Lutoslawski-style box notation

Mark Knoop-4
Just wondered if anyone has a working solution to creating Lutoslawski-style box repeats such as this one: https://goo.gl/images/TYKdWt

Mark

Re: Lutoslawski-style box notation

SoundsFromSound
On 11/3/2018 2:54 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
Just wondered if anyone has a working solution to creating Lutoslawski-style box repeats such as this one: https://goo.gl/images/TYKdWt

Mark

Hi Mark,

For a long while I was using the frameengraver21 but I remember encountering a bug and never being able to move past it since. I'm not sure what is available recently, but I am curious as well :) I would use it quite often if there was a boxed notation module.

Thank you for thinking about putting something together as well.

Parsing...

warning: type check for `FrameBracket' failed; value `#<Grob_properties>' must be of type `list'

warning: type check for `FrameExtender' failed; value `#<Grob_properties>' must be of type `list'

warning: type check for `Frame' failed; value `#<Grob_properties>' must be of type `list'

warning: unknown parent class `span-event'

warning: cannot find property type-check for `EventClasses' (translation-type?). perhaps a typing error?

warning: skipping assignment

warning: unknown parent class `span-event'

warning: cannot find property type-check for `EventClasses' (translation-type?). perhaps a typing error?

warning: skipping assignment

Interpreting music...

frameengraver21-final, master copy.ly: warning: Event class should be a list

\frameStart

frameengraver21-final, master copy.ly: warning: Event class should be a list

\frameStart

frameengraver21-final, master copy.ly: warning: Event class should be a list

\frameEnd

frameengraver21-final, master copy.ly: warning: Event class should be a list

\frameEnd

frameengraver21-final, master copy.ly: warning: Event class should be a list

\frameExtenderEnd

[...]

[8]

[...]

[16]

frameengraver21-final, master copy.ly: warning: Event class should be a list

\frameEnd

frameengraver21-final, master copy.ly: warning: Event class should be a list

\frameEnd

frameengraver21-final, master copy.ly: warning: Event class should be a list

\frameExtenderEnd

frameengraver21-final, master copy.ly: warning: Event class should be a list

\frameStart

frameengraver21-final, master copy.ly: warning: Event class should be a list

\frameEnd

frameengraver21-final, master copy.ly: warning: Event class should be a list

\frameExtenderEnd

frameengraver21-final, master copy.ly: warning: Event class should be a list

\frameExtenderEnd

Preprocessing graphical objects...

Finding the ideal number of pages...

Fitting music on 1 page...

Drawing systems...

Layout output to `./tmp-lilypond-Jz478a'...

Converting to `frameengraver21.pdf'...

Deleting `./tmp-lilypond-Jz478a'...

Success: compilation successfully completed

Completed successfully in 0.8".

composer | sound designer | asmr artist

Re: Lutoslawski-style box notation

David Nalesnik
On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 2:57 PM Ben <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just wondered if anyone has a working solution to creating Lutoslawski-style box repeats such as this one: https://goo.gl/images/TYKdWt

> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>

> Hi Mark,
>
> For a long while I was using the frameengraver21 but I remember encountering a bug and never being able to move past it since. I'm not sure what is available recently, but I am curious as well :) I would use it quite often if there was a boxed notation module.

The solution to this error has come up several times on the list.
Searching "must be type `list'" returns

https://www.mail-archive.com/lilypond-user@.../msg117642.html

You can also find the FrameEngraver code in that thread.

Best,
David

On 11/3/2018 4:16 PM, David Nalesnik wrote:
On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 2:57 PM Ben [hidden email] wrote:
On 11/3/2018 2:54 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

Just wondered if anyone has a working solution to creating Lutoslawski-style box repeats such as this one: https://goo.gl/images/TYKdWt

Mark

Hi Mark,

For a long while I was using the frameengraver21 but I remember encountering a bug and never being able to move past it since. I'm not sure what is available recently, but I am curious as well :) I would use it quite often if there was a boxed notation module.
The solution to this error has come up several times on the list.
Searching "must be type `list'" returns

https://www.mail-archive.com/lilypond-user@.../msg117642.html

You can also find the FrameEngraver code in that thread.

