Making a click track on midi output

John Burt
I'm making a score for a virtual choir. In addition to the pdf of the score, I'd like to send along a midi file which includes a "click track" to guide the singers. I know how to make the midi file. But I don't know how to include a click track. Can anyone help me with this?
John

Re: Making a click track on midi output

Guy Stalnaker-2
John,

Add to the beginning of the work three measures: two with quarter note (or appropriate values) beats, then one empty (for ease of later editing).

Frankly, in my opinion, it's better for the singers to SEE that there are two measures with the metronomic pulse before they begin singing (much the same for a 4-bar introduction). Even better, make the pulse pitched in the key of the piece, so they'll hear both the pulse and the key before they start.

Regards.

--

“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.”

― Aristotle

I'm making a score for a virtual choir. In addition to the pdf of the score, I'd like to send along a midi file which includes a "click track" to guide the singers. I know how to make the midi file. But I don't know how to include a click track. Can anyone help me with this?
John

Re: Making a click track on midi output

Timothy Lanfear
On 13/09/2020 18:26, John Burt wrote:
> I'm making a score for a virtual choir. In addition to the pdf of the
> score, I'd like to send along a midi file which includes a "click
> track" to guide the singers. I know how to make the midi file. But I
> don't know how to include a click track. Can anyone help me with this?
> John

I use percussion sounds for this purpose, e.g.

   \new DrumStaff \drummode {
     \time 4/4
     wbl4 cl cl cl \repeat unfold 5 { wbh4 cl cl cl }
   }
   \midi{ \tempo 4=120 }
}

I put a wbh4 sound to indicate the beginning of a bar, and wbl4 sound at
a rehearsal mark.

--
Timothy Lanfear, Bristol, UK.

Timothy Lanfear, Bristol, UK.

Re: Making a click track on midi output

Robin Bannister-2
John Burt wrote:

> I know how to make the midi file. But I don't know how
> to include a click track. Can anyone help me with this?

Have a look at this recent thread:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2020-06/msg00065.html

Cheers,
Robin