Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

12

Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

Davide Liessi-2
Dear Frescobaldi&LilyPond&Mac users,
as some of you may know, I'm trying to make Frescobaldi more
Mac-friendly, by packaging it as a native application bundle inside a
standard DMG disk image.

I would be very grateful if you could test the experimental
application bundle I prepared and report the results and your version
of Mac OS X, especially if you are running 10.7 (Lion) or higher. [1]

You can find a DMG disk image containing the application bundle at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4o65629jv9ytw4/Frescobaldi-2.0.16-dev-20140421.dmg

The test should be harmless: the only collateral effect is that any
change you'll make to the settings inside this application bundle will
be picked up by your usual installation of Frescobaldi, since they'll
share the same preferences file. [2]

Anyway, please be aware that this application bundle is considered
experimental and is built from a development version of Frescobaldi,
so it isn't suitable for everyday use: after the tests I advise you to
delete the application bundle and wait for the next release. [3]

Best wishes.
Davide

[1] My machine runs 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and I currently have only
occasional access to a 10.8 (Mountain Lion) machine.

[2] Actually, if your usual version of Frescobaldi is older than
October 2013, your settings will become inaccessible from that
version, while they will still be accessible from versions of the
program newer than that date.
But if you're running such an old version, you should seriously
consider updating to a newer one: Frescobaldi has improved a whole lot
in the last months!

[3] To avoid messing with your current setup (except for the settings
changes) and forgetting to delete the application bundle after the
test, you can run the application directly from the disk image,
without copying it to the /Applications directory.

Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

flup2
Hello,

It works without problem under OS X 10.9 and 10.7 for me.

One little note (not related to this particular bundle): when checking the option "Show splashscreen", Frescobaldi doesn't show its window; I have to click on the Frescobaldi icon in the dock. I don't need to do that when the splashscreen doesn't show.

Thanks a lot for your work.

Philippe

Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

Davide Liessi-2
> It works without problem under OS X 10.9 and 10.7 for me.

Thanks for testing!

> One little note (not related to this particular bundle): when checking the
> option "Show splashscreen", Frescobaldi doesn't show its window; I have to
> click on the Frescobaldi icon in the dock. I don't need to do that when the
> splashscreen doesn't show.

If I remember correctly, you had already pointed this out some weeks ago.
Can you please open an issue for this on GitHub?
I'll look into it after the standalone app tests.

Best wishes.
Davide

Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

Urs Liska
I'm going to meet a Mac user on Saturday who has tried to set up Frescobaldi without success so far. We'll happily do some testing then.

Urs

Davide Liessi <[hidden email]> schrieb am 22.04.2014:
[...]

-- Diese Nachricht wurde mit K-@ Mail gesendet.

Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

Christ van Willegen
On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 12:42 PM, Davide Liessi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Frescobaldi&LilyPond&Mac users,
> as some of you may know, I'm trying to make Frescobaldi more
> Mac-friendly, by packaging it as a native application bundle inside a
> standard DMG disk image.

Great work, much appreciated! Will try to test tonight!

Christ van Willegen

Re: [Frescobaldi] Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

Paul Morris
On Apr 22, 2014, at 6:42 AM, Davide Liessi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would be very grateful if you could test the experimental application bundle I prepared and report the results and your version of Mac OS X, especially if you are running 10.7 (Lion) or higher. [1]

Hi Davide,  I just tried it on OSX 10.9.2 (Mavericks) and everything went well.  Opened a file, edited, rendered, saved, MIDI playback, all worked.  I didn't notice anything that wasn't working as expected.  I have only run it from the disk image.

Thanks again for all your work on MacPorts and now on this!

