Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

ptoye
I'm slowly working my way through CG Section 2.1, but have reached an impasse. In "Configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox". Step 1 tells me to "install Guest Addition...". That's been changed to "Insert..." but that's obvious. The VBoxGuestAdditions.iso CD is in the virtual drive, but it seems but there's no autorun, and clicking on it merely asks if I want to eject it.

It looks as if there's a step missing, as the CD doesn't seem to be mounted in the file system, which would explain everything. But I'm not sure (as a Linux newbie) where to look for it.

If someone could help I'd be most grateful. I realise that this mailing list isn't for support, but it seemed more relevant than the user mailing list.

 
Regards,

Peter
mailto:[hidden email]
www.ptoye.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

Michael Käppler-2
Hi Peter,

Am 18.01.2020 um 13:40 schrieb Peter Toye:
> I'm slowly working my way through CG Section 2.1, but have reached an impasse. In "Configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox". Step 1 tells me to "install Guest Addition...". That's been changed to "Insert..." but that's obvious. The VBoxGuestAdditions.iso CD is in the virtual drive, but it seems but there's no autorun, and clicking on it merely asks if I want to eject it.
>
> It looks as if there's a step missing, as the CD doesn't seem to be mounted in the file system, which would explain everything. But I'm not sure (as a Linux newbie) where to look for it.
You won't need that. The guest additions have been incorporated into
LilyDev.
My patch for the CG will reflect this change.
If you have problems resizing the VM window to full size, try to change
the Display->Graphics controller to VBoxVGA in VirtualBox settings.
You can activate clipboard sharing in General->Advanced->Bidirectional.

Cheers,
Michael

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

ptoye
In reply to this post by ptoye
Reposted with additions:


I'm slowly working my way through CG Section 2.1, but have reached an impasse. In "Configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox". Step 1 tells me to "install Guest Addition...". That's been changed to "Insert..." but that's obvious. The VBoxGuestAdditions.iso CD is in the virtual drive, but it seems but there's no autorun, and clicking on it merely asks if I want to eject it.

I've now worked out how to mount the CD, and I followed the instructions in the VirtualBox FAQ page to install the missing bits. But when I try to install the Guest Additions it says they're already installed. has the LilyDev distro changed to include the Guest Additions? Because, if so, I can't get the shared clipboard to work, and that's rather necessary for my setup.



If someone could help I'd be most grateful. I realise that this mailing list isn't for support, but it seemed more relevant than the user mailing list.

Peter
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

Michael Käppler-2

Am 20.01.2020 um 10:34 schrieb Peter Toye:
> Reposted with additions:
>
>
> I'm slowly working my way through CG Section 2.1, but have reached an impasse. In "Configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox". Step 1 tells me to "install Guest Addition...". That's been changed to "Insert..." but that's obvious. The VBoxGuestAdditions.iso CD is in the virtual drive, but it seems but there's no autorun, and clicking on it merely asks if I want to eject it.
>
> I've now worked out how to mount the CD, and I followed the instructions in the VirtualBox FAQ page to install the missing bits. But when I try to install the Guest Additions it says they're already installed. has the LilyDev distro changed to include the Guest Additions? Because, if so, I can't get the shared clipboard to work, and that's rather necessary for my setup.
>
>

Hi Peter, I did answer almost immediately:

>
> Am 18.01.2020 um 13:40 schrieb Peter Toye:
>> I'm slowly working my way through CG Section 2.1, but have reached an
>> impasse. In "Configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox". Step 1 tells me to
>> "install Guest Addition...". That's been changed to "Insert..." but
>> that's obvious. The VBoxGuestAdditions.iso CD is in the virtual
>> drive, but it seems but there's no autorun, and clicking on it merely
>> asks if I want to eject it.
>>
>> It looks as if there's a step missing, as the CD doesn't seem to be
>> mounted in the file system, which would explain everything. But I'm
>> not sure (as a Linux newbie) where to look for it.
> You won't need that. The guest additions have been incorporated into
> LilyDev.
> My patch for the CG will reflect this change.
> If you have problems resizing the VM window to full size, try to change
> the Display->Graphics controller to VBoxVGA in VirtualBox settings.
> You can activate clipboard sharing in General->Advanced->Bidirectional.

So it seems you did not receive my response?
I did only reply to the list, but you should have received it, anyway.

