LilyPond dies on hairpin override

Hans de Rijck
Hello.

When I use a \override Voice.Hairpin #'extra-offset LilyPond dies in
compilation. No errors or warnings. Log says:

# -*-compilation-*-
Changing working directory to `G:/MusicCvt'
Processing `G:/MusicCvt/test.ly'
Parsing...

thats all.

Using Win2k, version 2.6.3. Example file is attached.

regards,

Hans.

test.ly (567 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: LilyPond dies on hairpin override

Trevor Bača-2
On 8/24/05, Hans de Rijck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> When I use a \override Voice.Hairpin #'extra-offset LilyPond dies in
> compilation. No errors or warnings. Log says:
>
> # -*-compilation-*-
> Changing working directory to `G:/MusicCvt'
> Processing `G:/MusicCvt/test.ly'
> Parsing...

Hi Hans,

Change ...

  \override Voice.Hairpin #'extra-offset = #( 0 . -1.8 )

  \override Voice.Hairpin #'extra-offset = #'(0 . -1.8)

... making sure to insert the apostrophe between the octothorpe and (0
. -1.8) (just as you include the apostrophe between the octothorpe and
extra-offset).

Trevor Bača

Re: LilyPond dies on hairpin override

Hans de Rijck
Thanks Trevor,

I just found it myself too.

regards,

Hans.

stk

Trevor Baca wrote:

> Change ...

>   \override Voice.Hairpin #'extra-offset = #( 0 . -1.8 )

>   \override Voice.Hairpin #'extra-offset = #'(0 . -1.8)

So you committed a Scheme error.  Side remark:  a Scheme error
always seems to result in a log file ending in a wistful

          Parsing...

with no further information, like a message scratched on a wall by the
last human at the world's end.

But at least you can be pretty sure that a Scheme error is the problem,
so you can use a fine-tooth comb on your Scheme expressions looking for
the error.  I've taken to keeping a separate file with a handwritten list
of all the Scheme expressions that *do* work, as a help in finding my
coding faults.

-- Tom

Re: LilyPond dies on hairpin override

Hans de Rijck
Tom,

Thanks for the explanation, could you please check your list if:
\override SpacingSpanner #'shortest-duration-space = #3.0
is on it? It doesn't seem to do anything.

thanks,

Hans

> >   \override Voice.Hairpin #'extra-offset = #( 0 . -1.8 )

> >   \override Voice.Hairpin #'extra-offset = #'(0 . -1.8)
>
> So you committed a Scheme error.  Side remark:  a Scheme error
> always seems to result in a log file ending in a wistful
>
>           Parsing...
>
> with no further information, like a message scratched on a wall by the
> last human at the world's end.
>
> But at least you can be pretty sure that a Scheme error is the problem,
> so you can use a fine-tooth comb on your Scheme expressions looking for
> the error.  I've taken to keeping a separate file with a handwritten list
> of all the Scheme expressions that *do* work, as a help in finding my
> coding faults.
>
> -- Tom

Re: LilyPond dies on hairpin override

Erik Sandberg
On Wednesday 24 August 2005 13.47, Hans de Rijck wrote:

> Hello.
>
> When I use a \override Voice.Hairpin #'extra-offset LilyPond dies in
> compilation. No errors or warnings. Log says:
>
> # -*-compilation-*-
> Changing working directory to `G:/MusicCvt'
> Processing `G:/MusicCvt/test.ly'
> Parsing...
>

> thats all.
>
> Using Win2k, version 2.6.3. Example file is attached.

That's strange, I get (Ubuntu Linux):
Parsing...
error: Incorrect lilypond version: 2.6.3 (2.3.22, 2.6.0)
error: Consider updating the input with the convert-ly script
foo.ly:27:54: error: GUILE signaled an error for the expression beginning here
            \override Voice.Hairpin #'extra-offset = #
                                                      ( 0 . -1.8 )Wrong type
to apply: (0 . -1.8)

foo.ly:27:56: error: syntax error, unexpected DIGIT
            \override Voice.Hairpin #'extra-offset = #(
                                                        0 . -1.8 )
etc.

--
Erik

Re: LilyPond dies on hairpin override

Han-Wen Nienhuys
[hidden email] wrote:

> So you committed a Scheme error.  Side remark:  a Scheme error
> always seems to result in a log file ending in a wistful
>
>           Parsing...
>
> with no further information, like a message scratched on a wall by the
> last human at the world's end.
>
> But at least you can be pretty sure that a Scheme error is the problem,
> so you can use a fine-tooth comb on your Scheme expressions looking for
> the error.  I've taken to keeping a separate file with a handwritten list
> of all the Scheme expressions that *do* work, as a help in finding my
> coding faults.

I guess we have to do a scm_set_current_error_port() for the windows
release, to redirect GUILE error messages to the logfile too.

Re: LilyPond dies on hairpin override

Since the spacing is determined at the score level, you have to
explicitly set the property on the Score level. Try
\override Score.SpacingSpanner #'shortest-duration-space = #3.0

    /Mats

Hans de Rijck wrote:

> Tom,
>
> Thanks for the explanation, could you please check your list if:
> \override SpacingSpanner #'shortest-duration-space = #3.0
> is on it? It doesn't seem to do anything.
>
> thanks,
>
> Hans

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing