Markups and small staves

Martín Rincón Botero
Hello again,

how can I make a markup that ignores a \magnifyStaff command? Consider:

oboe = \relative c' { c4^"markup" d e f }
oboePart = \new Staff \with {
  \magnifyStaff #5/7
} \oboe
piano = \relative c' { c4 d e f }\score {
  <<
    \oboePart
    \piano

  \layout { }
}

I know I can just make a bigger markup for the magnified staff, but that wouldn't be a practical solution in my case, since said markups are gonna be in their independent variable (tempi) to be used by both staves.

Best regards,
Martín.

Re: Markups and small staves

Xavier Scheuer
On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 at 20:10, Martín Rincón Botero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> how can I make a markup that ignores a \magnifyStaff command? Consider:
>
> oboe = \relative c' { c4^"markup" d e f }
> oboePart = \new Staff \with {
>   \magnifyStaff #5/7
> } \oboe
> piano = \relative c' { c4 d e f }\score {
>   <<
>     \oboePart
>     \piano
>   >>
>   \layout { }
> }
>
> I know I can just make a bigger markup for the magnified staff, but that wouldn't be a practical solution in my case, since said markups are gonna be in their independent variable (tempi) to be used by both staves.

Hello Martin,

I don't get it.
Your "markup" command is a TextScript object, which is engraved by the Text_engraver at the Voice level.
Voice context is contained within Staff context.
By using \magnifyStaff command you basically ask LilyPond to reduce the size of the objects of this Staff, which apply to the objects of the voice(s) contained in this Staff.

So my suggestion would be either to use a proper text mark (command \mark or \tempo), which are engraved at the Score level, which would then be "above" the Staff context and then not affected by the \magnifyStaff command, or to reset the size of the TextScripts within your smaller staff (which you dismiss). I would suggest the first solution.

Cheers,
Xavier

Xavier Scheuer <[hidden email]>

Re: Markups and small staves

Martín Rincón Botero
Hi Xavier,

thank you for your quick answer. This is all related to my messages regarding the absence of a "tempo spanner" in Lilypond, and the ways I find to circumvent that absence (namely, a simple "rit. _ _ _ _ quarter note = X" can't be natively done in Lilypond). Certainly using a \mark command would be better (also because I could make the tempo attach to the time signature, instead of messing around with \halign values), but I have no idea how to make a spanner inside a \mark (the dashed line that connects the rit. with the new tempo). Is that possible inside a \mark?

Regards,
Martín.

Am Mi., 16. Sept. 2020 um 21:16 Uhr schrieb Xavier Scheuer <[hidden email]>:
On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 at 20:10, Martín Rincón Botero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> how can I make a markup that ignores a \magnifyStaff command? Consider:
>
> oboe = \relative c' { c4^"markup" d e f }
> oboePart = \new Staff \with {
>   \magnifyStaff #5/7
> } \oboe
> piano = \relative c' { c4 d e f }\score {
>   <<
>     \oboePart
>     \piano
>   >>
>   \layout { }
> }
>
> I know I can just make a bigger markup for the magnified staff, but that wouldn't be a practical solution in my case, since said markups are gonna be in their independent variable (tempi) to be used by both staves.

Hello Martin,

I don't get it.
Your "markup" command is a TextScript object, which is engraved by the Text_engraver at the Voice level.
Voice context is contained within Staff context.
By using \magnifyStaff command you basically ask LilyPond to reduce the size of the objects of this Staff, which apply to the objects of the voice(s) contained in this Staff.

So my suggestion would be either to use a proper text mark (command \mark or \tempo), which are engraved at the Score level, which would then be "above" the Staff context and then not affected by the \magnifyStaff command, or to reset the size of the TextScripts within your smaller staff (which you dismiss). I would suggest the first solution.

Cheers,
Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <[hidden email]>

Re: Markups and small staves

Lukas-Fabian Moser

Hi Martín,

Am 16.09.20 um 20:09 schrieb Martín Rincón Botero:
how can I make a markup that ignores a \magnifyStaff command? Consider:

oboe = \relative c' { c4^"markup" d e f }
oboePart = \new Staff \with {
  \magnifyStaff #5/7
} \oboe
piano = \relative c' { c4 d e f }\score {
  <<
    \oboePart
    \piano

  \layout { }
}

I know I can just make a bigger markup for the magnified staff, but that wouldn't be a practical solution in my case, since said markups are gonna be in their independent variable (tempi) to be used by both staves.

There is \abs-fontsize, for example:

\version "2.21.6"

oboe = \relative c' { c4^\markup { \abs-fontsize #12 "markup" } d e f }
oboePart = \new Staff \with {
  \magnifyStaff #5/7
} \oboe
piano = \relative c' { c4^\markup { \abs-fontsize #12 "markup" }  d e f }\score {
  <<
    \oboePart
    \piano

  \layout { }