Logo for Lilypond

12

Logo for Lilypond

Rune Zedeler
After we dropped the Cello-Woman, we haven't really had a logo.
I suggest to use Valentin's happy LilyPond-note as a logo. I could start
arguing a lot, but hope that it won't be nessesary. The note is just
brilliant.
Comments?

http://valentin.villenave.info/lilypond/music_expression.png

http://valentin.villenave.info/lilypond/polyphony_eng.png

-Rune

Re: Logo for Lilypond

Peter Danenberg
> Comments?

Nice graphically, but contrapuntally offensive; that second example
has a direct fifth.

Re: Logo for Lilypond

Rune Zedeler
Peter Danenberg skrev:
>> Comments?
>
> Nice graphically, but contrapuntally offensive; that second example
> has a direct fifth.

I wasn't asking for comments on the cartoons - I was asking for comments
on using the note (just the note) as a logo.

-Rune

Re: Logo for Lilypond

v.villenave
2007/9/12, Peter Danenberg <[hidden email]>:

> Nice graphically, but contrapuntally offensive; that second example
> has a direct fifth.

Yes, this is absolutely harmful as the f *has* to go down on the e.

(for the record, my first version was c' g a g c' at the lower part,
so it made parallele fifths as well... :)

Valentin

Re: Logo for Lilypond

Kieren MacMillan
Rune (et al.):

> Comments?

Can we have the note -- which *IS* wonderful, BTW -- sitting on a
lilypad?

Cheers,
Kieren.

Re: Logo for Lilypond

Francisco Vila-4
El Wed, 12 de Sep de 2007, a las 04:48:41PM +0200, Rune Zedeler dijo:
> After we dropped the Cello-Woman, we haven't really had a logo.
> I suggest to use Valentin's happy LilyPond-note as a logo. I could start
> arguing a lot, but hope that it won't be nessesary. The note is just
> brilliant.
> Comments?
>
> http://valentin.villenave.info/lilypond/music_expression.png
>
> http://valentin.villenave.info/lilypond/polyphony_eng.png

I beg your permission to translate these fine lessons into Spanish. Only educational use. The original author will get its credits. May I have the
source documents?

Thanks!

--
Francisco Vila Doncel. Badajoz (Spain)
http://www.paconet.org

Re: Logo for Lilypond

v.villenave
2007/9/12, Rune Zedeler <[hidden email]>:

> I suggest to use Valentin's happy LilyPond-note as a logo.

Rune: I'd feel honoured.

2007/9/12, Kieren MacMillan <[hidden email]>:

> Can we have the note -- which *IS* wonderful, BTW -- sitting on a
> lilypad?

OK. This is a first draft. (but we can just use the character, as Rune
suggested)

-I remade the whole lilypad in SVG (can be used separately, btw, if
vectorized icons are needed somday...)

-I didn't know what a "sitting" note can look like, so I made it jump.

-I added some text just because I wanted to see what it would look
like on my next postcards :)

http://valentin.villenave.info/lilypond/sketchbook/lilypond.png

the source file:

http://valentin.villenave.info/lilypond/sketchbook/lilypond.svg

The whole "sketchbook" directory is listable and accessible, so you
can browse it for other pictures as well... Some svg files are buggy,
i'll correct and post them ASAP.

Regards,
Valentin

Re: Logo for Lilypond

Werner LEMBERG
> > Can we have the note -- which *IS* wonderful, BTW -- sitting on a
> > lilypad?
>
> OK. This is a first draft. (but we can just use the character, as Rune
> suggested)

Very nice!  You reveal veiled talents :-)  I've played just once with
Inkscape, and I really admire your capabilities.

    Werner

Re: Logo for Lilypond

Juergen Reuter
> OK. This is a first draft. (but we can just use the character, as Rune
> suggested)

Very nice!  It's IMO the best choice for a lily logo that I have seen so
far.

Greetings,
Juergen

Re: Logo for Lilypond

Cambiata
Hmm...

The logo, the graphical identity and the program name are all *very* important factors when it comes to establishing a software in the minds and lives of the users...

I'm totally convinced that I would have discovered the beauty of Lilypond years ago if

1. The program name was something that I would associate with professional music/notation
2. The site was professional and modern, (reflecting the artistic level and intensions of the program and its developers)
3. There was a graphically appealing logo, again with associations to professional music/notation

For years, I've seen links to Lilypond examples, always thinking this was some kind of non-professional semi-toy thing...

To me, the nice little happy note does *not* give an association to the professional level that Lilypond represents! (Maybe ideal for a program for children!) This also connects to the discussion of heightening the professional level of the documentation - I would really hate to see the nice happy little note on the first documentation page...

Two examples of projects with nice graphical concepts (in my opinion!):
http://codeigniter.com/
http://www.javeline.nl/ <- take a look at the correspondance between site and documentation!

Well, that's my opinion... Hope I don't offend someone!
It's really cute, the nice little happy note! :-)

Best regards!

Jonas

2007/9/13, Juergen Reuter < [hidden email]>:
> OK. This is a first draft. (but we can just use the character, as Rune
> suggested)

Very nice!  It's IMO the best choice for a lily logo that I have seen so
far.

