Message localization

Michael Käppler-2
Hi all,
I noticed that some program messages are localized, others are not and I
struggle to see some kind of logic begind.
The CG says:

"Do not localize/gettextify:

  * ‘programming_error ()’s
  * ‘programming_warning ()’s
  * debug strings
  * output strings (PostScript, TeX, etc.)"

Fair enough, but:

git grep '(ly:warning (_' scm | wc -l
54
git grep '(ly:warning "' scm | wc -l
25

Are there reasons for this inconsistency?

Cheers,
Michael

Re: Message localization

Dan Eble
On Oct 2, 2020, at 07:36, Michael Käppler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I noticed that some program messages are localized, others are not and I
> struggle to see some kind of logic begind.
> The CG says:
>
> "Do not localize/gettextify:
>
> * ‘programming_error ()’s
> * ‘programming_warning ()’s
> * debug strings
> * output strings (PostScript, TeX, etc.)"
>
> Fair enough, but:
>
> git grep '(ly:warning (_' scm | wc -l
> 54
> git grep '(ly:warning "' scm | wc -l
> 25
>
> Are there reasons for this inconsistency?

I think you'll find that a "warning" and a "programming_warning" are different things.

Dan

Re: Message localization

Michael Käppler-2
Am 02.10.2020 um 14:40 schrieb Dan Eble:

> On Oct 2, 2020, at 07:36, Michael Käppler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I noticed that some program messages are localized, others are not and I
>> struggle to see some kind of logic begind.
>> The CG says:
>>
>> "Do not localize/gettextify:
>>
>> * ‘programming_error ()’s
>> * ‘programming_warning ()’s
>> * debug strings
>> * output strings (PostScript, TeX, etc.)"
>>
>> Fair enough, but:
>>
>> git grep '(ly:warning (_' scm | wc -l
>> 54
>> git grep '(ly:warning "' scm | wc -l
>> 25
>>
>> Are there reasons for this inconsistency?
> I think you'll find that a "warning" and a "programming_warning" are different things.
Ok, I haven't expressed my thoughts carefully enough.
It is clear to me that a programming_warning should not be localized.
What I do not understand is, why some warnings (ly:warning)
are localized and others not.

Michael