Lyrics appear in "sans" on linux-64

123

Re: Lyrics appear in "sans" on linux-64

Mark Polesky
Colin Campbell wrote:
> When I compile, I generally use -j3 CPU_COUNT=3 on a
> dual-core machine, with no font issues that I've seen.

I have a quad-core; so I've been using -j5 CPU_COUNT=5.

- Mark

Re: Lyrics appear in "sans" on linux-64

Phil Holmes
"Mark Polesky" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Colin Campbell wrote:
>> When I compile, I generally use -j3 CPU_COUNT=3 on a
>> dual-core machine, with no font issues that I've seen.
>
> I have a quad-core; so I've been using -j5 CPU_COUNT=5.
>
> - Mark

With my quad core dual threaded build machine, -j9 CPU_COUNT=9 makes docs
without problem.

--
Phil Holmes
Bug Squad

Re: Lyrics appear in "sans" on linux-64

Phil Holmes
"Mark Polesky" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

As time permits, I may try to compile some old releases to
see if I can pinpoint the release where the problem emerges,
if not the commit itself. This could take a while! In the
meantime, I presume I could leave off the -j option, but it
would be nice to isolate the source of this.

=======================================

You may find
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/contributor/finding-the-cause-of-a-regression
useful.

--
Phil Holmes
Bug Squad

Re: Lyrics appear in "sans" on linux-64

Mark Polesky
In case anyone is still interested in this, today I
completely cleaned out my source dir and did a `make' and
`make doc' (no `-j5' or `CPU_COUNT=5'), from scratch with
latest master:

rm -rf ~/lilypond-git/* && git reset --hard origin/master
./autogen.sh --noconfigure
mkdir build/
cd build/
../configure
make
make doc

...and still I get these weird sans-serif fonts in the doc
png images.  So it's clearly *not* related to the `-j' and
`CPU_COUNT' options.  I don't really need to be building LP
for the type of work that I usually do, but it is a little
disappointing that I couldn't create a proper release if I
wanted to.  I also find it strange that others with a very
similar system (Ubuntu 64bit) do not have this problem.

I don't think I compiled LP last since 2.13.12 or so, but if
I ever track down a specific regression point, I'll be sure
to post it here.

- Mark

Re: Lyrics appear in "sans" on linux-64

Thomas Morley-2
2013/8/27 Mark Polesky <[hidden email]>:

> In case anyone is still interested in this, today I
> completely cleaned out my source dir and did a `make' and
> `make doc' (no `-j5' or `CPU_COUNT=5'), from scratch with
> latest master:
>
> rm -rf ~/lilypond-git/* && git reset --hard origin/master
> ./autogen.sh --noconfigure
> mkdir build/
> cd build/
> ../configure
> make
> make doc
>
> ...and still I get these weird sans-serif fonts in the doc
> png images.  So it's clearly *not* related to the `-j' and
> `CPU_COUNT' options.  I don't really need to be building LP
> for the type of work that I usually do, but it is a little
> disappointing that I couldn't create a proper release if I
> wanted to.  I also find it strange that others with a very
> similar system (Ubuntu 64bit) do not have this problem.
>
> I don't think I compiled LP last since 2.13.12 or so, but if
> I ever track down a specific regression point, I'll be sure
> to post it here.
>
> - Mark

FWIW,
I tested doc-compilation of 2.17.25 from the source-tarball (don't
have git on my 64-bit-system)
with
make -j3 CPU_COUNT=3 doc
on
Linux kasten 2.6.32-50-generic #112-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 9 20:28:23 UTC
2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Result: correct fonts

-Harm

Re: Lyrics appear in "sans" on linux-64

pkx166h
Hello,

On 27/08/13 11:02, Mark Polesky wrote:

> In case anyone is still interested in this, today I
> completely cleaned out my source dir and did a `make' and
> `make doc' (no `-j5' or `CPU_COUNT=5'), from scratch with
> latest master:
>
> rm -rf ~/lilypond-git/* && git reset --hard origin/master
> ./autogen.sh --noconfigure
> mkdir build/
> cd build/
> ../configure
> make
> make doc
>
> ...and still I get these weird sans-serif fonts in the doc
> png images.  So it's clearly *not* related to the `-j' and
> `CPU_COUNT' options.  I don't really need to be building LP
> for the type of work that I usually do, but it is a little
> disappointing that I couldn't create a proper release if I
> wanted to.  I also find it strange that others with a very
> similar system (Ubuntu 64bit) do not have this problem.
>
> I don't think I compiled LP last since 2.13.12 or so, but if
> I ever track down a specific regression point, I'll be sure
> to post it here.
>
> - Mark

And just because I couldn't find if you had checked, did you look in the
output when you run ../config in case there is some warning or message
that you are missing that might indicate something is missing or not at
a correct version etc.

