LyricText word-space has no effect.

Dominic

                \relative c' { c8 d e f g a b16 b c8 }
                \addlyrics { one two three four five six se -- ven eight }

}

\layout {
        \context {
                \Score
                        \override LyricText.word-space = #9

The above code should produce lyrics with a very wide spacing, but it has no effect at all. Is this a bug?

I can work around it by using LyricText.extra-spacing-width = #'(0 . value) instead, but that seems to negate the purpose of 'word-space'. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Dominic
dak

Re: LyricText word-space has no effect.

dak
Dominic <[hidden email]> writes:

> /\version "2.19.64"
>
> \score {
> <<
> \relative c' { c8 d e f g a b16 b c8 }
> \addlyrics { one two three four five six se -- ven eight }
> >>
> }
>
> \layout {
> \context {
> \Score
> \override LyricText.word-space = #9
> }
> }/
>
> The above code should produce lyrics with a very wide spacing, but it has no
> effect at all. Is this a bug?

No.  I think word-space only comes into play when there are actual
spaces like

"Et in nomine tuum aeternum"

Not when you have a lot of different syllables not containing any space
internally.

So it more or less applies to "drone notes" which are filled with
multiple syllables.

Re: LyricText word-space has no effect.

Dominic
Even here, the words within the multi-word syllable are still spaced irrespective of the 'word-space' value.

                \relative { g'1 }
                \addlyrics {
                        \override LyricText.word-space = #9
                        "Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine"

dak

Re: LyricText word-space has no effect.

dak
Dominic <[hidden email]> writes:

> Even here, the words within the multi-word syllable are still spaced
> irrespective of the 'word-space' value.
>
> \version "2.19.64"
> \score {
>         <<
>                 \relative { g'1 }
>                 \addlyrics {
> \override LyricText.word-space = #9
> "Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine"
> }
>         >>
> }
Ah, you are right: word-space is used for arranging \line etc but not
for literal " ".

So you'd see it used when writing stuff like (implicit \line):

                \relative { g'1 }
                \addlyrics {
                  \override LyricText.word-space = #9
                  \markup { Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine }