Moving glissando ends

David Sumbler
For harp ad lib. glissandi, I am trying to produce a continuous line
which zig-zags across 2 staves.  I thought I could do this by placing
notes on alternate staves at the end of each "zig" or "zag", and then
putting glissandi between them.  Then (I thought) I could make the
notes invisible, and change parameters of the glissando lines so that
they actually go to the centre of each (invisible) notehead.

Making the notes invisible is easy enough, but try as I might, I can't
seem to make any change in the printed length of the glissandi.  I have
tried altering the 'gap' parameter and 'padding', as well as a few
other less promising items.  But nothing seems to make any difference
to the printed length of the lines, which therefore have gaps between
them.

I want each line to go to the centre of the invisible notehead, so that
I get a continuous line.  Of course, the first and last lines only want
to be full-length at one end, because there is an actual notehead at
the other.

How can I achieve this?

David

Re: Moving glissando ends

Toine Schreurs-3
> I want each line to go to the centre of the invisible notehead, so that
> I get a continuous line.  Of course, the first and last lines only want
> to be full-length at one end, because there is an actual notehead at
> the other.
>
> How can I achieve this?

for the first line:
  \override Glissando.bound-details.right.padding = #-1

for the intermediate lines:
  \override Glissando.bound-details.right.padding = #-1
  \override Glissando.bound-details.left.padding = #-1

for the last line:
  \override Glissando.bound-details.left.padding = #-1

You did not give an example, so this is not tested.

Toine Schreurs

Re: Moving glissando ends

David Sumbler

On Wed, 2020-08-26 at 19:51 +0200, Toine Schreurs wrote:

> > I want each line to go to the centre of the invisible notehead, so
> > that
> > I get a continuous line.  Of course, the first and last lines only
> > want
> > to be full-length at one end, because there is an actual notehead
> > at
> > the other.
> >
> > How can I achieve this?
>
> for the first line:
>   \override Glissando.bound-details.right.padding = #-1
>
> for the intermediate lines:
>   \override Glissando.bound-details.right.padding = #-1
>   \override Glissando.bound-details.left.padding = #-1
>
> for the last line:
>   \override Glissando.bound-details.left.padding = #-1
>
> You did not give an example, so this is not tested.
>
> Toine Schreurs

Thank you very much for that solution.

In fact, I found that setting these parameters to -1 still leaves a
small gap between successive lines.  The best value seems to be -1.4,
for some strange reason.

David

Re: Moving glissando ends

David Sumbler

On Wed, 2020-08-26 at 21:34 +0100, David Sumbler wrote:

> On Wed, 2020-08-26 at 19:51 +0200, Toine Schreurs wrote:
> > > I want each line to go to the centre of the invisible notehead,
> > > so
> > > that
> > > I get a continuous line.  Of course, the first and last lines
> > > only
> > > want
> > > to be full-length at one end, because there is an actual notehead
> > > at
> > > the other.
> > >
> > > How can I achieve this?
> >
> > for the first line:
> >   \override Glissando.bound-details.right.padding = #-1
> >
> > for the intermediate lines:
> >   \override Glissando.bound-details.right.padding = #-1
> >   \override Glissando.bound-details.left.padding = #-1
> >
> > for the last line:
> >   \override Glissando.bound-details.left.padding = #-1
> >
> > You did not give an example, so this is not tested.
> >
> > Toine Schreurs
>
> Thank you very much for that solution.
>
> In fact, I found that setting these parameters to -1 still leaves a
> small gap between successive lines.  The best value seems to be -1.4,
> for some strange reason.
>
> David

Further to the above - and in case anyone else is trying to produce
joined up glissando lines - I eventually realized that the default for
a glissando line is to point to the nearest side of the relevant
notehead, not the centre.  The parameter attach-dir is respectively 1
and -1 for the left and right ends of the glissando.  Clearly what I
want is for them to point to the note's centre, with attach-dir set to
zero.

As there are quite a number of these glissando sweeps in the work in
question, I defined the following variables to make the job easier.

glissJoinR = {
  \override Glissando.bound-details.right.attach-dir = #0
  \override Glissando.bound-details.right.padding = #0 }
glissJoinL = {
  \override Glissando.bound-details.left.attach-dir = #0
  \override Glissando.bound-details.left.padding = #0 }
glissRevertR = {
  \revert Glissando.bound-details.right.attach-dir
  \revert Glissando.bound-details.right.padding }
glissRevertL = {
  \revert Glissando.bound-details.left.attach-dir
  \revert Glissando.bound-details.left.padding }

David