It may have nothing to do with what is in lilypond-git but the 'other'
software you have installed currently that we require.

What version of gs are you using? There was an issue I believe with
Raring Ringtail that David found that had to do with GS, but this
manifested itself in an error than a weird thing like this.

I am just clutching at straws here mind.

james

[...]

What happens if you just use your compiled version of LilyPond to compile
some music with lyrics?

--
Phil Holmes
Bug Squad

Re: Lyrics appear in "sans" on linux-64

Colin Campbell-8
On 13-08-27 09:16 AM, Phil Holmes wrote:

> "Mark Polesky" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
> In case anyone is still interested in this, today I
> completely cleaned out my source dir and did a `make' and
> `make doc' (no `-j5' or `CPU_COUNT=5'), from scratch with
> latest master:
>
> rm -rf ~/lilypond-git/* && git reset --hard origin/master
> ./autogen.sh --noconfigure
> mkdir build/
> cd build/
> ../configure
> make
> make doc
>
> ...and still I get these weird sans-serif fonts in the doc
> png images. So it's clearly *not* related to the `-j' and
> `CPU_COUNT' options. I don't really need to be building LP
> for the type of work that I usually do, but it is a little
> disappointing that I couldn't create a proper release if I
> wanted to. I also find it strange that others with a very
> similar system (Ubuntu 64bit) do not have this problem.
>
> I don't think I compiled LP last since 2.13.12 or so, but if
> I ever track down a specific regression point, I'll be sure
> to post it here.
>
> - Mark
>
> What happens if you just use your compiled version of LilyPond to
> compile some music with lyrics?

Another possibility is that your font cache is munged, Mark. I've seen
discussions where a missing font was replaced with a generic sans face.
Regrettably, I can't point to the location of a font cache on my Linux
Mint machine; it should be in ~/.lilypond-fonts.cache-2 but that seems
to have changed. It may well be worth tracking down the cache on your
machine and deleting it, which will force LilyPond to rebuild it next
time it runs.

Cheers,
Colin

--
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands.
You need to be able to throw something back.

Colin Campbell wrote:
> Another possibility is that your font cache is munged

Okay, I moved the .lilypond-fonts.cache-2/ directory out of
my home directory, and configure responds with:

checking New Century Schoolbook PFB files... dirname: missing operand
Try `dirname --help' for more information.

I don't know what that means, but it doesn't raise an error.
I'm going ahead with a full make/make doc, which takes just
under 2hrs on my system when I don't use -j and CPU_COUNT.
If anyone knows what I should do with that configure
message, please let me know!

Is the .lilypond-fonts.cache-2/ directory the font-cache for
the program I've downloaded and installed?  Or is it the
font-cache for the program that I've built?  Or do they
share the same cache?

Thanks.
- Mark

Re: Lyrics appear in "sans" on linux-64

David Kastrup
Mark Polesky <[hidden email]> writes:

> Colin Campbell wrote:
>> Another possibility is that your font cache is munged
>
> Okay, I moved the .lilypond-fonts.cache-2/ directory out of
> my home directory, and configure responds with:
>
> checking New Century Schoolbook PFB files... dirname: missing operand
> Try `dirname --help' for more information.

That looks quite fishy, like a script getting confused by strange
circumstances.

Mark Polesky wrote:
> checking New Century Schoolbook PFB files... dirname:
> missing operand Try `dirname --help' for more information.
>
> I don't know what that means, but it doesn't raise an
> error.  I'm going ahead with a full make/make doc, which
> takes just under 2hrs on my system when I don't use -j and
> CPU_COUNT.  If anyone knows what I should do with that
> configure message, please let me know!

I removed the .lilypond-fonts.cache-2/ directory, wiped
everything clean, did make/make doc (no -j or CPU_COUNT).
Still I get the sans-serif fonts.

Anyone?
- Mark

Mark Polesky wrote:
> checking New Century Schoolbook PFB files... dirname:
> missing operand Try `dirname --help' for more information.
>
> I don't know what that means, but it doesn't raise an
> error. I'm going ahead with a full make/make doc, which
> takes just under 2hrs on my system when I don't use -j and
> CPU_COUNT. If anyone knows what I should do with that
> configure message, please let me know!

I removed the .lilypond-fonts.cache-2/ directory, wiped
everything clean, did make/make doc (no -j or CPU_COUNT).
Still I get the sans-serif fonts.

I'm fairly certain the -j/CPU_COUNT is irrelevant.  Use an appropriate value
for your machine.  I asked earlier what happens if you try a simple
compilation of some music with lyrics on your built LilyPond.  Could you
try, please?

