Lyrics: many syllables -> one note?

David Rogers-6
I have searched the documentation as well as I can, and find nothing
on this topic. I want to write ordinary notation, but to have a
pseudo-chant section where there are many syllables to one note. How
do I format my lyrics to make this happen?

Thanks
David

Re: Lyrics: many syllables -> one note?

Mats Bengtsson-6
The easiest is just to put all the words together within double quotes,
so LilyPond
handles them as a single syllable:

\lyricmode{ "This sentence is handled like a single syllable" This one
is not! }

If you have so many words that you need a line break in the middle of the
pseudo-chant, you would need some more advanced tricks, such as connecting
them to a voice with invisible notes.

   /Mats

David Rogers wrote:

> I have searched the documentation as well as I can, and find nothing
> on this topic. I want to write ordinary notation, but to have a
> pseudo-chant section where there are many syllables to one note. How
> do I format my lyrics to make this happen?
>
> Thanks
> David

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: Lyrics: many syllables -> one note?

Arthur Dyck
On Tuesday 15 November 2005 12:54 pm, David Rogers wrote:
> I have searched the documentation as well as I can, and find nothing
> on this topic. I want to write ordinary notation, but to have a
> pseudo-chant section where there are many syllables to one note. How
> do I format my lyrics to make this happen?
>
> Thanks
> David

Joining your syllables or words with an underscore will place them all under
one note. e.g. one_two_three.

Regards
Arthur

On Nov 16, 2005, at 01:14, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> The easiest is just to put all the words together within double
> quotes, so LilyPond
> handles them as a single syllable:
>
> \lyricmode{ "This sentence is handled like a single syllable" This
> one is not! }
>
> If you have so many words that you need a line break in the middle
> of the
> pseudo-chant, you would need some more advanced tricks, such as
> connecting
> them to a voice with invisible notes.

Thank you Mats. This works, in a way - but then the note is centred
over the line of lyrics. I suppose that may be correct for an
ordinary single syllable, but in a chant it means the singer can't
see his note until half the words are over.
However, I've successfully used invisible notes for the extra words.
Thanks to you for that tip as well.

David

Re: Lyrics: many syllables -> one note?

David Rogers-6
Hi

After a preliminary fix for my problem with lyrics chanted to a
single note (thank you, Mats and Arthur), and some extremely
determined messing around, I have discovered:
______________________________________

\version "2.6.0"
\relative c'' {\key f \major \set Score.timing = ##f
c1 f,4 bes a \bar "|" g e f8 e f1}
\addlyrics {\once \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #-1 "All
these words are placed properly under one note," while these ones are
set nor -- mal -- ly. }

_______________________________________

Placing the prefix \once \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #-1
before a lyric word causes Lilypond to left-align that lyric with its
note. Change the #-1 to a #1 and it will be right-aligned; use #0 for
centred (which is the default). #-0.8 is most of the way to being
left-aligned, etc. Hope this helps someone.

David

Re: Lyrics: many syllables -> one note?

Mats Bengtsson-6
You can also say #LEFT, #CENTER and #RIGHT instead of #-1, #0 and #1,
respectively, if you find that easier to remember.

   /Mats