Markup in stanza

Ben van Zanten
Markup in stanza

Hello
I would like to be able to put markup in stanza.
I have a song with 3 lyrics, the first should be   /mp  the second  /p and the third /f
Can I use markup or the font for p / mp / f   text ?

Tia,
Ben van Zanten

Re: Markup in stanza

Graham Percival

On 11-Jun-05, at 3:18 PM, Ben van Zanten wrote:
> I would like to be able to put markup in stanza.
> I have a song with 3 lyrics, the first should be   /mp  the second  /p
> and the third /f
> Can I use markup or the font for p / mp / f   text ?

Yes; see the "\musicglyph" command in "Overview of text markup
commands".

Re: Markup in stanza

Mats Bengtsson-6
Quoting Graham Percival <[hidden email]>:

> On 11-Jun-05, at 3:18 PM, Ben van Zanten wrote:
> > I would like to be able to put markup in stanza.
> > I have a song with 3 lyrics, the first should be   /mp  the second  /p
> > and the third /f
> > Can I use markup or the font for p / mp / f   text ?
>
> Yes; see the "\musicglyph" command in "Overview of text markup
> commands".

Rather, look at the \dynamic command in the same section of the
manual.

RE: Markup in stanza

Ben van Zanten
Thanks for your input, but none of the markup commands seem to work :
 % this works
 \set stanza = "mf"

 % this doesn't
 \set stanza = \markup { \dynamic (mf) }    %empty
 \set stanza = \markup { \dynamic ("mf") }  %empty

Is my syntax incorrect ?

Ben

Quoting Graham Percival <[hidden email]>:

> On 11-Jun-05, at 3:18 PM, Ben van Zanten wrote:
> > I would like to be able to put markup in stanza.
> > I have a song with 3 lyrics, the first should be   /mp  the second  /p
> > and the third /f
> > Can I use markup or the font for p / mp / f   text ?
>
> Yes; see the "\musicglyph" command in "Overview of text markup
> commands".

Rather, look at the \dynamic command in the same section of the manual.

Re: Markup in stanza

Mats Bengtsson-6
It seems that you have found some bugs. According to the program
reference, the stanza property can be set to a markup, but there
are two problems here.

1. The following gives a syntax error:
\version 2.5.30
<<
\context Voice = mel \relative c'' { r4 r4 c4 c4 }
\lyricsto  mel \new Lyrics \lyricmode{
   \set stanza = \markup{ "1." \dynamic "mp" }
   \skip 2
   Foo8
}

2. Trying to work around this syntax limitation, I came up with
   the following example which still does not produce any stanza.
   Replacing the \markup with a string works well:
\version 2.5.30
<<
\context Voice = mel \relative c'' { r4 r4 c4 c4 }
\lyricsto  mel \new Lyrics %\with {stanza = \markup{ "1." \dynamic mp }}

Ben van Zanten wrote:

> Thanks for your input, but none of the markup commands seem to work :
>  % this works
>  \set stanza = "mf"
>
>  % this doesn't
>  \set stanza = \markup { \dynamic (mf) }    %empty
>  \set stanza = \markup { \dynamic ("mf") }  %empty
>
> Is my syntax incorrect ?
>
> Ben

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing