Lyrics appear in "sans" on linux-64

123

Lyrics appear in "sans" on linux-64

Mark Polesky
Hi, maybe this has been discussed and I missed it, but I
compiled the docs today, and all the lyrics came out in
"sans".  Is this a known issue?

$ uname -a
Linux localhost 3.2.0-36-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 8
21:44:52 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

- Mark

sans-lyrics.png (32K) Download Attachment

Re: Lyrics appear in "sans" on linux-64

pkx166h
Mark,

On 25 August 2013 04:03, Mark Polesky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, maybe this has been discussed and I missed it, but I
> compiled the docs today, and all the lyrics came out in
> "sans".  Is this a known issue?
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux localhost 3.2.0-36-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 8
> 21:44:52 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> - Mark

Using 32 bit lilydev I don't get this problem. It all looks 'normal' from
building from today's tree.

James

Re: Lyrics appear in "sans" on linux-64

Thomas Morley-2
2013/8/25 James <[hidden email]>:

> Mark,
>

> On 25 August 2013 04:03, Mark Polesky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi, maybe this has been discussed and I missed it, but I
>> compiled the docs today, and all the lyrics came out in
>> "sans".  Is this a known issue?
>>
>> $ uname -a
>> Linux localhost 3.2.0-36-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 8
>> 21:44:52 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> - Mark

> Using 32 bit lilydev I don't get this problem. It all looks 'normal' from
> building from today's tree.
>
> James
Compiling

<<
  \new Voice = "melody" {
    a1 a4. a8 a2
  }
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" {
    These are the words
  }

with 2.17.24 (via installer) on
Linux kasten 2.6.32-50-generic #112-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 9 20:28:23 UTC
2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
seems to be ok.

->png

-Harm

atest-22.preview.png (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Lyrics appear in "sans" on linux-64

pkx166h
Thomas,

On 25 August 2013 13:35, Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2013/8/25 James <[hidden email]>:
> > Mark,
> >

> > On 25 August 2013 04:03, Mark Polesky <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, maybe this has been discussed and I missed it, but I
> >> compiled the docs today, and all the lyrics came out in
> >> "sans".  Is this a known issue?
> >>
> >> $ uname -a
> >> Linux localhost 3.2.0-36-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 8
> >> 21:44:52 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >>
> >> - Mark

> > Using 32 bit lilydev I don't get this problem. It all looks 'normal' from
> > building from today's tree.
> >
> > James
>
> Compiling
>
> <<
>   \new Voice = "melody" {
>     a1 a4. a8 a2
>   }
>   \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" {
>     These are the words
>   }
> >>

> with 2.17.24 (via installer) on
> Linux kasten 2.6.32-50-generic #112-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 9 20:28:23 UTC
> 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> seems to be ok.
>
> ->png
>
> -Harm

He's building doc not running lp binary.

james

James wrote:
> Using 32 bit lilydev I don't get this problem.  It all
> looks 'normal' from building from today's tree.

Okay good, that should help developers narrow down this bug.

Thomas Morley wrote:
> Compiling
>
> [...]
>
> with 2.17.24 (via installer) on
> Linux kasten 2.6.32-50-generic #112-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 9
> 20:28:23 UTC 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> seems to be ok.

Yes, I know.  The problem seems to be with 2.17.25.

- Mark

Re: Lyrics appear in "sans" on linux-64

Phil Holmes

"Mark Polesky" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
Hi, maybe this has been discussed and I missed it, but I
compiled the docs today, and all the lyrics came out in
"sans". Is this a known issue?

$ uname -a
Linux localhost 3.2.0-36-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 8
21:44:52 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

- Mark

I think this must be something to do with your own system - don't forget
that for HTML, the font is actually chosen by the browser.  Here's latest
master, make doc on 64 bit Ubuntu 10.04.

--
Phil Holmes
Bug Squad

Lyrics.png (13K) Download Attachment

Phil Holmes wrote:
> I think this must be something to do with your own system
> - don't forget that for HTML, the font is actually chosen
> by the browser.  Here's latest master, make doc on 64 bit
> Ubuntu 10.04.

