LilyPondTool 2.8 - release

Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
Dear LilyPond users,

I'm very happy that I can announce, that after a year of waiting, the
updated, upgraded, enhanced version of LilyPondTool, the most
sophisticated development environment for LilyPondTool is available for
download. It is a very important release.
Major highlights:

- HOT: PDF viewer integrated, smartly closing and refreshing document,
and with point-and-click out-of-the-box
- updated for LilyPond 2.8
- updated syntax highlighting
- some new macros and templates
- new floating window: LilyPond instant help
- Properties are initially set to windows installation defaults
- many bugfixes, including convert-ly works again
- Unix/Linux and OS X are not supported officially, but should work.
Cygwin also not supported any more  (it was too hard to maintain)

I'm a bit sad, that the "real" lilypond parser could not be fully
included in this release, however you can try it for, if you turn it on
in plugin options.

I've created a new site, with documentation, news etc. at
http://lilypondtool.organum.hu

Installation can only be made manually at this time, however it's easy:
- install jEdit 4.3pre6 or later
- install the following Plugins via plugin manager: Console, ErrorList,
Jakarta Commons, SideKick, Templates
- download the lily4jedit-binary-2.8-b1.zip file from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=91119&package_id=96102&release_id=445285
- unzip this file into your jEdit directory, for example c:\program
files\jEdit 4.3pre6 - the zip file will contain all the necessary folders

If you have any problems, please contact me.

Bert

ps. the link missed from previous mail

Re: LilyPondTool 2.8 - release

Stephen Corey
Bert,

Loaded your new tool on my Suse 10.1 Linux setup and it seems to work
mostly okay.  I love the pdf viewer and the point and click feature is
awesome.  For me at least, closing the viewer will also close (or maybe
crash) jEdit.  Not sure if that is intended.  And the viewer did crash
jEdit for me a couple of times right at the end of loading an updated
image. But I couldn't find any pattern to the crash.  It seems like if I
click on any note once the viewer is first opened, that subsequent updates
don't crash it.  I also LOVE the fact that one can print from the viewer.

Only had time to open existing files and play with them a bit.  Will try
creating from scratch later on this evening and see how it goes.  But for
now, let me just say Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

And please post a note once that PayPal account is open and I'll donate
what I can.

By the way, any Linux users will need to change the "Path to LilyPond
binary" under Plugin Options.  I pointed mine to /home/steve/bin/ and it
worked fine afterward.  Great job Bert!

Stephen Corey
Richmond, Virginia USA

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 12:52:13 +0200, Bertalan Fodor wrote:

> Dear LilyPond users,
>
> I'm very happy that I can announce, that after a year of waiting, the
> updated, upgraded, enhanced version of LilyPondTool, the most
> sophisticated development environment for LilyPondTool is available for
> download. It is a very important release.
> Major highlights:
>
> - HOT: PDF viewer integrated, smartly closing and refreshing document,
> and with point-and-click out-of-the-box
> - updated for LilyPond 2.8
> - updated syntax highlighting
> - some new macros and templates
> - new floating window: LilyPond instant help
> - Properties are initially set to windows installation defaults
> - many bugfixes, including convert-ly works again
> - Unix/Linux and OS X are not supported officially, but should work.
> Cygwin also not supported any more  (it was too hard to maintain)
>
> I'm a bit sad, that the "real" lilypond parser could not be fully
> included in this release, however you can try it for, if you turn it on
> in plugin options.
>
> I've created a new site, with documentation, news etc. at
> http://lilypondtool.organum.hu
>
> Installation can only be made manually at this time, however it's easy:
> - install jEdit 4.3pre6 or later
> - install the following Plugins via plugin manager: Console, ErrorList,
> Jakarta Commons, SideKick, Templates
> - download the lily4jedit-binary-2.8-b1.zip file from
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=91119&package_id=96102&release_id=445285
> - unzip this file into your jEdit directory, for example c:\program
> files\jEdit 4.3pre6 - the zip file will contain all the necessary folders
>
> If you have any problems, please contact me.
>
> Bert
>
> ps. the link missed from previous mail

Re: LilyPondTool 2.8 - release

Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
Thanks for your nice words.

> For me at least, closing the viewer will also close (or maybe
> crash) jEdit.
Closing the window should not close jEdit. Choosing File/Exit (pressing
Ctrl-Q) will close jEdit, however it's not intended. It will be fixed.