-Paul

Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

Davide Liessi-2
> I would be very grateful if you could test the experimental
> application bundle I prepared and report the results and your version
> of Mac OS X, especially if you are running 10.7 (Lion) or higher. [1]

A user reported the following error when changing the background color
of the source window.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "[...]/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/frescobaldi_app/preferences/__init__.py",
line 111, in done
  File "[...]/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/frescobaldi_app/preferences/__init__.py",
line 141, in saveSettings
  File "[...]/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/frescobaldi_app/signals.py",
line 191, in emit
  File "[...]/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/frescobaldi_app/signals.py",
line 298, in call
  File "[...]/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/frescobaldi_app/popplerview.py",
line 67, in readSettings
  File "[...]/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/frescobaldi_app/qpopplerview/kineticscrollarea.py",
line 127, in setScrollbarsVisible
RuntimeError: wrapped C/C++ object of type View has been deleted

I wasn't able to reproduce it on my 10.6 machine and I don't know
whether this is related to the packaging or is a bug in the code of
Frescobaldi.
Can you please change that and similar settings?
Tonight I'll be able to test again on the 10.8 machine, I'll see if I
can reproduce the problem.

Best wishes.
Davide

Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

RomanticStrings
I'll try to test it, too, but I have been using Frescobaldi on Mavericks 10.9 since Februrary or March, with little trouble.  Other than reportable bugs, it sometimes warns me of “other" systems trying to change the file, though it's only itself doing so, and when I quit, it sometimes crashes, but after I'm done with it.

I have no recollection of the steps I went through to get it working, but I imagine I simply followed the steps and Googled the error solutions as they arose.

Again, I'll take some time to test it.

Best,
Conor Cook

> On Apr 22, 2014, at 7:33 AM, Christ van Willegen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 12:42 PM, Davide Liessi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear Frescobaldi&LilyPond&Mac users,
>> as some of you may know, I'm trying to make Frescobaldi more
>> Mac-friendly, by packaging it as a native application bundle inside a
>> standard DMG disk image.
>
> Great work, much appreciated! Will try to test tonight!
>
> Christ van Willegen

Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

pls-2
Hey Davide,

no problems on OS 10.9.2!

Thanks a lot!
patrick
On 22.04.2014, at 12:42, Davide Liessi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Frescobaldi&LilyPond&Mac users,
> as some of you may know, I'm trying to make Frescobaldi more
> Mac-friendly, by packaging it as a native application bundle inside a
> standard DMG disk image.
>
> I would be very grateful if you could test the experimental
> application bundle I prepared and report the results and your version
> of Mac OS X, especially if you are running 10.7 (Lion) or higher. [1]
>
> You can find a DMG disk image containing the application bundle at
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4o65629jv9ytw4/Frescobaldi-2.0.16-dev-20140421.dmg
>
> The test should be harmless: the only collateral effect is that any
> change you'll make to the settings inside this application bundle will
> be picked up by your usual installation of Frescobaldi, since they'll
> share the same preferences file. [2]
>
> Anyway, please be aware that this application bundle is considered
> experimental and is built from a development version of Frescobaldi,
> so it isn't suitable for everyday use: after the tests I advise you to
> delete the application bundle and wait for the next release. [3]
>
> Best wishes.
> Davide
>

> [1] My machine runs 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and I currently have only
> occasional access to a 10.8 (Mountain Lion) machine.
>
> [2] Actually, if your usual version of Frescobaldi is older than
> October 2013, your settings will become inaccessible from that
> version, while they will still be accessible from versions of the
> program newer than that date.
> But if you're running such an old version, you should seriously
> consider updating to a newer one: Frescobaldi has improved a whole lot
> in the last months!
>
> [3] To avoid messing with your current setup (except for the settings
> changes) and forgetting to delete the application bundle after the
> test, you can run the application directly from the disk image,
> without copying it to the /Applications directory.

Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

Davide Liessi-2
> A user reported the following error when changing the background color
> of the source window.