Cheers,
Michael


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

ptoye
Monday, January 20, 2020, 9:46:58 AM, Michael Käppler wrote:



Am 20.01.2020 um 10:34 schrieb Peter Toye:

Reposted with additions:


I'm slowly working my way through CG Section 2.1, but have reached an impasse. In "Configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox". Step 1 tells me to "install Guest Addition...". That's been changed to "Insert..." but that's obvious. The VBoxGuestAdditions.iso CD is in the virtual drive, but it seems but there's no autorun, and clicking on it merely asks if I want to eject it.

I've now worked out how to mount the CD, and I followed the instructions in the VirtualBox FAQ page to install the missing bits. But when I try to install the Guest Additions it says they're already installed. has the LilyDev distro changed to include the Guest Additions? Because, if so, I can't get the shared clipboard to work, and that's rather necessary for my setup.



Hi Peter, I did answer almost immediately:


Am 18.01.2020 um 13:40 schrieb Peter Toye:

I'm slowly working my way through CG Section 2.1, but have reached an impasse. In "Configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox". Step 1 tells me to "install Guest Addition...". That's been changed to "Insert..." but that's obvious. The VBoxGuestAdditions.iso CD is in the virtual drive, but it seems but there's no autorun, and clicking on it merely asks if I want to eject it.

It looks as if there's a step missing, as the CD doesn't seem to be mounted in the file system, which would explain everything. But I'm not sure (as a Linux newbie) where to look for it.
You won't need that. The guest additions have been incorporated into
LilyDev.
My patch for the CG will reflect this change.
If you have problems resizing the VM window to full size, try to change
the Display->Graphics controller to VBoxVGA in VirtualBox settings.
You can activate clipboard sharing in General->Advanced->Bidirectional.

So it seems you did not receive my response?
I did only reply to the list, but you should have received it, anyway.

No, I didn't receive it. And it's not in my junk mailbox either, so it must have disappeared entirely. That's a nuisance.

Clipboard was already activated as bidirectional. But it's not working. I copied text from Lilydev but there was nothing in the host (Windows) clipboard. I copied text from the host, and the Lilydev clipboard had what I just copied from Lilydev. So it seems that the clipboards aren't integrating. Or am I doing something wrong?

As it seems that you are keeping the CG up to date there's no point in my trying to help. We'll just get in each other's way.


Cheers,
Michael



All the best,

Peter
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

Michael Käppler-2
Am 20.01.2020 um 11:08 schrieb Peter Toye:
> Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox
> No, I didn't receive it. And it's not in my junk mailbox either, so it
> must have disappeared entirely. That's a nuisance.
>
> Clipboard was already activated as bidirectional. But it's not
> working. I copied text from Lilydev but there was nothing in the host
> (Windows) clipboard. I copied text from the host, and the Lilydev
> clipboard had what I just copied from Lilydev. So it seems that the
> clipboards aren't integrating. Or am I doing something wrong?
Hmm...weird. Could you please check if the virtual box modules are loaded
with
lsmod | grep vbox
Which VirtualBox version do you use? What is you host OS?

>
> As it seems that you are keeping the CG up to date there's no point in
> my trying to help. We'll just get in each other's way.
No, definitely not! Your help is very much appreciated!
When LilyDev v2 will be out and the CG patch is in review (in a few
days, maybe), it would be great if you could
walk your way through the install steps again and comment on every
ambiguity you noticed.
And after that there will be >many< further sections in the CG that
would deserve further clarification / extension.

Cheers,
Michael
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

ptoye
Michael,

I have to go out now - will reply this afternoon (UK time).

Best regards,

Peter
mailto:[hidden email]
www.ptoye.com

-------------------------
Monday, January 20, 2020, 10:26:55 AM, Michael Käppler wrote:

> Am 20.01.2020 um 11:08 schrieb Peter Toye:
>> Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox
>> No, I didn't receive it. And it's not in my junk mailbox either, so it
>> must have disappeared entirely. That's a nuisance.

>> Clipboard was already activated as bidirectional. But it's not
>> working. I copied text from Lilydev but there was nothing in the host
>> (Windows) clipboard. I copied text from the host, and the Lilydev
>> clipboard had what I just copied from Lilydev. So it seems that the
>> clipboards aren't integrating. Or am I doing something wrong?
> Hmm...weird. Could you please check if the
> virtual box modules are loaded
> with
> lsmod | grep vbox
> Which VirtualBox version do you use? What is you host OS?