> Not sure if that is intended.  And the viewer did crash
> jEdit for me a couple of times right at the end of loading an updated
> image. But I couldn't find any pattern to the crash.
If it's crashed, please go to your home directory and look for the
.jedit directory, and activity.log inside. Please send this file to me.
It should contain a clue about crashing.
> I also LOVE the fact that one can print from the viewer.

Well, note that this is not good for production purpose, because some
glyphs (braces and g-clefs some times) are rendered badly.

Bert

Re: LilyPondTool 2.8 - release

Tapio Tuovila
Stephen Corey kirjoitti:
> Bert,
>
> Loaded your new tool on my Suse 10.1 Linux setup and it seems to work
> mostly okay.  I love the pdf viewer and the point and click feature is
> awesome.  For me at least, closing the viewer will also close (or maybe
> crash) jEdit.  Not sure if that is intended.  And the viewer did crash
> jEdit for me a couple of times right at the end of loading an updated
> image.
Hi, I'm on Suse 10.1 as well, and for me JPedal has not crashed jEdit
when loading an updated image.

But speaking about JPedal,a detail: when I click a notehead, jEdit gets
activated all right, but the passive JPedal window stays still on the
top. Can this behavior be changed and Stephen, does this happen to you
also?

And then, is there a way to scroll the JPedal page from your keyboard?
-It does not seem to react to PageDown or arrow keys or space key or tab
key or anything but autoscrolling or the scroll-bar.

In general, this new version seems rather stable and point-and-click
also works now reliably.  Fine, I'm very happy with it! Good work, Bert!

greetings, Tapio

Re: LilyPondTool 2.8 - release

Stephen Corey

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 10:32:50 +0300, Tapio Tuovila wrote:

> Stephen Corey kirjoitti:
>> Bert,
>>
>> Loaded your new tool on my Suse 10.1 Linux setup and it seems to work
>> mostly okay.  I love the pdf viewer and the point and click feature is
>> awesome.  For me at least, closing the viewer will also close (or maybe
>> crash) jEdit.  Not sure if that is intended.  And the viewer did crash
>> jEdit for me a couple of times right at the end of loading an updated
>> image.
> Hi, I'm on Suse 10.1 as well, and for me JPedal has not crashed jEdit
> when loading an updated image.

Mine crashed several times on the first day but rarely since then.  I use
AMD64 and a poorly supported chipset so that may be causing my problems.
But in any case, it seems to have stabilized.

> But speaking about JPedal,a detail: when I click a notehead, jEdit gets
> activated all right, but the passive JPedal window stays still on the
> top. Can this behavior be changed and Stephen, does this happen to you
> also?

At home, I use two monitors so this isn't an issue.  At work, I tile the
screens or else put them on different desktops.  So I haven't really run
into this problem.

> And then, is there a way to scroll the JPedal page from your keyboard?
> -It does not seem to react to PageDown or arrow keys or space key or tab
> key or anything but autoscrolling or the scroll-bar.

Just moving the mouse within JPedal causes it to move to any unseen spot
on the same page.  But I view it at 75% so I can see the whole page.  I
don't know any keyboard shortcuts for moving from page to page.  If there
are any, I'd love to hear about them.

> In general, this new version seems rather stable and point-and-click
> also works now reliably.  Fine, I'm very happy with it! Good work, Bert!
>
> greetings, Tapio

Re: LilyPondTool 2.8 - release

Tapio Tuovila
Stephen Corey kirjoitti:
> Just moving the mouse within JPedal causes it to move to any unseen spot
> on the same page.  But I view it at 75% so I can see the whole page.  I
> don't know any keyboard shortcuts for moving from page to page.  If there
> are any, I'd love to hear about them.

You can move to the next page with Ctrl-right and previous page with
Ctrl-left, first page with Home and last with End. With Ctrl-N you can
enter the desired page number.
(This information comes from View>Goto)

my best, Tapio

Re: LilyPondTool 2.8 - release

Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)

> But speaking about JPedal,a detail: when I click a notehead, jEdit gets
> activated all right, but the passive JPedal window stays still on the
> top. Can this behavior be changed and Stephen, does this happen to you
> also?

Yes, it will be changed. There will be a bugfix release soon, but I'm
waiting some more for your feedbacks :-)

Bert