That user reported that after closing and reopening Frescobaldi also
he could not reproduce the error.
Anyway, please play around with the settings. :)
Best wishes.
Davide

Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

Stanton Sanderson-2

On Apr 22, 2014, at 7:57 AM, Davide Liessi <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> A user reported the following error when changing the background color
>> of the source window.
>
> That user reported that after closing and reopening Frescobaldi also
> he could not reproduce the error.
> Anyway, please play around with the settings. :)
> Best wishes.
> Davide

No problem here when changing background color while running from the disk image on OS 10.9.2. Thanks again Davide and, of course, Wilbert!

Stan

Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

holland@hollandhopson.com
The application bundle works fine for me on 10.9.2 running it from the disk image.

I notice the same behavior with this bundle and my regular installation: After the splash screen the application moves to the background. I have to click on the Frescobaldi icon in the dock to bring it to the front. Using [command]+[tab] to cycle through active applications doesn’t bring it to the front unless I’ve already clicked on the icon in the dock.

Thanks for your work on this, Davide!
Holland

On Apr 22, 2014, at 5:42 AM, Davide Liessi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Frescobaldi&LilyPond&Mac users,
> as some of you may know, I'm trying to make Frescobaldi more
> Mac-friendly, by packaging it as a native application bundle inside a
> standard DMG disk image.
>
> I would be very grateful if you could test the experimental
> application bundle I prepared and report the results and your version
> of Mac OS X, especially if you are running 10.7 (Lion) or higher. [1]
>
> You can find a DMG disk image containing the application bundle at
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4o65629jv9ytw4/Frescobaldi-2.0.16-dev-20140421.dmg
>
> The test should be harmless: the only collateral effect is that any
> change you'll make to the settings inside this application bundle will
> be picked up by your usual installation of Frescobaldi, since they'll
> share the same preferences file. [2]
>
> Anyway, please be aware that this application bundle is considered
> experimental and is built from a development version of Frescobaldi,
> so it isn't suitable for everyday use: after the tests I advise you to
> delete the application bundle and wait for the next release. [3]
>
> Best wishes.
> Davide

Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

Davide Liessi-2
> One little note (not related to this particular bundle): when checking the
> option "Show splashscreen", Frescobaldi doesn't show its window; I have to
> click on the Frescobaldi icon in the dock. I don't need to do that when the
> splashscreen doesn't show.

Forgot to ask: does this happen both on 10.7 and on 10.9 or only on one of them?

Davide

Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

Thomas Scharkowski

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> The application bundle works fine for me on 10.9.2 running it from the disk image.
>
> I notice the same behavior with this bundle and my regular installation: After the splash screen the application moves to the background. I have to click on the Frescobaldi icon in the dock to bring it to the front. Using [command]+[tab] to cycle through active applications doesn’t bring it to the front unless I’ve already clicked on the icon in the dock.
>
> Thanks for your work on this, Davide!
> Holland

Exactly the same here.
Thanks to Davide and Wilbert!

Thomas

Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

Tim McNamara

On Apr 23, 2014, at 2:05 AM, Thomas Scharkowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>
>> The application bundle works fine for me on 10.9.2 running it from the disk image.
>>
>> I notice the same behavior with this bundle and my regular installation: After the splash screen the application moves to the background. I have to click on the Frescobaldi icon in the dock to bring it to the front. Using [command]+[tab] to cycle through active applications doesn’t bring it to the front unless I’ve already clicked on the icon in the dock.
>>
>> Thanks for your work on this, Davide!
>> Holland
>>

> Exactly the same here.
> Thanks to Davide and Wilbert!

And also for me, which has been the same for the version installed with MacPorts as well.  The .app bundle is much more convenient, thank you David for your work on this!

Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

Paul Morris
Davide Liessi-2 wrote
A user reported the following error when changing the background color of the source window.
No problem with changing the background color here (10.9.2).

I am also seeing the splash-screen-then-no-new-window-until-click-dock-icon behavior, but with both the MacPorts installation and the new .app bundle, so that's a separate issue.  I find that this problem doesn't occur if I uncheck "Show Splash Screen on Startup" in preferences, on both the MacPorts version and the .app bundle.