>> As it seems that you are keeping the CG up to date there's no point in
>> my trying to help. We'll just get in each other's way.
> No, definitely not! Your help is very much appreciated!
> When LilyDev v2 will be out and the CG patch is in review (in a few
> days, maybe), it would be great if you could
> walk your way through the install steps again and comment on every
> ambiguity you noticed.
> And after that there will be >many< further sections in the CG that
> would deserve further clarification / extension.

> Cheers,
> Michael
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

ptoye
In reply to this post by Michael Käppler-2
Monday, January 20, 2020, 10:26:55 AM, you wrote:


Am 20.01.2020 um 11:08 schrieb Peter Toye:

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

Hmm...weird. Could you please check if the virtual box modules are loaded
with
lsmod | grep vbox
Which VirtualBox version do you use? What is you host OS?

lsmod gives: vboxguest 294912 0

VirtualBox 6.1
Windows 10 Home update 1903

Hope this helps.



As it seems that you are keeping the CG up to date there's no point in my trying to help. We'll just get in each other's way.
No, definitely not! Your help is very much appreciated!
When LilyDev v2 will be out and the CG patch is in review (in a few days, maybe), it would be great if you could
walk your way through the install steps again and comment on every ambiguity you noticed.
And after that there will be >many< further sections in the CG that would deserve further clarification / extension.

Cheers,
Michael


Thanks,

Peter
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

Michael Käppler-2
Am 20.01.2020 um 16:04 schrieb Peter Toye:

> Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox Monday,
> January 20, 2020, 10:26:55 AM, you wrote:
>
>
> Am 20.01.2020 um 11:08 schrieb Peter Toye:
>
> Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox
>
>
> Hmm...weird. Could you please check if the virtual box modules are loaded
> with
> lsmod | grep vbox
> Which VirtualBox version do you use? What is you host OS?
>
> lsmod gives: vboxguest        294912        0
There should be some more kernel modules running.
Please try reinstalling the guest additions at first with:
sudo apt install --reinstall virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-x11
virtualbox-guest-utils
Then reboot your virtual machine. If that does not work, please
post the output of

ps aux | grep '/usr/bin/VBoxClient --clipboard'

so that we can see if the shared clipboard service is running

Best regards,
Michael
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

ptoye
Monday, January 20, 2020, 10:24:13 PM, you wrote:


Am 20.01.2020 um 16:04 schrieb Peter Toye:

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox
Monday, January 20, 2020, 10:26:55 AM, you wrote:


Am 20.01.2020 um 11:08 schrieb Peter Toye:

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

Hmm...weird. Could you please check if the virtual box modules are loaded
with
lsmod | grep vbox
Which VirtualBox version do you use? What is you host OS?

lsmod gives: vboxguest        294912        0
There should be some more kernel modules running.
Please try reinstalling the guest additions at first with:
sudo apt install --reinstall virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-x11 virtualbox-guest-utils

That didn't work: got a message:

E: Command line option 'r' [from -reinstall] is not understood in combination with the other options.

Then reboot your virtual machine. If that does not work, please
post the output of

ps aux | grep '/usr/bin/VBoxClient --clipboard'

Without rebooting (there didn't seem much point) I got:

dev 701 0.0 0.0 11108 932 pts/0 S+ 11:10 0:00 grep /usr/bin/VBoxClient --clipboard

which I guess is the process that I just ran.


so that we can see if the shared clipboard service is running

Best regards,
Michael

All the best,

Peter
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

Michael Käppler-2
Am 21.01.2020 um 11:13 schrieb Peter Toye:

> Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox Monday,
> January 20, 2020, 10:24:13 PM, you wrote:
>
>
> Am 20.01.2020 um 16:04 schrieb Peter Toye:
>
> Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox
>
> Monday, January 20, 2020, 10:26:55 AM, you wrote:
>
>
> Am 20.01.2020 um 11:08 schrieb Peter Toye:
>
> Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox
>
>
> Hmm...weird. Could you please check if the virtual box modules are loaded
> with
> lsmod | grep vbox
> Which VirtualBox version do you use? What is you host OS?
>
> lsmod gives: vboxguest        294912        0
> There should be some more kernel modules running.
> Please try reinstalling the guest additions at first with:
> sudo apt install --reinstall virtualbox-guest-dkms
> virtualbox-guest-x11 virtualbox-guest-utils
>
> That didn't work: got a message:
>
> E: Command line option 'r' [from -reinstall] is not understood in
> combination with the other options.
Seems you accidentally omitted one dash (should be --reinstall, not
-reinstall)

