LyricExtender suicide fix

Kieren MacMillan
Hello all,

The attached file includes a hack/fix I sponsored a couple of years ago.

Any thoughts/discussion towards putting this in the codebase would be appreciated. Happy to shepherd it myself, if it's just a matter of adding this code somewhere [not in C++] and submitting a patch.

Thanks,
Kieren.

LyricExtender-fix.ly (1K) Download Attachment

Re: LyricExtender suicide fix

Alexander Kobel-2
On 2017-06-14 12:07 PM, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The attached file includes a hack/fix I sponsored a couple of years ago.
>
> Any thoughts/discussion towards putting this in the codebase would be appreciated. Happy to shepherd it myself, if it's just a matter of adding this code somewhere [not in C++] and submitting a patch.

Hi Kieren,

without looking at your snippet any closer (don't have Lily available
right here, right now): please see

https://codereview.appspot.com/313240043

This aims to be a full-stop solution to extender handling that most
probably offers a superset of your proposal, thanks to Knut's hard work.
Unfortunately, while the code is working, there are implications w.r.t.
long-term maintainability of the feature and impact to clean backend
design. David K. has (very valid) concerns there, and has it on his
todo-list - but as you know, the time he can and should devote is fairly
limited these days.

For a very easy-to-use, no-compile-time-patches-needed workaround that
still offers plenty of automation and functionality, see the
autoextenders.ily from
   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-12/msg00536.html
(I hope I pointed you to the last version).

HTH,
Alex

Re: LyricExtender suicide fix

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Alex,

> please see
> https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/4509/
> https://codereview.appspot.com/313240043
> This aims to be a full-stop solution to extender handling that most probably offers a superset of your proposal

Looks like it might be.

> For a very easy-to-use, no-compile-time-patches-needed workaround

Thanks. I believe the 'conditional-kill-lyric-extender-callback' does exactly what I want. Looking forward to seeing this functionality make it into the codebase.

Cheers,
Kieren.