Cheers,
-Paul

Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

RomanticStrings
The program downloaded easily and opened up just fine on my system.

~Conor Cook

On Apr 23, 2014, at 1:36 PM, Paul Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Davide Liessi-2 wrote
>> A user reported the following error when changing the background color of
>> the source window.
>
> No problem with changing the background color here (10.9.2).
>
> I am also seeing the splash-screen-then-no-new-window-until-click-dock-icon
> behavior, but with both the MacPorts installation and the new .app bundle,
> so that's a separate issue.  I find that this problem doesn't occur if I
> uncheck "Show Splash Screen on Startup" in preferences, on both the MacPorts
> version and the .app bundle.
>
> Cheers,
> -Paul

Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

RomanticStrings
Which is OS 10.9.2 Mavericks, in case you were wondering… (Sorry :)

On Apr 26, 2014, at 1:55 PM, Conor Cook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The program downloaded easily and opened up just fine on my system.
>
> ~Conor Cook
>
> On Apr 23, 2014, at 1:36 PM, Paul Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Davide Liessi-2 wrote
>>> A user reported the following error when changing the background color of
>>> the source window.
>>
>> No problem with changing the background color here (10.9.2).
>>
>> I am also seeing the splash-screen-then-no-new-window-until-click-dock-icon
>> behavior, but with both the MacPorts installation and the new .app bundle,
>> so that's a separate issue.  I find that this problem doesn't occur if I
>> uncheck "Show Splash Screen on Startup" in preferences, on both the MacPorts
>> version and the .app bundle.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -Paul

Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

Davide Liessi-2
> I would be very grateful if you could test the experimental
> application bundle I prepared and report the results and your version
> of Mac OS X, especially if you are running 10.7 (Lion) or higher.

I tested 2 machines and received reports about 12 machines.
Of these 14 machines, 1 ran 10.6, 1 ran 10.7, 3 ran 10.8 and 9 ran 10.9.

5 of the 10.9 machines and the 10.7 machine exhibited the "splash
screen bug" (reported at
https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/issues/428), which is certainly
unrelated to the installation method.
2 of the 10.8 machines had two different glitches, most probably
unrelated to the installation method, that happened only once on those
machines and were irreproducible on other machines (various Mac OS
versions).

Except for these, the application bundle was working correctly on all machines.
If Wilbert agrees, I think that starting with the next version
Frescobaldi will be distributed also as a downloadable self-contained
Mac application bundle!

Thanks to everyone for taking time to download and test the bundle!
Best wishes.
Davide

Am 05.05.2014 11:08, schrieb Davide Liessi:

>> I would be very grateful if you could test the experimental
>> application bundle I prepared and report the results and your version
>> of Mac OS X, especially if you are running 10.7 (Lion) or higher.
>
> I tested 2 machines and received reports about 12 machines.
> Of these 14 machines, 1 ran 10.6, 1 ran 10.7, 3 ran 10.8 and 9 ran 10.9.
>
> 5 of the 10.9 machines and the 10.7 machine exhibited the "splash
> screen bug" (reported at
> https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/issues/428), which is certainly
> unrelated to the installation method.
> 2 of the 10.8 machines had two different glitches, most probably
> unrelated to the installation method, that happened only once on those
> machines and were irreproducible on other machines (various Mac OS
> versions).
>
> Except for these, the application bundle was working correctly on all machines.
> If Wilbert agrees, I think that starting with the next version
> Frescobaldi will be distributed also as a downloadable self-contained
> Mac application bundle!
>
> Thanks to everyone for taking time to download and test the bundle!
> Best wishes.
> Davide

Thanks for your work, Davide, this will be a major progress!
@Wilbert: If nothing else is broken currently I'd say this warrants a
2.0.16 release.

Urs

12