Huh?  The font problem is showing in the png images produced
from `make doc', not in the browser text.  I've attached:
lilypond-git/build/out-www/offline-root/Documentation/da/lily-31bf4cb1.png

- Mark

lily-31bf4cb1.png (3K) Download Attachment

Phil Holmes wrote:
> I think this must be something to do with your own system
> - don't forget that for HTML, the font is actually chosen
> by the browser. Here's latest master, make doc on 64 bit
> Ubuntu 10.04.

Huh? The font problem is showing in the png images produced
from `make doc', not in the browser text. I've attached:
lilypond-git/build/out-www/offline-root/Documentation/da/lily-31bf4cb1.png

- Mark

Huh?  The rest of the fonts on what looks like your screenshot from a
browser are also sans-serif.  Huh?  It's looks like a problem with your
system.  As I said, I can't reproduce it on my system from git master.

--
Phil Holmes
Bug Squad

Re: Lyrics appear in "sans" on linux-64

Colin Campbell-8
On 13-08-25 02:04 PM, Phil Holmes wrote:

> "Mark Polesky" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
> Phil Holmes wrote:
>> I think this must be something to do with your own system
>> - don't forget that for HTML, the font is actually chosen
>> by the browser. Here's latest master, make doc on 64 bit
>> Ubuntu 10.04.
>
> Huh? The font problem is showing in the png images produced
> from `make doc', not in the browser text. I've attached:
> lilypond-git/build/out-www/offline-root/Documentation/da/lily-31bf4cb1.png
>

> - Mark

> Huh?  The rest of the fonts on what looks like your screenshot from a
> browser are also sans-serif.  Huh?  It's looks like a problem with
> your system.  As I said, I can't reproduce it on my system from git
> master.

FWIW, I just did make doc-clean and make doc, and the resulting .png
uses the serif face. This is with 2.17.24 and
**********
colin@Sherlock ~ ((5dfb2c8...))$ uname -a
Linux Sherlock 3.5.0-37-lowlatency #38-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Wed Jul 17
10:28:33 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
**************

Looks as though the problem is local, Mark.

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands.
You need to be able to throw something back.
-Maya Angelou, poet (1928- )

Phil Holmes wrote:
> Huh?  The rest of the fonts on what looks like your
> screenshot from a browser are also sans-serif.  Huh?  It's
> looks like a problem with your system.  As I said, I can't
> reproduce it on my system from git master.

Okay, Phil, sorry if I got snippy.  But there's a
misunderstanding:

Firefox did not produce the png image, LilyPond did (using
`make doc').  Here's a shot of the same browser page with my
font preferences adjusted to bold serif.  The font in the
png image hasn't changed of course, because firefox can only
display the image (that LilyPond produced).  So the browser
styles are irrelevant.

But for whatever reason, with 2.17.25, on *my* computer,
LilyPond is not displaying the default serif font for the
lyrics, while 2.17.24 is working just fine for me.  And
whatever that reason is, it's not creating the problem for
you and the other developers.  I know nothing about how
fonts are handled in LilyPond, but something is amiss.

I configured `make' just before I built the docs, and
`configure' did not say that I was missing any required
fonts.  My guess is that something was modified in the
font-handling code (no idea), because I *am* getting the
right font in 2.17.24, and I'm *not* in 2.17.25.

- Mark

Re: Lyrics appear in "sans" on linux-64

Mark Polesky
forgot the attachment

sans-lyrics-2.png (42K) Download Attachment

Colin Campbell wrote:
> Looks as though the problem is local, Mark.

I'm willing to accept that as a possibility, but how would I
begin to troubleshoot it?  How could I sort out the cause?

Besides, if that's true, what if this happens to other users
(and ones less advanced than I), what do we tell them?  It
would be nice to have a solution ready.