--
Phil Holmes
Bug Squad

Phil Holmes wrote:
> I'm fairly certain the -j/CPU_COUNT is irrelevant.  Use an
> appropriate value for your machine.  I asked earlier what
> happens if you try a simple compilation of some music with
> lyrics on your built LilyPond.  Could you try, please?

Actually I hadn't run `make install' previously, just
make/make doc.  So now I tried `make install', and finally I
get an error!

No such file or directory: './out/CenturySchL-Ital.otf'

I've attached the log file.  If anyone knows where to go
from here, let me know!

Thanks.
- Mark

make-install.log (15K) Download Attachment

Re: Lyrics appear in "sans" on linux-64

Werner LEMBERG

[git cc2b7846]

> No such file or directory: './out/CenturySchL-Ital.otf'

Obviously, this means that FontForge hasn't created this file while
doing `make'.

The Century OTFs are created by the script `pfx2ttf.fontforge'.  For
my local compilation, I see the following command while doing `make
all':

  /usr/local/bin/fontforge \
    -script ../scripts/auxiliar/pfx2ttf.fontforge \
    /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/c059013l.pfb \
    /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/c059013l.afm \
    ./out/ \
  && /usr/local/bin/fontforge \
       -script ../scripts/auxiliar/pfx2ttf.fontforge \
       /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/c059033l.pfb \
       /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/c059033l.afm \
       ./out/ \
  && /usr/local/bin/fontforge \
       -script ../scripts/auxiliar/pfx2ttf.fontforge \
       /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/c059036l.pfb \
       /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/c059036l.afm \
       ./out/ \
  && /usr/local/bin/fontforge \
       -script ../scripts/auxiliar/pfx2ttf.fontforge \
       /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/c059016l.pfb \
       /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/c059016l.afm \
       ./out/ \
  && true

Note that there seems to be a bug somewhere regarding dependencies:
Doing a non-parallel build, the above command is run four times.
Maybe this is the very reasons of your problem.

    Werner

Werner Lemberg wrote:
> Note that there seems to be a bug somewhere regarding
> dependencies: Doing a non-parallel build, the above
> command is run four times.  Maybe this is the very reasons
> of your problem.

Werner,

are you implying that you might know how to fix this?  Or
should I instead ask, where do I go from here?  This build
stuff is way out of my league.

Thanks.
- Mark

Re: Lyrics appear in "sans" on linux-64

Werner LEMBERG

> are you implying that you might know how to fix this?

Not really.  Actually, I hope that some of our make gurus chime in :-)

Can you show us the lines in your `make.log' file directly after the
calls to the `pfx2ttf.fontforge' script?  Maybe there is some hint
which shows what's going on.

    Werner

Werner Lemberg wrote:
> Can you show us the lines in your `make.log' file directly
> after the calls to the `pfx2ttf.fontforge' script?  Maybe
> there is some hint which shows what's going on.

Curiously, no.  There is no call to that function in my
make.log file.  I did:

make all &> make.log

Am I using the wrong redirection operator?

- Mark

Re: Lyrics appear in "sans" on linux-64

David Kastrup
Mark Polesky <[hidden email]> writes:

> Werner Lemberg wrote:
>> Can you show us the lines in your `make.log' file directly
>> after the calls to the `pfx2ttf.fontforge' script?  Maybe
>> there is some hint which shows what's going on.
>
> Curiously, no.  There is no call to that function in my
> make.log file.  I did:
>
> make all &> make.log
>
> Am I using the wrong redirection operator?

Depends on your shell.  Bash understands both &> and >&.  The C shell
(where the construct originated) just supports >& but since nobody uses
a C shell anymore who would ask "Am I using the wrong redirection
operator?", this is mostly of historical relevance for guessing what
modern shells might do.  Dash does not support either: calling the above
would run make all in background, in parallel with turning make.log into
an empty file.

If you want to be on the safe side, write

make all >make.log 2>&1

since this will work on all shells known to me.

David Kastrup wrote:
>> make all &> make.log
>>
>> Am I using the wrong redirection operator?
>
> Depends on your shell.  Bash understands both &> and >&.

Well, I'm using bash.  This just gets weirder and weirder.
Here's my make.log:

http://www.markpolesky.com/norobots/make.log

Werner Lemberg wrote:
> Can you show us the lines in your `make.log' file directly
> after the calls to the `pfx2ttf.fontforge' script? Maybe
> there is some hint which shows what's going on.

Curiously, no. There is no call to that function in my
make.log file. I did:

make all &> make.log

Am I using the wrong redirection operator?

- Mark

Could you put a copy of your make.log somewhere, please, so that we can have
a look?

--
Phil Holmes
Bug Squad