Greetings,
Juergen

Med vänlig hälsning!

Jonas Nyström
[hidden email]
070-670 36 50

Re: Logo for Lilypond

Graham Percival-2
Jonas Nyström wrote:
> 1. The program name was something that I would associate with
> professional music/notation

I'm not offended, but I find this complaint totally irrational.  What's
so professional about calling your computer company "Apple" or "Sun"?
Does a piece of fruit or a celestial body have anything to do with
operating systems?  Does "google" sound like anything other than a
baby's noise?

> 2. The site was professional and modern, (reflecting the artistic level
> and intensions of the program and its developers)

This is a new complaint; what's wrong with the website?

Re: Logo for Lilypond

Han-Wen Nienhuys-3
2007/9/13, Jonas Nyström <[hidden email]>:

> To me, the nice little happy note does *not* give an association to the
> professional level that Lilypond represents! (Maybe ideal for a program for
> children!) This also connects to the discussion of heightening the
> professional level of the documentation - I would really hate to see the
> nice happy little note on the first documentation page...

Hi

+1

I agree that the cello woman probably was not a good logo, but I'd
like something that has more elegance than the comic note as a logo.

I tried to make a stylish logo for my deceased company, see

http://www.lilypond-design.com/

perhaps something along those lines?

Re: Logo for Lilypond

Peter Danenberg
> I agree that the cello woman probably was not a good logo...

To me, the idea of a cello-woman is appealing, even if the execution
was lacking; something along the lines of:

    http://carolinapino.net/man-ray.jpg

Re: Logo for Lilypond

v.villenave
2007/9/13, Jonas Nyström <[hidden email]>:

> The logo, the graphical identity and the program name are all *very*
> important factors when it comes to establishing a software in the minds and
> lives of the users...

> Two examples of projects with nice graphical concepts (in my opinion!):
> http://codeigniter.com/
> http://www.javeline.nl/ <- take a look at the correspondance between site
> and documentation!

OK.
Second and final draft.
http://valentin.villenave.info/lilypond/suggestions/

:-)

Don't get me wrong -- I have nothing against the projects you mention;
I just find such roaring sites a bit aggressive, whereas I never found
such kinds of intentions here.

I asked the "cute little note" if it had felt offended; it told me
"hey, guess what? I'm a bloody comic character! Never was intended to
be anything else, never will be."
(My characters tend to be not very polite privately :)

2007/9/14, Han-Wen Nienhuys <[hidden email]>:
> I agree that the cello woman probably was not a good logo, but I'd
> like something that has more elegance than the comic note as a logo.

Up.

> I tried to make a stylish logo for my deceased company, see
> http://www.lilypond-design.com/
> perhaps something along those lines?

They're fine.

Why not having kept them for lilypond.org?

PS. As I mentioned earlier, maybe the svg lilypad itself could be
useful sooner or later as a vector icon.

Regards,
V.

Re: Logo for Lilypond

Erlend Aasland-3
Hi

On 14. sep. 2007, at 01.42, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> 2007/9/13, Jonas Nyström <[hidden email]>:
>> To me, the nice little happy note does *not* give an association
>> to the
>> professional level that Lilypond represents!

I totally agree.

> I tried to make a stylish logo for my deceased company […] perhaps
> something along those lines?

Yes, I like this: a simple yet beautiful logo.

Just my humble opinion :-)

Regards,
   Erlend Aasland

Re: Logo for Lilypond

Cambiata
Hi Graham!

I'm not offended, but I find this complaint totally irrational.  What's
so professional about calling your computer company "Apple" or "Sun"?
Does a piece of fruit or a celestial body have anything to do with
operating systems?  Does "google" sound like anything other than a
baby's noise?

Very good point...!

> 2. The site was professional and modern, (reflecting the artistic level
> and intensions of the program and its developers)

This is a new complaint; what's wrong with the website?

The problem is that there might be other potential users not finding Lilypond, because the site looks so simple/basic/unstyled...

Well, I'm here now - a happy Lilypond user! :-)

RE: Logo for Lilypond

Carl Sorensen-3

As I reviewed the website, I thought that perhaps something as simple as replacing the photograph of the pond with a beautifully-engraved piece of complex music might improve the first impression.

Carl Sorensen

Re: Logo for Lilypond

Trevor Bača-2
On 9/14/07, Carl D. Sorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
Mmmm ... complex music ...

:-)

--
Trevor Bača

Re: Logo for Lilypond

Cambiata
As I reviewed the website, I thought that perhaps something as simple as replacing the photograph of the pond with a beautifully-engraved piece of complex music might improve the first impression.

Carl Sorensen

Exactly! The site should communicate the unique qualities and possibilites of the program.
Why not doing that the first seconds a new visitor reaches the site, using nice and clarifying graphics?
Right now, you have to search to find examples that make that clear.

Well, I guess that I should stop talking and try to create something myself...
Take a look at the attached pictur.

Regards / Jonas

lilypond_features.png (41K) Download Attachment

Re: Logo for Lilypond

Reinhold Kainhofer

12