MarkLine and bar numbers

Simon Albrecht-2
Hello list,

I’m currently debugging a couple issues with a use case of the MarkLine
context. One of them is demonstrated in the attached minimal scenario:
with a MarkLine atop the topmost staff, the barnumbers fail to align
with the latter, as they normally would. Does anybody know how to
prevent that?

Best, Simon

debug.ly (531 bytes) Download Attachment
Screenshot from 2018-10-28 12-37-23.png (11K) Download Attachment

Re: MarkLine and bar numbers

damianlegassick
Hello Simon

don't have the solution to moving the bar number, but 'normally' they *do* align as in your pic

\version "2.19.82"

aux = {
  s1*2
}

soprano = \relative {
  s1  \mark\default
  \break

  \new StaffGroup <<
    \new Staff \new Voice \soprano
    \new Staff \new Voice \aux

On 28 Oct 2018, at 11:38, Simon Albrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello list,

I’m currently debugging a couple issues with a use case of the MarkLine context. One of them is demonstrated in the attached minimal scenario: with a MarkLine atop the topmost staff, the barnumbers fail to align with the latter, as they normally would. Does anybody know how to prevent that?

Best, Simon

<debug.ly><Screenshot from 2018-10-28 12-37-23.png>_______________________________________________

Re: MarkLine and bar numbers

Simon Albrecht-2
On 28.10.18 14:00, damianlegassick wrote:
> Hello Simon
>
> don't have the solution to moving the bar number, but 'normally' they
> *do* align as in your pic

Thanks for the hint, that got me on the right track as to a workaround:
moving Bar_number_engraver to the topmost staff. Not an actual solution
– I don’t think that bar numbers should behave that way – but fine for now.

Best, Simon

Re: MarkLine and bar numbers

Simon Albrecht-2
Follow-up question:

If bar numbers are in the Staff context, start-of-line marks will be
displaced as if to accommodate Score bar numbers, even if there are
none. Anyone?

Sorry I’m pushing on this apparently hardly supported construct…

Best, Simon

Screenshot from 2018-10-28 15-24-39.png (7K) Download Attachment
debug.ly (529 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: MarkLine and bar numbers

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Simon,

> If bar numbers are in the Staff context, start-of-line marks will be displaced as if to accommodate Score bar numbers, even if there are none. Anyone?

Yeah, this is a thorn in my side, and has been for years. Never had the time to track down MWEs etc. to post a bug — instead, I tend to hack my scores, or use edition-engraver tweaks to fix the "floaters".

Would love to see this one squashed for good. Happy to help however I can.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Re: MarkLine and bar numbers

Thomas Morley-2
Am So., 28. Okt. 2018 um 12:39 Uhr schrieb Simon Albrecht
<[hidden email]>:

> Hello list,
>
> I’m currently debugging a couple issues with a use case of the MarkLine
> context. One of them is demonstrated in the attached minimal scenario:
> with a MarkLine atop the topmost staff, the barnumbers fail to align
> with the latter, as they normally would. Does anybody know how to
> prevent that?
>
> Best, Simon

Hi Simon,

how about:

\layout {
  \context {
    \name "MarkLine"
    \type "Engraver_group"
    \consists "Output_property_engraver"
    \consists "Axis_group_engraver"
    \consists "Mark_engraver"
    \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-affinity = #DOWN
    \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing.padding = #0.5
    \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-nonstaff-spacing.padding = #0.5
  }
  \context {
    \Score
    \remove "Mark_engraver"
    %% !!
    \override BarNumber.after-line-breaking = #'()
    \accepts "MarkLine"

Only minimalistic tests done, though ...

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: MarkLine and bar numbers

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Harm,

>    \override BarNumber.after-line-breaking = #'()

Whoa… What exactly does that do? It seems like a nuclear option!

I’ll be sure to give it a try the next time I run into the issue (which should be very soon, since it happens so frequently).

Cheers,
Kieren.

Re: MarkLine and bar numbers

Thomas Morley-2
Am So., 28. Okt. 2018 um 17:56 Uhr schrieb Kieren MacMillan
<[hidden email]>:

> Hi Harm,
>
> >    \override BarNumber.after-line-breaking = #'()
>
> Whoa… What exactly does that do? It seems like a nuclear option!
>
> I’ll be sure to give it a try the next time I run into the issue (which should be very soon, since it happens so frequently).

Both, RehearsalMark and BarNumber have their 'after-line-breaking set
to the procedure ly:side-position-interface::move-to-extremal-staff,
defined in side-position-interface.cc.
Setting BarNumber.after-line-breaking to an empty list disables it.

I had the suspicion nobody expected a user would move Mark_engraver
without moving Bar_number_engraver as well. So there might be some
bleed over.
So far my suspicion. Then I simply did some experiments ;)

Tbh, after disabling
ly:side-position-interface::move-to-extremal-staff for BarNumber my
expectation was BarNumber would be printed somewhere in the middle of
nowhere...
So I recommend thorough testing before using this for serious work.

Anyway, I'd call current behaviour a bug.

In 2.21.0 we will have
issue 2199 Mark_engraver in StaffGroup misplaces marks at top of Score
Though, it's limited to StaffGroup anyway...

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: MarkLine and bar numbers

Simon Albrecht-2
On 28.10.18 17:10, Thomas Morley wrote:
>   %% !!
>      \override BarNumber.after-line-breaking = #'()
>      \accepts "MarkLine"
>    }
> }
>
> Only minimalistic tests done, though ...

I applied it to my real-world score, and it’s definitely a step forward
– however, behaviour is really erratic now: some of the rehearsal marks
are still displaced.

I’ll see if I can find time to make a real bug report, but would be
grateful if somebody else could.

Best, Simon