Markup vertical alignment

Phil Holmes-3
Have a look at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/notation/formatting-text#text-alignment -
the bit starting "Vertical alignment is a bit more complex".  It says "the
element to be moved needs to be preceded with an anchor point".   Well - the
positioning of une foret shows clearly that it doesn't.  Trawling through my
collection of Lilypond executable, it look like it changed between 2.17.26
and .28.

I've not grasped the current process well enough to do a patch for review,
but this looks trivial enough for a simple push/merge request.  Could
someone oblige?

--
Phil Holmes

Re: Markup vertical alignment

Phil Holmes
> the bit starting "Vertical alignment is a bit more complex".  It says "the
> element to be moved needs to be preceded with an anchor point".   Well -
> the positioning of une foret shows clearly that it doesn't.  Trawling
> through my collection of Lilypond executable, it look like it changed
> between 2.17.26 and .28.
>
> I've not grasped the current process well enough to do a patch for review,
> but this looks trivial enough for a simple push/merge request.  Could
> someone oblige?
>
> --
> Phil Holmes

The same is true of the next section on horizontal and vertical alignment.

--
Phil Holmes

Re: Markup vertical alignment

Valentin Villenave-3
On 5/20/20, Phil Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Could someone oblige?

Happy to:
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/67

I also took the opportunity of addressing a comment I left when
writing NR 1.8 more than a dozen years ago, about \hspace and \vspace
(the latter of which was not even officially included back then). Talk
about a blast from the past…

Cheers,
-- V.

Re: Markup vertical alignment

David Kastrup
Valentin Villenave <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 5/20/20, Phil Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Could someone oblige?
>
> Happy to:
> https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/67
>
> I also took the opportunity of addressing a comment I left when
> writing NR 1.8 more than a dozen years ago, about \hspace and \vspace
> (the latter of which was not even officially included back then). Talk
> about a blast from the past…

\hspace and \vspace have changed since then in that they have empty
height and width, respectively (not even including a single point).  And
the spacing engine takes that as a clue not to add additional normal
separation space (interword, linespace).

So they usually take up less space than previously and are more
convenient.

\markup { word \hspace #0 space }

now is the same visually as

\markup { word space }

when it used to add wordspace twice, once before \hspace #0 and once
behind it.

Re: Markup vertical alignment

Valentin Villenave-3
On 5/20/20, Phil Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The same is true of the next section on horizontal and vertical alignment.

Yes, I tried to rewrite a few things in there. Could you have a look
and tell me if that makes thing less confusing in your opinion?

On 5/20/20, David Kastrup <[hidden email]> wrote:
> \hspace and \vspace have changed since then in that they have empty
> height and width, respectively (not even including a single point).

> \markup { word \hspace #0 space }
>
> now is the same visually as
>
> \markup { word space }
>
> when it used to add wordspace twice, once before \hspace #0 and once
> behind it.

And it’s even worse with \markup { word \null space }.

By the way, isn’t it time to retire \null? Or at least change its
oh-so-deceptive name. (\point might be confusing in another way,
though; I’m open to suggestions.)

Cheers,
-- V.

Re: Markup vertical alignment

James Lowe-9
Hello,

On 20/05/2020 19:36, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> By the way, isn’t it time to retire \null? Or at least change its
> oh-so-deceptive name. (\point might be confusing in another way,
> though; I’m open to suggestions.)
>
> Cheers,
> -- V.

A bit like this (still open) issue?

;)

Mind you I was sure there was some discussion in dev-lilypond a few
years ago about /null -  whether to keep it or change it or something
(!?) - but I am having a hard time finding it in the archives (I may be
mis-remembering but there was some big(ish) patch around /null and
spacing and there was a similar discussion about renaming it with regard
to related 'null-ish' tricks s1*0 and <>

I'll keep hunting to see if I can find it (in case it saves some time
re-hashing old ground).

James

On 5/21/20, James <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A bit like this (still open) issue?
> https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/1322/
> ;)

Uh, that’s precisely one I’m trying to close… :-)
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/59

> Mind you I was sure there was some discussion in dev-lilypond a few
> years ago about /null -  whether to keep it or change it or something

Interesting.  You’ve obviously been paying more attention than I have,
the only thing I could find is https://codereview.appspot.com/4124056/
(but it’s a doc patch, not really related).

> there was a similar discussion about renaming it with regard
> to related 'null-ish' tricks s1*0 and <>

Oh, that would make sense.

Cheers,
-- V.