LilyPond 2.6/2.4 and printing on a4 paper

LilyPond 2.6/2.4 and printing on a4 paper

Jan Kohnert
Hallo all,

I upgraded from 2.0.X to 2.4.2 some time ago and I recognized a problem:

my scores are printed fine in the pdf/ps output, but when I try to print them
on my printer, at the end of the page the score is not complete, it's just
cut at the end of the printable page. It seems the page is rendered too big
and the border of the page is too small for my printer. This also happend at
my last upgrade to 2.6.5.

In earlier version I put an "\include a4paper.ly" in the source and the output
looked fine (the page-border was also much bigger). I think it is related to
this, as in the new version there is no such entry (after performing
convert-ly).

What could cause this (and if it is the a4paper, what command is needed to get
proper output)? I'd really like to show you a picture, but I'm unable caused
by the lack of a scanner...

Best regards Jan

--
OpenPGP Public-Key Fingerprint:
0E9B 4052 C661 5018 93C3 4E46 651A 7A28 4028 FF7A

Re: LilyPond 2.6/2.4 and printing on a4 paper

Gilles Sadowski
Hi.

> [...]
> and the border of the page is too small for my printer. [...]

Not all printers have the same printable area.
You may want to have to fiddle with the settings described here:

  http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/Documentation/user/lilypond/Page-formatting.html#Page-formatting

(especially "topmargin" and "bottommargin").

> In earlier version I put an "\include a4paper.ly" in the source and the output
> looked fine (the page-border was also much bigger). I think it is related to
> this, as in the new version there is no such entry (after performing
> convert-ly).

Anyway, I think that A4 is the default paper size.

Best,
Gilles

Gilles schrieb:

> Hi.
>
> > [...]
> > and the border of the page is too small for my printer. [...]
>
> Not all printers have the same printable area.
> You may want to have to fiddle with the settings described here:
>

> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/Documentation/user/lilypond/Page-formatting.ht
>ml#Page-formatting
>
> (especially "topmargin" and "bottommargin").
Thanks for the tip, I will try it.

> Anyway, I think that A4 is the default paper size.

Yes it is the default, as my ps/pdf files are in A4 format. but the borders
are *very* small. At least, I think bottommargin is less than 1cm. in the
printout also top/left/rightmargin are very small (also about less/equal 1cm)
This layout looks very poor but I don't know if I have missed anything. The
default layout should not look that bad...

> Best,
> Gilles

Regards Jan

P.S.: I'm sitting here on Gentoo (mostly stable)
jankoh@kohni ~ $ lilypond --version
GNU LilyPond 2.6.5

jankoh@kohni ~ $ latex --version
TeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159
kpathsea version 3.4.5

The attached pic is the bootom of a score - complete page width and till the
bottom. I hope this can mak it clearer.

lily-out.jpg (31K) Download Attachment

Re: LilyPond 2.6/2.4 and printing on a4 paper

Gilles Sadowski

> > Anyway, I think that A4 is the default paper size.
>
> Yes it is the default, as my ps/pdf files are in A4 format. but the borders
> are *very* small. At least, I think bottommargin is less than 1cm. in the
> printout also top/left/rightmargin are very small (also about less/equal 1cm)
> This layout looks very poor but I don't know if I have missed anything. The
> default layout should not look that bad...

Well, the layout can be anything from nice to ugly, depending on the height
of the systems, and the various values that can be set in the \paper block.
To have it done automatically for every score seems not to be an easy task.

> The attached pic is the bootom of a score - complete page width and till the
> bottom. I hope this can mak it clearer.

Not really;  I don't see anything particularly odd...

Gilles

Re: LilyPond 2.6/2.4 and printing on a4 paper

Thies Albrecht
Hi Jan!

> my scores are printed fine in the pdf/ps output, but when I try to print them
> on my printer, at the end of the page the score is not complete, it's just
> cut at the end of the printable page. It seems the page is rendered too big
> and the border of the page is too small for my printer. This also happend at
> my last upgrade to 2.6.5.
Have you compared the margins of your PDF output and the printed sheet?

On my system (native WinXY, 2.7.X) I recognize that the PDF output is
perfectly what I desired, but the print-out is shifted to the right so
that the right end of my sheet is cut off.
It seems the printer puts some extra margin to my sheet so I have to use
the option "Automatisch drehen und zentrieren" ("turn and center
automatically" ???) in the print dialog to get a 1:1 print-out.

Kind regards
Thies