Quantcast

LilyJAZZ in v2.18

Schneidy
Hi LilyPonders,

I've tried to update/upgrade LilyJAZZ for a couple of days now and here's where I am so far :
1.1. I've contacted JP (the original developer, see https://sites.google.com/site/jpgzic/) and he confirmed me that all his LilyJAZZ work is open source (this is an answer to the disclaimer written here : https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/tree/master/custom-music-fonts/LilyJAZZ).
1.2. I've tried to gathered as many infos and snippet as possible and add it to LilyJAZZ.ily
1.3. I've also added personal settings and codes.

So please find herewith (all in v2.18) :
2.1. LilyJAZZ.ily (a lilttle drafty but I've added some links for info.)
2.2. ignatzek-jazz-chords.ily (no change AFAIR)
2.3. AccordsJazzDefs.ily (JP's original chords definition - needs lilyjazzchord font : https://sites.google.com/site/jpgzic/home/la-police)
2.4. AccordsJazzList.ly (JP's chords test with ignatzek-jazz-chords but you can switch for AccordsJazzDefs if needed; see pdf)
2.5. AccordsJazzList.pdf (just to show how it originally looks for those who don't want to get lilyjazzchord font)
2.6. JazzTest.ly (basically my first tests but I've also added Harm's and Torsten' ones)
2.7. AnonBossaNova.ly (a small but complete RealBook like guitar score full of fingerings AND the "G_8" clef ;)...)
... and this is it !

Waiting for your comments,
Cheers,
Pierre

AccordsJazzList - Copie.pdf (119K) Download Attachment
AccordsJazzDefs.ily (7K) Download Attachment
ignatzek-jazz-chords.ily (17K) Download Attachment
LilyJAZZ.ily (57K) Download Attachment
AccordsJazzList.ly (2K) Download Attachment
AnonBossaNova.ly (6K) Download Attachment
JazzTest.ly (9K) Download Attachment

Re: LilyJAZZ in v2.18

MarcM
if the work is open source, can LilyJAZZ be integrated with Lilypond?

Re: LilyJAZZ in v2.18

Schneidy

Thanks for sharing your research and source files. Looks good, Much fun!

You're  welcome Stan.

if the work is open source, can LilyJAZZ be integrated with Lilypond?

I think  we are a little far from that.

One more thing though : I forgot to say that for some reason the apostrphe is lacking in the LilyJAZZ font.
I've hacked it with a terrible code in my scores but if anyone could fix that it would be great (I've never worked on any font).
Cheers,
Pierre

RE: LilyJAZZ in v2.18

Urs Liska

On 25. Mai 2014 18:01:39 MESZ, Daniel Rosen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Yes, that's what I've been saying for some time.
I can't because I don't know it enough. So someone should either make a pull request or send me a reasonably complete zip file.

Best
Urs

>DR

Re: LilyJAZZ in v2.18

Schneidy

Yes, that's what I've been saying for some time.
I can't because I don't know it enough. So someone should either make a pull request or send me a reasonably complete zip file.

Ok Urs, no problem with that.
What I meant is that I think it's too early at that stage.

Cheers,
Pierre

Re: [SPAM] Re: LilyJAZZ in v2.18

Urs Liska
Am 25.05.2014 19:43, schrieb Pierre Perol-Schneider:

>> Yes, that's what I've been saying for some time.
>> I can't because I don't know it enough. So someone should either make a
>> pull request or send me a reasonably complete zip file.
>>

> Ok Urs, no problem with that.
> What I meant is that I think it's too early at that stage.

What exactly do you mean?

Of course LilyPond isn't in a state to allow font switching easily and
it is of course not ready to have any alternative fonts to be included.

But I think things like LilyJAZZ can "safely be included" in the
openLilyLib snippets. It can be used, it is used, it is discussed and
referenced, and it can be made work very easily in the context of the
sinppets repo. It's one of its purposes to make stuff available that is
useful but for any reason inappropriate for inclusion in LilyPond itself.

Best
Urs

> Cheers,
> Pierre

Re: [SPAM] Re: LilyJAZZ in v2.18

Schneidy

What exactly do you mean?

Dear Urs,
When I started to make scores with LilyJAZZ few days ago it was, of course, with instruments I'm familiar with (guitar, bass, trumpet). And that helped me to find some enhancement.
Now the purpose of this thread was to get feedbacks from other RealBook users (e.g. pianists, percussionists, etc.) who could tell what needs to be improved/enhenced/created for their instruments.
What I meant is that I think LilyJAZZ still needs to be tested some more before being put in the snippet repo.
Juste a small example : I've started the FontForge tutorial during the weekend to see how to manage the apostrophe but also how to create a small "m" in order to avoid any confusion between major and minor chords.
Right now I don't have much time to work on LilyJAZZ but I'm thinking of a "small" regression test dedicated to the RealBook style that would cover a certain range of jazz instument familly, each with their specific annotations.
Cheers,
Pierre

Re: LilyJAZZ in v2.18

Tim McNamara

On May 26, 2014, at 9:38 AM, Pierre Perol-Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What exactly do you mean?
>
> Dear Urs,
> When I started to make scores with LilyJAZZ few days ago it was, of course, with instruments I'm familiar with (guitar, bass, trumpet). And that helped me to find some enhancement.
> Now the purpose of this thread was to get feedbacks from other RealBook users (e.g. pianists, percussionists, etc.) who could tell what needs to be improved/enhenced/created for their instruments.

