (map make-stencil-markup
                  (if (negative? l)
                      (append m1 (make-list (- l) point-stencil))
                      m1))))
           (interpret-markup-list
            layout props
            (make-column-lines-markup-list
             (map make-stencil-markup
                  (if (positive? l)
                      (append m2 (make-list l point-stencil))

\markuplist
\parallel \score { \repeat unfold 300 c'4
                   \layout { line-width = 6\cm }
                 }
\score { \repeat unfold 500 c'2
         \layout { line-width = 8\cm }