>
> Then reboot your virtual machine. If that does not work, please
> post the output of
>
> ps aux | grep '/usr/bin/VBoxClient --clipboard'
>
> Without rebooting (there didn't seem much point) I got:
>
> dev        701        0.0        0.0        11108        932  pts/0  
>      S+        11:10        0:00 grep /usr/bin/VBoxClient --clipboard
>
> which I guess is the process that I just ran.
>
>
> so that we can see if the shared clipboard service is running
>
> Best regards,
> Michael
>
> All the best,
>
> Peter

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

ptoye
Tuesday, January 21, 2020, 6:24:25 PM, Michael Käppler wrote:


Am 21.01.2020 um 11:13 schrieb Peter Toye:

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox
Monday, January 20, 2020, 10:24:13 PM, you wrote:


Am 20.01.2020 um 16:04 schrieb Peter Toye:

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox
Monday, January 20, 2020, 10:26:55 AM, you wrote:


Am 20.01.2020 um 11:08 schrieb Peter Toye:

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

Hmm...weird. Could you please check if the virtual box modules are loaded
with
lsmod | grep vbox
Which VirtualBox version do you use? What is you host OS?

lsmod gives: vboxguest        294912        0
There should be some more kernel modules running.
Please try reinstalling the guest additions at first with:
sudo apt install --reinstall virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-x11 virtualbox-guest-utils

That didn't work: got a message:

E: Command line option 'r' [from -reinstall] is not understood in combination with the other options.
Seems you accidentally omitted one dash (should be --reinstall, not -reinstall)

Oops - the problems of not being able to do cut-and-paste between machines. On my terminal the two '-'s merged into one.

That command produced a load of output. Maybe I should have redirected it to a file.


Then reboot your virtual machine. If that does not work, please
post the output of

ps aux | grep '/usr/bin/VBoxClient --clipboard'

This time after the reboot I got the same result. No sharing of clipboard, no more processes. Tried closing VBox and restarting it, but same result.

There's one slight oddity: often (but not always) when booting the LilyDev guest I get an error message - a bit too long to copy the text so here's a screenshot:



I don't know if it's significant. It doesn't change the clipboard behaviour.



Without rebooting (there didn't seem much point) I got:

dev        701        0.0        0.0        11108        932        pts/0        S+        11:10        0:00 grep /usr/bin/VBoxClient --clipboard

which I guess is the process that I just ran.


so that we can see if the shared clipboard service is running

Best regards,
Michael

All the best,

Peter

It's possible that my hamfisted attempts to install LilyDev as a guest without all the instructions has screwed something up. I could start again tomorrow using the instructions you sent me and see if it makes any difference.

Best regards,

Peter

   
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

Michael Käppler-2

Am 21.01.2020 um 20:44 schrieb Peter Toye:
> Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox
> This time after the reboot I got the same result. No sharing of
> clipboard, no more processes. Tried closing VBox and restarting it,
> but same result.
Try to start the client manually and see what happens:
/usr/bin/VBoxClient --clipboard

>
> There's one slight oddity: often (but not always) when booting the
> LilyDev guest I get an error message - a bit too long to copy the text
> so here's a screenshot:
>
>
>
> I don't know if it's significant. It doesn't change the clipboard
> behaviour.
 From time to time, this happens on my machine, too.
I thought it would be a problem specific to my combination of VirtualBox
version / host os
and guest os, but if you encounter the same problem it could be a
general issue.
> It's possible that my hamfisted attempts to install LilyDev as a guest
> without all the instructions has screwed something up. I could start
> again tomorrow using the instructions you sent me and see if it makes
> any difference.
Yes, I would suggest that you start from scratch again.

