Left hand/right hand editorial annotation

Left hand/right hand editorial annotation

Thomas
Hi,
I'm looking for a specific symbol whose name I unfortunately don't know
and didn't find when browsing the documentation, but which I'm sure
Lilypond has implemented somehow.
In polyphonic piano music, you may sometimes have a situation where e.g.
two voices are written in the lower staff for the left hand, but some of
the notes in the upper voice are so much higher than the lower voice
that they would be very hard or impossible to play with the left hand
alone, but they may be within the reach of the right hand. So the
composer or editor may decide to put that symbol next to the first note
that is to be played by the right hand, and an upside-down version of it
next to the first note of that part that is to be played by the left
hand again. The symbols I look for look like the floor and ceiling
symbols some of you may know from mathematical typesetting to indicate
the next smaller/greater integer, or like an upside-down L and a regular L.
Is there such a symbol in Lilypond, and how do I use it?
Thomas

Odp: Left hand/right hand editorial annotation

karol
Hi Thomas. What you mean is probably so called other-hand bracket. This feature has been requested many times, but so far there is no ultimate solution. See this:

http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/missing-feature-piano-hand-brackets-td41551.html

--Karol

Re: Odp: Left hand/right hand editorial annotation

Thomas
Hi,
On 1/5/14 9:43 PM, Karol Majewski wrote:
> Hi Thomas. What you mean is probably so called other-hand bracket. This
> feature has been requested many times, but so far there is no ultimate solution.
> See this:
> http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/missing-feature-piano-hand-brackets-td41551.html
> https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1319
Karol, thanks for the pointers. I have tried the hacks I found there,
but one produced a wrong result, the second a fatal error, and the third
no effect at all. I guess that is due to compatibility issues, because
the hacks seem to be several years old, and then, I have zero knowledge
of the Scheme stuff, so I can't do much if dumb copy and paste doesn't work.
It strikes me that Lilypond, which can do the most extravagant things
99% of us have never even heard of, doesn't have such a simple and
fairly common symbol. Even though I can do without it right now, it
would be nice to have. Maybe the developers can fill this gap?
Best,
Thomas

Re: Odp: Left hand/right hand editorial annotation

Robin Bannister
Thomas Ruedas wrote:
> [...]
 > the second a fatal error,
 > [...]
 > I guess that is due to compatibility issues,
> because the hacks seem to be several years old

But the thumbBracket code still works; see the recent
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2014-04/msg00520.html

Just one of the demo examples needs to be replaced.

Cheers,
Robin

Re: Odp: Left hand/right hand editorial annotation

Schneidy
Thomas Ruedas wrote:
[...]
> the second a fatal error,
> [...]

> I guess that is due to compatibility issues,
because the hacks seem to be several years old

But the thumbBracket code still works; see the recent
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2014-04/msg00520.html

Just one of the demo examples needs to be replaced.

One thing is that postscripts do not apper in svg output.
I thing one solution could be to define a strokeFinger, something like :

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.18.2"

rH = \rightHandFinger \markup \concat {

    \override #'(thickness . 3)\draw-line #'(0 . 3)

    \hspace #-.2

    \override #'(thickness . 3)\draw-line #'(1 . 0)

}

lH = \rightHandFinger \markup \concat {

  \override #'(thickness . 3) \draw-line #'(0 . -3)

  \hspace #-.2

  \override #'(thickness . 3) \draw-line #'(1 . 0)

}

\relative c'' {

  \set strokeFingerOrientations = #'(left)

  \override StrokeFinger.padding = #-.8

  c\rH c\lH f,\rH f\lH

}

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

HTH,

~Pierre

On 2/5/14 12:47 AM, Robin Bannister wrote:
> Thomas Ruedas wrote:
>  > the second a fatal error,
>  > I guess that is due to compatibility issues,
>> because the hacks seem to be several years old
> But the thumbBracket code still works; see the recent
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2014-04/msg00520.html
I have finally found time to try it, and yes, after conversion to the
up-to-date version of Lilypond that I use it does indeed work as
advertised. Thanks, Robin, for pointing me to this post and for this
hack; I hope something of that sort will eventually make it into
standard Lilypond.
Best,
Thomas