LilyPond and OpenDocument

Bugzilla from tvalusek@seznam.cz
Hello,

is there a way to create ODF format from LilyPond, so that I could edit
result in OpenOffice.org?

Tomas Valusek

Re: LilyPond and OpenDocument

Colin Wilding
One possibility would be to output the score in SVG format.  There is filter available which allows you to open SVG files in OpenOffice Draw.  I haven't tried this myself (yet).

Re: LilyPond and OpenDocument

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence
There is a notice in the sponsoring section of the
website that lists something about OOorg.  I wrote and
asked Han-Wen about it and was told that there was a
bridge that made the project possible but that it would
be expensive
Quote from Han-Wen-
" I've put the cost for an initial prototype at 1250 eur."

I'm interested but couldn't put up that much by myself
and didn't have much Idea of anyone else being interested.

Also other than trying to use it to put music in a text
which other people find simple or possible to do via
some sort of *teX program (which I remain ignorant of) I
am not sure how many people would get any use of the tool.

So if there is a larger interest it's probably a go.
Just needs money.

I also think that the use would need to be defined.
i.e. why do we want this integration and what do we
expect it do allow us to do.

Jay

Tomas Valusek wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is there a way to create ODF format from LilyPond, so that I could edit
> result in OpenOffice.org?
>
> Tomas Valusek

Childhood is a Journey not a race- Emma Sadinsky aged 8
Jay Hamilton
Sound and Silence
206-328-7694
www.soundand.com

RE: LilyPond and OpenDocument

Kress, Stephen
RE: LilyPond and OpenDocument

Is there a reason you can't use

    lilypond --backend=eps myfile.ly

?  This should create an EPS file which OO knows how to import.  If you want the ability to edit what LP puts out, this won't give you what you need, though.  If you're actually making a document, it may be easier to use LP to just do the music (creating EPS files) and do the text editing in OO Writer.  I'm not entirely sure, but you may be able to use something like Paint Shop Pro (costs) or The Gimp (free) to actually edit the pieces of the EPS files.

Tomas Valusek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there a way to create ODF format from LilyPond, so that I could edit
> result in OpenOffice.org?
>
> Tomas Valusek

Childhood is a Journey not a race- Emma Sadinsky aged 8
Jay Hamilton
Sound and Silence
206-328-7694
www.soundand.com

2006-05-03, 22:30:26
The information contained in this e-mail message and any attachments may be privileged and confidential.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachments from your computer.

2006-05-03, 23:15:29
The information contained in this e-mail message and any attachments may be privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachments from your computer.

Re: LilyPond and OpenDocument

Colin Wilding

I tried this myself last night (in Linux) - no luck.  Lilypond created an SVG file:  Inkscape opened it but displayed only the staff lines and a few other bits;  OpenOffice tried to open it but failed with a 'general input/output error'.  I suspect there is a problem with fonts but I couldn't be sure.

in principle, though, this approach ought to work.

Colin Wilding wrote
One possibility would be to output the score in SVG format.  There is filter available which allows you to open SVG files in OpenOffice Draw.  I haven't tried this myself (yet).

Re: LilyPond and OpenDocument

Steffinuss
I GOT IT!!!!

I am happy to inform you, that I found a way importing Lilypond into
Opendocument:

Import the Lilypond ps file in Scribus. Export it as eps file. Import the eps
file in OpenOffice!

It is not the direct way, but you will get the best resolution and the
possibility to resize the image however you like. I don't know why Openoffice
has problems with the eps file that is created with lilypond's eps backend!

Stefan

I managed to Am Donnerstag, 4. Mai 2006 14:28 schrieb Colin Wilding:

> I tried this myself last night (in Linux) - no luck.  Lilypond created an
> SVG file:  Inkscape opened it but displayed only the staff lines and a few
> other bits;  OpenOffice tried to open it but failed with a 'general
> input/output error'.  I suspect there is a problem with fonts but I
> couldn't be sure.
>
> in principle, though, this approach ought to work.
>
> Colin Wilding wrote:
> > One possibility would be to output the score in SVG format.  There is
> > filter available which allows you to open SVG files in OpenOffice Draw.
> > I haven't tried this myself (yet).

Re: LilyPond and OpenDocument

Benjamin Esham
Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence wrote:

> There is a notice in the sponsoring section of the website that
> lists something about OOorg.  I wrote and asked Han-Wen about it
> and was told that there was a bridge that made the project possible
> but that it would be expensive

You might want to take a look at the source code of OOoLaTeX (http://
ooolatex.sourceforge.net/).  It's an OpenOffice.org extension that
lets you add LaTeX expressions to your documents; it converts them on-
the-fly to EMF (or another appropriate format) and lets you play with
some of the settings.  It supports EPS, I think, so it might not be
impossible to hack it to do something similar for LilyPond.

HTH,
--
Benjamin D. Esham
[hidden email]  |  PGP key ID: 0xD676BB9A  |  AIM: bdesham128

PGP.sig (193 bytes) Download Attachment