Long compile times on Windows 10 status

Andrew Bernard

Hi folks,

Although a dyed in the wool Linux user, I am experimenting with Windows 10. At 2.19.48 I am seeing the long compile times that have been mentioned, for every run. With 2.19.39 the compilation is normal and quite fast. [I picked this previous release at random, to simply get back somewhere before the current problem arose.]

Running Windows 10 14393.321.

What is the current status on this, and is there a workaround?

Andrew

RE: Long compile times on Windows 10 status

Steven Weber

I’ve found that whenever I install a new font on my computer, I wind up in this state.

That being said, I can recover back to normal speeds by deleting the C:\Users\<me>\.lilypond-fonts.cache-2 folder.  The first build after doing this will be slow (because it’s rebuilding the font cache), but after that, speeds are back to normal.

--Steven

Re: Long compile times on Windows 10 status

Andrew Bernard
Hi Steven,

I get the slow compile on every run. I believe this is a current development issue.

Andrew

On 17 October 2016 at 10:45, Steven Weber wrote:

I’ve found that whenever I install a new font on my computer, I wind up in this state.

That being said, I can recover back to normal speeds by deleting the C:\Users\<me>\.lilypond-fonts.cache-2 folder.  The first build after doing this will be slow (because it’s rebuilding the font cache), but after that, speeds are back to normal.

RE: Long compile times on Windows 10 status

Andrew Bernard

Hi Steven,

With 2.19.48 your suggestion did not work for me. With 2.19.49, it does.

Since this is going to hit everybody, presumably, should it be documented in the manual somewhere folks?

Can the Windows installer do something like this?

I’m new to Windows, having previously led a trouble free life with Linux.

Andrew

I’ve found that whenever I install a new font on my computer, I wind up in this state.

That being said, I can recover back to normal speeds by deleting the C:\Users\<me>\.lilypond-fonts.cache-2 folder.  The first build after doing this will be slow (because it’s rebuilding the font cache), but after that, speeds are back to normal.

Re: Long compile times on Windows 10 status

Thomas Morley-2

> Hi Steven,
>

> With 2.19.48 your suggestion did not work for me. With 2.19.49, it does.
>

> Since this is going to hit everybody, presumably, should it be documented in
> the manual somewhere folks?
>

> Can the Windows installer do something like this?
>

> I’m new to Windows, having previously led a trouble free life with Linux.
>

> Andrew

In the german forum Manuela reports same problems.

Basically she found:

\paper {
#(define fonts
     (set-global-fonts
      #:music "gonville"  ; (the main notation font)
      #:roman "Traditional Arabic" ; (the main/serif text font)
      )
}

causing the slow down for windows even with 2.19.42.

If you understand german:
http://www.lilypondforum.de/index.php?topic=2397.msg13521#msg13521

Being on LINUX I obviously can't check, though I thought I share it
here, probably it helps...

Cheers,
  Harm