Thanks.
- Mark

Re: Lyrics appear in "sans" on linux-64

Phil Holmes
"Mark Polesky" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> forgot the attachment

OK.  You're definitely attaching cropped screenshots, AFAICS.  Compare the
first one you attached, where the heading "Using \lyriscto" is sans serif,
with the one you've just attached.  That's a serif font.  So, to me, your
system, for whatever reason, is struggling to find the right fonts.  In the
first screenshot, your browser has failed to find the correct font.  In the
second, it's OK.  Perhaps simply remaking the docs will fix it.  Whatever it
is, it's not a problem with the lilypond code, as Colin and I can attest.

--
Phil Holmes
Bug Squad

On 13-08-25 03:35 PM, Phil Holmes wrote:

> "Mark Polesky" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>> forgot the attachment

> OK.  You're definitely attaching cropped screenshots, AFAICS. Compare
> the first one you attached, where the heading "Using \lyriscto" is
> sans serif, with the one you've just attached. That's a serif font.
> So, to me, your system, for whatever reason, is struggling to find the
> right fonts.  In the first screenshot, your browser has failed to find
> the correct font.  In the second, it's OK.  Perhaps simply remaking
> the docs will fix it.  Whatever it is, it's not a problem with the
> lilypond code, as Colin and I can attest.

To be accurate, I tested on 2.17.24 so I'm just now remaking doc after
updating to latest master and recompiling the binaries. I'm also in the
middle of cleaning up my boat building shop, AKA Mrs Bean Counter's
garage, so I'll report in  a half hour or so.

cheers,
Colin

Phil Holmes wrote:
> OK.  You're definitely attaching cropped screenshots,
> AFAICS.

Yes.

> Compare the first one you attached, where the heading
> "Using \lyriscto" is sans serif, with the one you've just
> attached.  That's a serif font.

Exactly.  In the first one, I set my browser's default font
to sans-serif.  In the second one, I changed my browser's
default font to serif.

> So, to me, your system, for whatever reason, is struggling
> to find the right fonts.

No.  My browser is displaying the fonts I request,
consistently.

> In the first screenshot, your browser has failed to find
> the correct font.

No.  For that screenshot, I had set my browser's default
font to sans-serif, and then my browser displayed the text
in a sans-serif font, so my browser *succeeded* in finding
the right font.

> In the second, it's OK.

Yes, because that time I had set the default font to serif.

> Perhaps simply remaking the docs will fix it.

I hope not! :)  That would make this bug extra hard to track
down.  Far better for it to be consistent.  I can try that,
but I don't really think that will help.

> Whatever it is, it's not a problem with the lilypond code,
> as Colin and I can attest.

Personally, I wouldn't be so quick to make that conclusion.
Hypothetically, if a new LilyPond release completely failed
to work on Mac and Windows, but continued to work for you
and Colin, I don't think you'd say there's no problem with
the lilypond code.

In any case, does anyone have any suggestions for
troubleshooting this?

Thanks
- Mark

Colin Campbell wrote:
> To be accurate, I tested on 2.17.24 so I'm just now
> remaking doc after updating to latest master and
> recompiling the binaries.

As I mentioned earlier, my font problem only happens on
2.17.25.  The output on 2.17.24 is fine.

- Mark

On 13-08-25 04:11 PM, Mark Polesky wrote:
> Colin Campbell wrote:
>> To be accurate, I tested on 2.17.24 so I'm just now
>> remaking doc after updating to latest master and
>> recompiling the binaries.
> As I mentioned earlier, my font problem only happens on
> 2.17.25.  The output on 2.17.24 is fine.
>
> - Mark

Here is the just-made .png from

colin@Sherlock ~/lilypond-git/build (dev/local_working)$ which lilypond
/usr/local/bin/lilypond
colin@Sherlock ~/lilypond-git/build (dev/local_working)$ lilypond -v
GNU LilyPond 2.17.25

Copyright (c) 1996--2012 by
   Han-Wen Nienhuys <[hidden email]>
   Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]>
   and others.