Best,
David

Thank you David! Not sure how I missed that...

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 3:21 PM Ben <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/3/2018 4:16 PM, David Nalesnik wrote:
>
> On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 2:57 PM Ben <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just wondered if anyone has a working solution to creating Lutoslawski-style box repeats such as this one: https://goo.gl/images/TYKdWt

> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>

> Hi Mark,
>
> For a long while I was using the frameengraver21 but I remember encountering a bug and never being able to move past it since. I'm not sure what is available recently, but I am curious as well :) I would use it quite often if there was a boxed notation module.
>
> The solution to this error has come up several times on the list.
> Searching "must be type `list'" returns
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/lilypond-user@.../msg117642.html
>
> You can also find the FrameEngraver code in that thread.
>
> Best,
> David
>

> Thank you David! Not sure how I missed that...

Easy enough--the archives are not a good place to version-control
code!  I think I finally need to put this stuff up on GitHub so
there's an easy place to find the "latest" version (which I will need
search the list archives to discover...)

David

On 11/3/2018 4:25 PM, David Nalesnik wrote:
[...]

David,

Sorry to bother but I'm afraid I can't get it to work (and I didn't find it on GitHub btw)

I found the section of the file to modify

#(define my-grob-descriptions '())

#(define (add-grob-definition grob-name grob-entry)
   (let* ((meta-entry   (assoc-get 'meta grob-entry))
          (class        (assoc-get 'class meta-entry))
          (ifaces-entry (assoc-get 'interfaces meta-entry)))
     (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type? list?)

...but replacing with the code from the archive still isn't working :(

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% ADD NEW GROB DEFINITIONS %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

#(define (add-grob-definition grob-name grob-entry)
   (let* ((meta-entry   (assoc-get 'meta grob-entry))
          (class        (assoc-get 'class meta-entry))
          (ifaces-entry (assoc-get 'interfaces meta-entry)))
     (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type? ly:grob-properties?) ;;
NB!!

[...]

Here are the files I am working with - I tried to make the change but still no dice. When you get a minute, could you take a look and tell me what is wrong with these files? As of now, I cannot even run frameEngraver25 it flat out crashes LilyPond every time. frameEngraver21 doesn't crash but does have those list-return errors to prevent it from working as well.

Thank you!

frameEngraver21.ly (25K) Download Attachment
frameEngraver25.ly (29K) Download Attachment
frameEngraver-bars-and-boxes.ily (43K) Download Attachment
composer | sound designer | asmr artist

Re: Lutoslawski-style box notation

Thomas Morley-2
Am Sa., 3. Nov. 2018 um 21:36 Uhr schrieb Ben <[hidden email]>:

> On 11/3/2018 4:25 PM, David Nalesnik wrote:
>
> On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 3:21 PM Ben <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 11/3/2018 4:16 PM, David Nalesnik wrote:
>
> On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 2:57 PM Ben <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just wondered if anyone has a working solution to creating Lutoslawski-style box repeats such as this one: https://goo.gl/images/TYKdWt

> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>

> Hi Mark,
>
> For a long while I was using the frameengraver21 but I remember encountering a bug and never being able to move past it since. I'm not sure what is available recently, but I am curious as well :) I would use it quite often if there was a boxed notation module.
>
> The solution to this error has come up several times on the list.
> Searching "must be type `list'" returns
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/lilypond-user@.../msg117642.html
>
> You can also find the FrameEngraver code in that thread.
>
> Best,
> David
>

> Thank you David! Not sure how I missed that...
>
> Easy enough--the archives are not a good place to version-control
> code!  I think I finally need to put this stuff up on GitHub so
> there's an easy place to find the "latest" version (which I will need
> search the list archives to discover...)
>
> David
>