The chief things for me would be in LilyPond rather than in LilyJAZZ:

     -the ability to set the LilyJAZZ font globally rather than having to use \jazzOn and \jazzOff, setting the font for chordnames, for \mark and \markup, etc.  This may already exist and I just don’t know the invocation.

     -on the Mac, Lilypond being able to find fonts in the “normal” Mac places (/Library/Fonts and ~/Library/Fonts).  As it stands I have to manually drill down into the Lilypond.app bundle to place the fonts in there as Lilypond doesn’t seem to be able to find them otherwise.  I don’t know if this is a problem on Windows, Linux, etc.

The notes are more easily readable on the bandstand using LilyJAZZ than the default music font, I think because the shapes are simpler.  This is helpful in the jazz setting since musicians frequently don’t see the chart until just before the downbeat.

> What I meant is that I think LilyJAZZ still needs to be tested some more before being put in the snippet repo.
> Juste a small example : I've started the FontForge tutorial during the weekend to see how to manage the apostrophe

At least in song titles I find a very acceptable apostrophe glyph when using LilyJAZZ.  See:

> but also how to create a small "m" in order to avoid any confusion between major and minor chords.

My solution for that was to change my chord exceptions to A-7 instead of Am7 or Amin7.  I also have major chords defined as Amaj7.  That eliminates the confusion and jazz musicians are familiar with the A-7 format so they will get it right off.  For example:

PastedGraphic-3.pdf (85K) Download Attachment
PastedGraphic-2.pdf (85K) Download Attachment

Re: LilyJAZZ in v2.18

Urs Liska
Am 26.05.2014 16:38, schrieb Pierre Perol-Schneider:

>> What exactly do you mean?
>>

> Dear Urs,
> When I started to make scores with LilyJAZZ few days ago it was, of course,
> with instruments I'm familiar with (guitar, bass, trumpet). And that helped
> me to find some enhancement.
> Now the purpose of this thread was to get feedbacks from other RealBook
> users (e.g. pianists, percussionists, etc.) who could tell what needs to be
> improved/enhenced/created for their instruments.
> What I meant is that I think LilyJAZZ still needs to be tested some more
> before being put in the snippet repo.
> Juste a small example : I've started the FontForge tutorial during the
> weekend to see how to manage the apostrophe but also how to create a small
> "m" in order to avoid any confusion between major and minor chords.
> Right now I don't have much time to work on LilyJAZZ but I'm thinking of a
> "small" regression test dedicated to the RealBook style that would cover a
> certain range of jazz instument familly, each with their specific
> annotations.
> Cheers,
> Pierre

OK, I see what you mean.
But I'd still propose to include it in the snippets repository as soon
as possible. "Our" repository is significantly different from LilyPond
itself, and also from the official LSR. Having incomplete, buggy or
experimental snippets in it is perfectly OK as long as they are
documented accordingly.
And as I said earlier LilyJAZZ is already out in the wild, used,
discussed and asked for, but presumably in a number of personal
variations, with people having applied all kinds of personal
improvements or patches.
Having it in the oll snippets would provide
- a common reference location to point interested people to
- an "authoritative" "latest version"
- a convenient central place for development
   where everybody can add his improvements.

Urs

Re: LilyJAZZ in v2.18

Schneidy

At least in song titles I find a very acceptable apostrophe glyph when using LilyJAZZ.  See:

ok.

> but also how to create a small "m" in order to avoid any confusion between major and minor chords.

My solution for that was to change my chord exceptions to A-7 instead of Am7 or Amin7.  I also have major chords defined as Amaj7.  That eliminates the confusion and jazz musicians are familiar with the A-7 format so they will get it right off.

That's a good idea !

Re: LilyJAZZ in v2.18

Schneidy

But I'd still propose to include it in the snippets repository as soon as possible. "Our" repository is significantly different from LilyPond itself, and also from the official LSR. Having incomplete, buggy or experimental snippets in it is perfectly OK as long as they are documented accordingly.
And as I said earlier LilyJAZZ is already out in the wild, used, discussed and asked for, but presumably in a number of personal variations, with people having applied all kinds of personal improvements or patches.
Having it in the oll snippets would provide
- a common reference location to point interested people to
- an "authoritative" "latest version"
- a convenient central place for development
  where everybody can add his improvements.

 Ok, I can undestand that.
Should I have to create a new file in the .../custom-music-fonts repo ?

Re: [SPAM] Re: LilyJAZZ in v2.18

Urs Liska
Am 27.05.2014 22:32, schrieb Pierre Perol-Schneider:

>> But I'd still propose to include it in the snippets repository as soon as
>> possible. "Our" repository is significantly different from LilyPond itself,
>> and also from the official LSR. Having incomplete, buggy or experimental
>> snippets in it is perfectly OK as long as they are documented accordingly.
>> And as I said earlier LilyJAZZ is already out in the wild, used, discussed
>> and asked for, but presumably in a number of personal variations, with
>> people having applied all kinds of personal improvements or patches.
>> Having it in the oll snippets would provide
>> - a common reference location to point interested people to
>> - an "authoritative" "latest version"
>> - a convenient central place for development
>>    where everybody can add his improvements.
>>

>   Ok, I can undestand that.
> Should I have to create a new file in the .../custom-music-fonts repo ?

There is a dummy folder /custom-music-fonts/LilyJAZZ already that you
should use.
You can have a look at the "smufl" folder beside that which probably
should be quite similar.

Best
Urs