And the .PDF is the same. As well as opening the .png in Okular, I've
also looked at it in context, in 2.1.1 of the just-generated NR. I don't
see any lyrics in sans, just on a really cursory scan of nearby
examples. I haven't gone the route of nuking my /build, nor have I
deleted my font cache, but so far, I can't reproduce your problem, Mark.

Cheers,
Colin

dak

Mark Polesky <[hidden email]> writes:

> Colin Campbell wrote:
>> To be accurate, I tested on 2.17.24 so I'm just now
>> remaking doc after updating to latest master and
>> recompiling the binaries.
>
> As I mentioned earlier, my font problem only happens on
> 2.17.25.  The output on 2.17.24 is fine.

There is no real candidate for such a difference in the commits.  So did
you choose a significantly different directory name for building
2.17.25?

Or does it make a difference if you revert
commit de179d8b2cbf6fe86ff9a000a0d21bc6bc118905
Author: David Kastrup <[hidden email]>
Date:   Sun Aug 11 13:45:05 2013 +0200

    Issue 3468: lilypond-book and spaces in application name

I don't see any remotely sensible reason why this should cause that kind
of problem, but at least it touches a somewhat related area.

David Kastrup wrote:
>> As I mentioned earlier, my font problem only happens on
>> 2.17.25.  The output on 2.17.24 is fine.
>
> There is no real candidate for such a difference in the
> commits.  So did you choose a significantly different
> directory name for building 2.17.25?

No.  I haven't built lilypond in well over a year (maybe
two); everything was built from a clean environment.  I just
did a fresh build from a brand-new build dir, and the
problem persists.  Also, the new 2.17.25 release from the
downloads directory on the website works fine for me; it's
only when I build the docs myself that I get this problem.
So I'm starting to supsect that this is related to my use of
the -j and/or CPU_COUNT options:

make -j5
make -j5 CPU_COUNT=5 doc

I searched the commit history and found this commit, which
looks *very* related to my issue:

e6a5019c531bbc6663e0eebc645409148dbd8931
Author: John Mandereau - LilyPond development <[hidden email]>  2012-06-28 09:32:18
Committer: John Mandereau <[hidden email]>  2012-06-29 07:40:55
Parent: 512d405d07aba8742658902b105a94ebbd40c2dc (Get texidoc translations out of snippets source files)
Child:  fe304f602c185ce15b426d7fe828858b27097b63 (Merge git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond into stencil-recurse)
Child:  43fe858eb18418ae1d8867786ad873b7a4e2ae8a (Fix description in lily/include/smobs.hh)
Branches: many (28)
Follows: release/2.15.40-1
Precedes: release/2.15.41-1

    Clean fonts and docs makefiles, trying to fix 'make -j' race conditions

As time permits, I may try to compile some old releases to
see if I can pinpoint the release where the problem emerges,
if not the commit itself.  This could take a while!  In the
meantime, I presume I could leave off the -j option, but it
would be nice to isolate the source of this.

Any additional insights by anyone would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone!
- Mark

On 13-08-25 07:07 PM, Mark Polesky wrote:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>>> As I mentioned earlier, my font problem only happens on
>>> 2.17.25.  The output on 2.17.24 is fine.
>> There is no real candidate for such a difference in the
>> commits.  So did you choose a significantly different
>> directory name for building 2.17.25?
> No.  I haven't built lilypond in well over a year (maybe
> two); everything was built from a clean environment.  I just
> did a fresh build from a brand-new build dir, and the
> problem persists.  Also, the new 2.17.25 release from the
> downloads directory on the website works fine for me; it's
> only when I build the docs myself that I get this problem.
> So I'm starting to supsect that this is related to my use of
> the -j and/or CPU_COUNT options:
>
> make -j5
> make -j5 CPU_COUNT=5 doc

When I compile, I generally use -j3 CPU_COUNT=3 on a dual-core machine,
with no font issues that I've seen.

Cheers,
Colin