> David,
>
> Sorry to bother but I'm afraid I can't get it to work (and I didn't find it on GitHub btw)
>
> I found the section of the file to modify
>
> #(define my-grob-descriptions '())
>
> #(define (add-grob-definition grob-name grob-entry)
>    (let* ((meta-entry   (assoc-get 'meta grob-entry))
>           (class        (assoc-get 'class meta-entry))
>           (ifaces-entry (assoc-get 'interfaces meta-entry)))
>      (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type? list?)
>
> ...but replacing with the code from the archive still isn't working :(
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% ADD NEW GROB DEFINITIONS %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> #(define (add-grob-definition grob-name grob-entry)
>    (let* ((meta-entry   (assoc-get 'meta grob-entry))
>           (class        (assoc-get 'class meta-entry))
>           (ifaces-entry (assoc-get 'interfaces meta-entry)))
>      (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type? ly:grob-properties?) ;;
> NB!!
Additionally, at CREATE NEW EVENT CLASSES replace with:

#(define-event-class 'frame-event 'span-event)
#(define-event-class 'frame-extender-event 'span-event)

The modified file's attached. Works for me.

Cheers,
  Harm

frameEngraver-bars-and-boxes.ly (44K) Download Attachment

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 4:11 PM Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Sa., 3. Nov. 2018 um 21:36 Uhr schrieb Ben <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > On 11/3/2018 4:25 PM, David Nalesnik wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 3:21 PM Ben <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 11/3/2018 4:16 PM, David Nalesnik wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 2:57 PM Ben <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 11/3/2018 2:54 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > Just wondered if anyone has a working solution to creating Lutoslawski-style box repeats such as this one: https://goo.gl/images/TYKdWt

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mark
> >

> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > For a long while I was using the frameengraver21 but I remember encountering a bug and never being able to move past it since. I'm not sure what is available recently, but I am curious as well :) I would use it quite often if there was a boxed notation module.
> >
> > The solution to this error has come up several times on the list.
> > Searching "must be type `list'" returns
> >
> > https://www.mail-archive.com/lilypond-user@.../msg117642.html
> >
> > You can also find the FrameEngraver code in that thread.
> >
> > Best,
> > David
> >

> > Thank you David! Not sure how I missed that...
> >
> > Easy enough--the archives are not a good place to version-control
> > code!  I think I finally need to put this stuff up on GitHub so
> > there's an easy place to find the "latest" version (which I will need
> > search the list archives to discover...)
> >
> > David
> >

> > David,
> >
> > Sorry to bother but I'm afraid I can't get it to work (and I didn't find it on GitHub btw)
> >
> > I found the section of the file to modify
> >
> > #(define my-grob-descriptions '())
> >
> > #(define (add-grob-definition grob-name grob-entry)
> >    (let* ((meta-entry   (assoc-get 'meta grob-entry))
> >           (class        (assoc-get 'class meta-entry))
> >           (ifaces-entry (assoc-get 'interfaces meta-entry)))
> >      (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type? list?)
> >
> > ...but replacing with the code from the archive still isn't working :(
> >
> > %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% ADD NEW GROB DEFINITIONS %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> >
> > #(define (add-grob-definition grob-name grob-entry)
> >    (let* ((meta-entry   (assoc-get 'meta grob-entry))
> >           (class        (assoc-get 'class meta-entry))
> >           (ifaces-entry (assoc-get 'interfaces meta-entry)))
> >      (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type? ly:grob-properties?) ;;
> > NB!!
>
> Additionally, at CREATE NEW EVENT CLASSES replace with:
>
> #(define-event-class 'frame-event 'span-event)
> #(define-event-class 'frame-extender-event 'span-event)
>
> The modified file's attached. Works for me.

