More than one \book?

Art Hixson
I've wondered about this for a while.  In the following section of the
doc it says:

10.4.1 Paper size
    . . .if the \paper block is at the top of the file, then it will
apply to all pages.
    If the \paper block is inside a \book, then the paper size will only
apply to that book.

The construction here sounds as if more than one \book might be possible
although when I try it only the first book is recognized.  I can
envisage that multiple books could be useful.  Is there a way?

AH

Re: More than one book?

Mats Bengtsson-4
If you have several \book blocks in a .ly file, then you will get
one output PDF file for each \book. If the input file is called
test.ly, then the outputs will be test.pdf test-1.pdf test-2.pdf ...
if I remember correctly.

   /Mats

Quoting Art Hixson <[hidden email]>:

> I've wondered about this for a while.  In the following section of
> the doc it says:
>
> 10.4.1 Paper size
>    . . .if the \paper block is at the top of the file, then it will
> apply to all pages.
>    If the \paper block is inside a \book, then the paper size will
> only apply to that book.
>
> The construction here sounds as if more than one \book might be
> possible although when I try it only the first book is recognized.  I
> can envisage that multiple books could be useful.  Is there a way?
>
> AH

Re: More than one book?

John Wiedenhoeft
is there a way to name them specifically from inside the file? somthing
like

piano = {...}
cello = {...}
alto  = {...}

\book{
        \filename "complete_score"
        <<
                \new Staff \alto
                \new Staff \cello
                \new Staff \piano

}
\book{
        \filename "piano"
        \new Staff \piano
}

which will result in two files, complete_score.pdf and piano.pdf.