Lilypond Internals Reference LyricText font-size

Lilypond Internals Reference LyricText font-size

Colin Tennyson
About this documentation:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/internals/lyrictext

 font-size (number):

    1.0

The font size, compared to the ‘normal’ size. 0 is style-sheet’s normal size, -1 is smaller, +1 is bigger. Each step of 1 is approximately 12% larger; 6 steps are exactly a factor 2 larger. Fractional values are allowed.

So:
The steps are the sixth root of 2. For abbreviation I will refer to that root as 1.1225

the description refers to "style-sheet's normal size"
I checked this page:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/learning/style-sheets
The word 'normal' does not occur on that page.

In another thread forum contributor tisimst mentioned there is a
"add-pango-fonts function in scm/font.scm"
that is used by Lilypond to determine a normal size given a particular staff size.

Documentation request:
Explicit documentation of "style-sheet's normal size"

About the default value:
The default is 1.0, not 0

Now, the number that is entered for the font size adjustment is an exponent.
2.5 steps larger says: multiply the current font size with 1.1225 to the power of 2.5

What I expect is that a step of zero is neutral; any number to the power 0 is 1, multiplying by 1 is neutral.

In other words, I expect that the step number that is entered will be _added_ to whatever the default is (that way the user doesn't have to know what that default is).

But instead the default step size (here 1.0) is _replaced_ with the entered number.
If you enter 0, the lyric font size will become 1.225 smaller, which is counter-intuitive.

Documentation request:
Description of this behavior.

Colin Tennyson

Re: Lilypond Internals Reference LyricText font-size

Carl Sorensen-3

On 7/20/16 11:29 AM, "Colin Tennyson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>About this documentation:
>http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/internals/lyrictext
>

> font-size (number):
>
>    1.0
>
>The font size, compared to the Œnormal¹ size. 0 is style-sheet¹s normal
>size, -1 is smaller, +1 is bigger. Each step of 1 is approximately 12%
>larger; 6 steps are exactly a factor 2 larger. Fractional values are
>allowed.

0 is the normal size for all fonts in a style-sheet.

1 is the default font-size for LyricText.

This means that LyricText is 12% larger than the default font size in the
style sheet.

That is, the font size you get by default in LyricText is exactly the same
font size you would get if you did

\override LyricText.font-size = 1.

The reason this is somewhat confusing is because it is automatically
generated, and there are a number of different grobs that use the
font-interface and therefore have a font-size property.  For example,
NoteName grobs have a font-size property, but their default font-size is
0, so it's not listed (because it is the style-sheet default).  Same with
TextScript grobs.

HTH,

Carl