Best regards,
Michael

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

ptoye
Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 6:43:48 AM, Michael Käppler wrote:


> Am 21.01.2020 um 20:44 schrieb Peter Toye:
>> Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox
>> This time after the reboot I got the same result. No sharing of
>> clipboard, no more processes. Tried closing VBox and restarting it,
>> but same result.
> Try to start the client manually and see what happens:
> /usr/bin/VBoxClient --clipboard

>>
>> There's one slight oddity: often (but not always) when booting the
>> LilyDev guest I get an error message - a bit too long to copy the text
>> so here's a screenshot:
>>
>> I don't know if it's significant. It doesn't change the clipboard
>> behaviour.
>  From time to time, this happens on my machine, too.
> I thought it would be a problem specific to my
> combination of VirtualBox
> version / host os
> and guest os, but if you encounter the same problem it could be a
> general issue.

It's not important as long as it's not significant. I thought it might be affecting the boot process.

>> It's possible that my hamfisted attempts to install LilyDev as a guest
>> without all the instructions has screwed something up. I could start
>> again tomorrow using the instructions you sent me and see if it makes
>> any difference.
> Yes, I would suggest that you start from scratch again.

I made a new guest machine using your instructions. There are a few issues here:
 
Step 3: the file names are LilyDev-1-debian-vm and the raw fle is .iso not .raw

Step11: I got an error from the command:
[dev@LilyDev:~]$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-layout
[sudo] password for dev:
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
debconf: (No usable dialog-like program is installed, so the dialog based frontend cannot be used. at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Dialog.pm line 76.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
dpkg-query: package 'keyboard-layout' is not installed and no information is available
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: keyboard-layout is not installed
[dev@LilyDev:~]$    

So I used the mechanism in the current CG Step 8 to change the keyboard - probably a better idea and more user-friendly. Unless, of course, the clipboard is working.

After all that I tried your idea of starting the clipboard manually - it worked!! Or I'd never have managed to get the above text right :)

So the basic question is: why isn't it starting up? I used to be a Solaris sysadmin, but that ended 20 years ago and my copy of Frisch is long gone.

> Best regards,
> Michael



Best regards,

Peter

   
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

Michael Käppler-2
Am 22.01.2020 um 14:03 schrieb Peter Toye:
> Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox
> > Yes, I would suggest that you start from scratch again.
>
> I made a new guest machine using your instructions. There are a few
> issues here:
>
> Step 3: the file names are LilyDev-1-debian-vm and the raw fle is
> .iso not .raw
Thanks, I fixed this.

>
> Step11: I got an error from the command:
> [dev@LilyDev:~]$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-layout
> [sudo] password for dev:
> debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
> debconf: (No usable dialog-like program is installed, so the dialog
> based frontend cannot be used. at
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Dialog.pm line 76.)
> debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
> dpkg-query: package 'keyboard-layout' is not installed and no
> information is available
> Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
> and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
> /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: keyboard-layout is not installed
> [dev@LilyDev:~]$
>
> So I used the mechanism in the current CG Step 8 to change the
> keyboard - probably a better idea and more user-friendly. Unless, of
> course, the clipboard is working.
That's because the keyboard-layout package is not installed in LilyDev
v1 by default. In LilyDev v2, it will be there.
>
> After all that I tried your idea of starting the clipboard manually -
> it worked!! Or I'd never have managed to get the above text right :)
>
> So the basic question is: why isn't it starting up? I used to be a
> Solaris sysadmin, but that ended 20 years ago and my copy of Frisch is
> long gone.
I don't really know because I can't reproduce this behaviour on my machine.

Best regards,
Michael

>
> > Best regards,
> > Michael
>
>
>
> Best regards,
>
> Peter
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

ptoye
Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 10:35:45 PM, Michael Käppler wrote:


Am 22.01.2020 um 14:03 schrieb Peter Toye:

> Yes, I would suggest that you start from scratch again.

That's because the keyboard-layout package is not installed in LilyDev v1 by default. In LilyDev v2, it will be there.

I hadn't realised that your new instructions were for the next issue of LilyDev. Are there any other missing bits? I noticed that some of the utilities for listing hardware like lsusb aren't there.



So the basic question is: why isn't it starting up? I used to be a Solaris sysadmin, but that ended 20 years ago and my copy of Frisch is long gone.
I don't really know because I can't reproduce this behaviour on my machine.