And a working file + example is now on GitHub:
https://github.com/davidnalesnik/frame-engraver

No warranties or guarantees :)

Best,
David

=?UTF-8?Q?2018-11-03_17=5f43=5f40-Page_not_found_=c2=b7_GitHub.png?= (196K) Download Attachment

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 4:28 PM David Nalesnik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 4:11 PM Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Am Sa., 3. Nov. 2018 um 21:36 Uhr schrieb Ben <[hidden email]>:
> > >
> > > On 11/3/2018 4:25 PM, David Nalesnik wrote:
> > >
> > > On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 3:21 PM Ben <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > On 11/3/2018 4:16 PM, David Nalesnik wrote:
> > >
> > > On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 2:57 PM Ben <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > On 11/3/2018 2:54 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> > >
> > > Just wondered if anyone has a working solution to creating Lutoslawski-style box repeats such as this one: https://goo.gl/images/TYKdWt

> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Mark
> > >

> > > Hi Mark,
> > >
> > > For a long while I was using the frameengraver21 but I remember encountering a bug and never being able to move past it since. I'm not sure what is available recently, but I am curious as well :) I would use it quite often if there was a boxed notation module.
> > >
> > > The solution to this error has come up several times on the list.
> > > Searching "must be type `list'" returns
> > >
> > > https://www.mail-archive.com/lilypond-user@.../msg117642.html
> > >
> > > You can also find the FrameEngraver code in that thread.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > David
> > >

> > > Thank you David! Not sure how I missed that...
> > >
> > > Easy enough--the archives are not a good place to version-control
> > > code!  I think I finally need to put this stuff up on GitHub so
> > > there's an easy place to find the "latest" version (which I will need
> > > search the list archives to discover...)
> > >
> > > David
> > >

> > > David,
> > >
> > > Sorry to bother but I'm afraid I can't get it to work (and I didn't find it on GitHub btw)
> > >
> > > I found the section of the file to modify
> > >
> > > #(define my-grob-descriptions '())
> > >
> > > #(define (add-grob-definition grob-name grob-entry)
> > >    (let* ((meta-entry   (assoc-get 'meta grob-entry))
> > >           (class        (assoc-get 'class meta-entry))
> > >           (ifaces-entry (assoc-get 'interfaces meta-entry)))
> > >      (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type? list?)
> > >
> > > ...but replacing with the code from the archive still isn't working :(
> > >
> > > %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% ADD NEW GROB DEFINITIONS %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> > >
> > > #(define (add-grob-definition grob-name grob-entry)
> > >    (let* ((meta-entry   (assoc-get 'meta grob-entry))
> > >           (class        (assoc-get 'class meta-entry))
> > >           (ifaces-entry (assoc-get 'interfaces meta-entry)))
> > >      (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type? ly:grob-properties?) ;;
> > > NB!!
> >
> > Additionally, at CREATE NEW EVENT CLASSES replace with:
> >
> > #(define-event-class 'frame-event 'span-event)
> > #(define-event-class 'frame-extender-event 'span-event)
> >
> > The modified file's attached. Works for me.
> >

> And a working file + example is now on GitHub:
> https://github.com/davidnalesnik/frame-engraver
>
> No warranties or guarantees :)

And, no :(  I removed it from GitHub, because I simply do not
understand how I would license such a thing, give proper
acknowledgement to LilyPond.  It quotes code from LilyPond internals,
and before I put something up on GitHub I would need to make sure I'm
not violating the terms of LilyPond's license.

Sorry, I apologize about that.

David

On 11/3/2018 5:11 PM, Thomas Morley wrote:
[...]

Hmmm, I am getting closer here. I was using the previous frameEngraver25 but now I've try combining them into one file for testing. I took the file Harm just shared here, with the example code from frameEngraver25 itself - and I attached the combined file to this email. Do you know why the compressing over-full page error is occurring?

I've made no modifications myself, just used the frameEngraver25 example code + Harm's file from the previous email with the new event classes, etc.

Thank you so much!

frameEngraver-bars-and-boxes_v25combined.ly (34K) Download Attachment
composer | sound designer | asmr artist

Re: Lutoslawski-style box notation

Andrew Bernard
Hi David,

Isn't Lilypond open source? Cant you make your code open source? I am not following your idea.