Oh dear. It looks as if I'll have to work out how to do it myself. I know there's a way of starting up programs on boot, but I've completely forgotten what it is. Will do some research.


Best regards,

Peter

   
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

Federico Bruni-2


Il giorno gio 23 gen 2020 alle 10:45, Peter Toye <[hidden email]>
ha scritto:

> Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 10:35:45 PM, Michael Käppler wrote:
>
>
> Am 22.01.2020 um 14:03 schrieb Peter Toye:
>
>>  Yes, I would suggest that you start from scratch again.
>
> That's because the keyboard-layout package is not installed in
> LilyDev v1 by default. In LilyDev v2, it will be there.
>
> I hadn't realised that your new instructions were for the next issue
> of LilyDev. Are there any other missing bits? I noticed that some of
> the utilities for listing hardware like lsusb aren't there.
>
>

If it helps, I can release v2 tomorrow.
Michael, let me know if you have other PRs to send.


>
> So the basic question is: why isn't it starting up? I used to be a
> Solaris sysadmin, but that ended 20 years ago and my copy of Frisch
> is long gone.
> I don't really know because I can't reproduce this behaviour on my
> machine.
>

Peter, I skipped most of your previous emails because of the poor
quoting which made them unreadable.
Now the quoting is correct and I'm reading again.
What is not starting up?


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

Michael Käppler-2
Am 23.01.2020 um 12:11 schrieb Federico Bruni:
> If it helps, I can release v2 tomorrow.
> Michael, let me know if you have other PRs to send.
Yes, I have some, but did not have the time to test them thoroughly.
But they are completely unrelated to Peter's recent problems.
I'd like to to test Dan's changes relating to Docker, too, but
did not found enough time.
My PRs would also fit into v3, IMHO, so I'm completely happy
with a v2 release tomorrow. Then I can post my CG patch
for review which reduces the risk that I will forget about it.

>> So the basic question is: why isn't it starting up? I used to be a
>> Solaris sysadmin, but that ended 20 years ago and my copy of Frisch
>> is long gone. I don't really know because I can't reproduce this
>> behaviour on my machine.
> Peter, I skipped most of your previous emails because of the poor
> quoting which made them unreadable.
> Now the quoting is correct and I'm reading again.
> What is not starting up?

AFAIK, the shared clipboard does not work. Peter did install from
scratch, with nearly the same setup
I have (Win 10 as host os, VirtualBox 6.1  - I use 6.0), to no avail.
We figured out, that the clipboard service /usr/bin/VBoxClient
--clipboard is not running
on Peter's LilyDev instance. I could not reproduce this on my v1 image.

What we both noticed was that startup occassionally fails with a
console prompt "Enter Maintenance mode...".
Have you ever noticed this behaviour, too? I was not able to reproduce
it reliably, so
it's hard to track down.

Cheers,
Michael


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

Michael Käppler-2
In reply to this post by ptoye
Am 23.01.2020 um 11:45 schrieb Peter Toye:

> Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox Wednesday,
> January 22, 2020, 10:35:45 PM, Michael Käppler wrote:
>
>
> Am 22.01.2020 um 14:03 schrieb Peter Toye:
>
> > Yes, I would suggest that you start from scratch again.
>
>
> That's because the keyboard-layout package is not installed in LilyDev
> v1 by default. In LilyDev v2, it will be there.
>
>
> I hadn't realised that your new instructions were for the next issue
> of LilyDev. Are there any other missing bits? I noticed that some of
> the utilities for listing hardware like lsusb aren't there.
Do you think that 'lsusb' could be necessary? I think Federico's
intention was to keep the image as small as possible,
because one can easily install every debian package in the stretch repo
afterwards.

Best regards,
Michael

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

Federico Bruni-2
In reply to this post by Michael Käppler-2
Il giorno gio 23 gen 2020 alle 18:30, Michael Käppler
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> We figured out, that the clipboard service /usr/bin/VBoxClient
> --clipboard is not running
>  on Peter's LilyDev instance. I could not reproduce this on my v1
> image.
>
>  What we both noticed was that startup occassionally fails with a
>  console prompt "Enter Maintenance mode...".
>  Have you ever noticed this behaviour, too? I was not able to
> reproduce it reliably, so
>  it's hard to track down.

No, but I tested VirtualBox just a few times.

I will let you know when v2 is released.



12