Andrew

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 7:23 PM Andrew Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Isn't Lilypond open source? Cant you make your code open source? I am not following your idea.
>
> Andrew
>

>> And, no :(  I removed it from GitHub, because I simply do not
>> understand how I would license such a thing, give proper
>> acknowledgement to LilyPond.  It quotes code from LilyPond internals,
>> and before I put something up on GitHub I would need to make sure I'm
>> not violating the terms of LilyPond's license.

Re: Lutoslawski-style box notation

Andrew Bernard
Hi David,

In the license directory where all the open source licenses are provided, lilypond is clearly using GPL 3. That's open source.

If you follow that. I cant see the difficulty.

Andrew

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 7:24 PM David Nalesnik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 7:23 PM Andrew Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi David,
> >
> > Isn't Lilypond open source? Cant you make your code open source? I am not following your idea.
> >
> > Andrew
> >

> >> And, no :(  I removed it from GitHub, because I simply do not
> >> understand how I would license such a thing, give proper
> >> acknowledgement to LilyPond.  It quotes code from LilyPond internals,
> >> and before I put something up on GitHub I would need to make sure I'm
> >> not violating the terms of LilyPond's license.

Oops, sorry about the empty response.

Sure, yes, I just want to make sure that I release it under the right
license (I suppose it must be GPLed) and include whatever I must
relative to LilyPond coverage by the GPL .  I just jumped the gun,
that's all.

David

At 19:28 on 03 Nov 2018, David Nalesnik wrote:
>Oops, sorry about the empty response.
>
>Sure, yes, I just want to make sure that I release it under the right
>license (I suppose it must be GPLed) and include whatever I must
>relative to LilyPond coverage by the GPL .  I just jumped the gun,
>that's all.

Thanks David, Harm, and Ben for reminding me of the frameEngraver - this is exactly what I need. And yes, David, it would be great to have all your code available somewhere, I hope you can work out the best way to do this.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Lutoslawski-style box notation

Thomas Morley-2
Am So., 4. Nov. 2018 um 01:30 Uhr schrieb David Nalesnik
<[hidden email]>:

> On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 7:24 PM David Nalesnik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 7:23 PM Andrew Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi David,
> > >
> > > Isn't Lilypond open source? Cant you make your code open source? I am not following your idea.
> > >
> > > Andrew

> Oops, sorry about the empty response.
>
> Sure, yes, I just want to make sure that I release it under the right
> license (I suppose it must be GPLed) and include whatever I must
> relative to LilyPond coverage by the GPL .  I just jumped the gun,
> that's all.
>
> David

Hi David,

is it really an issue I have to think about licenses as soon as I use
some lily-internals?
For example, whenever I propose a callback with some condition using
'ly:grob-set-property!' and the like...

In a worst scenario that would drop any user support other than:
"RTFM" (or more polite: it's in the docs, look "here".)
Or
"It's not in the docs, please file a bug report."
Or
"You could do like below [...]. Please accept my licence: <what-ever-license>"

Really?

Best,
  Harm

On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 6:09 AM Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am So., 4. Nov. 2018 um 01:30 Uhr schrieb David Nalesnik
> <[hidden email]>:

> > Oops, sorry about the empty response.
> >
> > Sure, yes, I just want to make sure that I release it under the right
> > license (I suppose it must be GPLed) and include whatever I must
> > relative to LilyPond coverage by the GPL .  I just jumped the gun,
> > that's all.
> >
> > David
>
> Hi David,
>
> is it really an issue I have to think about licenses as soon as I use
> some lily-internals?
> For example, whenever I propose a callback with some condition using
> 'ly:grob-set-property!' and the like...
>
> In a worst scenario that would drop any user support other than:
> "RTFM" (or more polite: it's in the docs, look "here".)
> Or
> "It's not in the docs, please file a bug report."
> Or
> "You could do like below [...]. Please accept my licence: <what-ever-license>"
>
> Really?

Hi Harm,

<IANAL>
But I think we're talking about different things.  You're talking
about communications on an official channel connected with the
project.  I'm talking about posting code which modifies LilyPond on a
third-party forum -- GitHub.
</IANAL>

Best,
David